Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Is that Gamesager?
Posted By: Apirishin <apirishin1@gmail.com>Date: 11/6/11 10:04 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Is that Gamesager? (Gravemind)

: I've been on the receiving end of a Banshee spawn raping fest several times,
: including once by ol' Gamesager. That "snowballing" thing you
: talk about is very true. Someone who's not good with the Banshee will get
: shot down quickly, though an ace can get huge multikills, killstreaks,
: and, in Slayer, Perfections. I'm decent and can do some damage with the
: Banshee, but I've never just utterly dominated with it. I think the best
: spree I've gotten with on is a Killing Frenzy, with maybe a Running Riot
: in there. But against an ace who's spawn camping, well, there's only so
: much one man with a DMR can do, especially considering vehicles have
: regenerating HP.

Hi All,

Long time lurk, first time post. I'll save more formal and verbose introductions for later.

For now, I'd like to focus my verbosity on this topic and add to the discussion, and I generally agree with the main dissenting points brought up in this thread: the Banshee is overpowered, particularly in Invasion/BTB, and especially when the game swings in favor of one team as uberfoop brought up. I've been on both ends of that...the game ends very quickly.

However, I'd like to add comments regarding the Banshee vis a vis objective gametypes in BTB (which are voted for constantly) and also Elite gametypes. At least in straight up slayer games, you can loadout in armor lock, so if the Banshee does close in, you can survive one or two fuel rod blasts per armor lock charge before getting destroyed and also deal some damage before you go. In fact, someone in Eli's video did this and very nearly EMP'd/Rejected him in the process.

Loading out with armor lock opens up some space/time for your team to shoot the Banshee down...if your team is competent, and when you go in by yourself all the time with a slate of randoms as I do, this is seldom the case (but the Halo-IQ of the general Reach population is a separate subject). But at least armor lock gives you a fighting chance against any vehicle, and if multiple people on your team employ this strategy, it increases your chances of survival by directing the Banshee's fire toward invulnerable targets.

Not so in objective gametypes. As everyone knows, armor lock is not an available loadout in objective gametypes (and I think there are good reasons for this in the name of overall balance), but this means your chance of survival on Banshee-included maps drops to near zero if you are unlucky enough to spawn out in the open. You might be able to buy yourself a few moments jetpacking, but even evading doesn't put you out of range of the fuel rod canon.

And then there's Elite gametypes, which I personally love because of the increasd movement speed and maneuverability...makes you feel like a badass, and I also like being able to move from one end of a map to the other in under 90 seconds. But in Elite gametypes, pretty much whichever team gets the Banshee wins, it's that simple. Sure, everyone more or less spawns with plasma pistols, but they're completely useless at range, not to mention that the Banshee is so maneuverable you sometimes don't even score a hit if you get a lock with the PP.

Furthermore, none of the Elite's ranged weapons do considerable damage to vehicles in general (needle rifle rounds bounce off of the damn things for God's sake), and the Elite power weapons either can't lock on (Fuel Rod, which is completely useless unless the Banshee or other vehicle is at near point-blank range or you're jetpacking and raining green blobs of death from the heavens), or they do lock on but are so easy to dodge they're laughable (Plamsa Launcher, though more specifically for Banshees than other vehicles).

I think the real point here, and perhaps the strongest argument for the Banshee being overpowered, is NOT the fact that Eli got 49 kills all by himself. That the number is so high is just a red herring, because the fact of the matter is that even if he had gotten one half or one third of that number in the same amount of time before getting shot down, his team would have had such a significant lead already that the game would have likely been unwinnable.

Now, in theory, you could make this argument with other vehicles, too, that something like the Wraith is capable of dealing a similar amount of damage in a short amount of time, particularly in a spawn-killing environment. But a player cannot achieve this in the Wraith without help from his or her team. The Wraith is simply too vulnerable to sustained DMR fire, and it doesn't have the turning speed, mortar speed, or firing speed capable of completely dominating the ENTIRE spawn area of the other team, though it can lock down parts of it quite easly. The Banshee can render the spawn area for an ENTIRE TEAM unsafe.

I'd note that the only other vehicle capable of locking down an entire spawn area in this way is the Scoprion, and that the only BTB map where it's available is Boneyard, where the (relatively) tighter confines somewhat mitigate this effect.

This is the real problem with the Banshee, the fact that it enables one player to spawn kill over the entirety of the other team's spawn zone, not just a section of it, and enables him or her to do so with infinite ammo and unparalleled maneuverability. Note the details of this categorization and how it (hopefully) demonstrates reasons why the Sniper Rifle doesn't meet the same criteria.

And the logic can be applied to any other hypothetical vehicle, and I would argue WAS applied when the Scoprion was removed from Hemorrhage. All you had to do was park that thing on the middle of the map and blast away to get 30-40 kills.

End of post. Hopefully this all made sense. I'm east coast U.S., and daylight savings time has me feeling like it's midnight already.

Looking forward to interacting more with the fine members of the HBO community.

~Ap

Message Index

Replies:

TGS Network Spotlight!Nak3d Eli 11/4/11 8:29 p.m.
     Re: TGS Network Spotlight!RC Master 11/4/11 10:21 p.m.
           Re: TGS Network Spotlight!Phoenix_9286 11/5/11 12:14 p.m.
           Re: TGS Network Spotlight!HC Sangheili 11/7/11 9:54 a.m.
     Teen Girl Squad? *NM*kanbo 11/4/11 11:22 p.m.
     Re: TGS Network Spotlight!Vandle Valsher 11/5/11 2:50 p.m.
           Re: TGS Network Spotlight!Phoenix_9286 11/5/11 3:19 p.m.
                 Re: TGS Network Spotlight!AarrowOM 11/5/11 5:47 p.m.
                       Re: TGS Network Spotlight!Nak3d Eli 11/5/11 8:11 p.m.
                             Re: TGS Network Spotlight!BanditORR 11/5/11 8:52 p.m.
                             Re: TGS Network Spotlight!RC Master 11/5/11 11:51 p.m.
                                   Re: TGS Network Spotlight!Phoenix_9286 11/5/11 11:56 p.m.
                             Re: TGS Network Spotlight!AarrowOM 11/6/11 3:01 a.m.
                             Insert negative post here.Vandle Valsher 11/6/11 1:07 p.m.
                             Condescend much?Revenant1988 11/7/11 2:11 p.m.
                                   +1 *NM*UnrealCh13f 11/7/11 2:58 p.m.
                                   Over the line.Louis Wu 11/7/11 3:00 p.m.
                                         Re: Over the line.Revenant1988 11/7/11 6:42 p.m.
     Is that Gamesager?Gravemind 11/6/11 4:40 a.m.
           Re: Is that Gamesager?uberfoop 11/6/11 12:26 p.m.
                 Re: Is that Gamesager?Gravemind 11/6/11 4:28 p.m.
                       Re: Is that Gamesager?Apirishin 11/6/11 10:04 p.m.
                             Look forward to seeing more from you. *NM*Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) 11/8/11 11:39 a.m.
                             Well said. *NM*bluerunner 11/8/11 1:02 p.m.
                             Re: Is that Gamesager?SEspider 11/8/11 10:36 p.m.
     Holy Crap.UnrealCh13f 11/7/11 11:55 a.m.
           +1 *NM*Phoenix_9286 11/7/11 12:33 p.m.
                 Re: +2 *NM*UNSC Trafalgar 11/7/11 12:35 p.m.
                       +3 *NM*SonofMacPhisto 11/7/11 12:39 p.m.
                             +4 *NM*Beckx 11/7/11 12:47 p.m.
           +5AladelAngel 11/7/11 12:51 p.m.
           Re: Holy Crap.DMFanella 11/7/11 1:00 p.m.
           About Naked Eli v2...hezekiah 11/7/11 2:20 p.m.
           Re: Holy Crap.SonGoharotto 11/7/11 3:06 p.m.
           Thank you.iMonkey777 11/7/11 4:44 p.m.
                 The only way to prevent stuff like this...Gravemind 11/7/11 8:59 p.m.
                       Why is everyone killing this guy???cardo 8 atl 11/8/11 4:21 a.m.
                             Re: Why is everyone killing this guy???Beckx 11/8/11 8:14 a.m.
                                   Nak3d Eli Manning? *NM*Ibeechu 11/8/11 8:29 a.m.
                                         I'm going to gouge my eyes w/ an ice cream scoop *NM*Beckx 11/8/11 9:05 a.m.
                             Re: Why is everyone killing this guy???Revenant1988 11/8/11 9:31 a.m.
                                   Re: Why is everyone killing this guy???DMFanella 11/8/11 11:17 a.m.
                                         Re: Why is everyone killing this guy???Revenant1988 11/8/11 11:26 a.m.
                             Re: Why is everyone killing this guy???Apirishin 11/8/11 11:41 a.m.
                             Re: Why is everyone killing this guy???Nak3d Eli 11/11/11 4:55 p.m.
                                   Re: Why is everyone killing this guy???munky-058 11/11/11 5:08 p.m.
                                         Unfair.Beckx 11/12/11 5:06 p.m.
                                               Re: Unfair.General Vagueness 11/12/11 11:51 p.m.
                                         Re: Why is everyone killing this guy???Hawaiian Pig 11/12/11 11:10 p.m.
                                   Re: Why is everyone killing this guy???SonofMacPhisto 11/11/11 6:34 p.m.
                                   Re: Why is everyone killing this guy???RC Master 11/12/11 10:08 a.m.
                                         Re: Why is everyone killing this guy???SonofMacPhisto 11/12/11 10:28 a.m.
                                         Re: Why is everyone killing this guy???Kermit 11/12/11 1:05 p.m.
                       Re: The only way to prevent stuff like this...AarrowOM 11/8/11 2:33 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.