Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Modernized weapons in CEA?
Posted By: Narcogen <narcogen@rampancy.net>Date: 6/9/11 12:56 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Modernized weapons in CEA? (Rockslider)

: They may've had a more limited idea of the term 'gameplay' in mind, perhaps
: thinking of it as the levels, the enemy layouts and behaviours, and so on.
: In that sense, they could say what they did and be true to their word.
: Another explanation is that they're just speaking a bit loosely. For
: publicity movies like this, maximum accuracy wouldn't be their overriding
: concern I think (even though weapon characteristics are a pretty major
: gameplay aspect in my book).

I see two major technical possibilities.

One runs pretty much like what Frankie said-- that this is Halo 1's code, the same code that ran the original game, and the same code that is in the Games on Demand edition still available for sale. (Wonder if they'll pull that.)

They've added hooks into that so that an entirely new, presumably native to the 360's hardware, rendering engine can intercept the instructions that Halo's core gameplay code sends to Halo 1's rendering code, so that it can produce new textures, new models, and new effects.

Also, somehow, it adds network coop. Not sure how that happens in this scenario, really-- it's an open question, since Halo 1 didn't even have this on LAN, and we've been given to understand that it was a major, major technical hurdle that was only overcome with the release of Halo 3 (which also added Theater mode).

The other possibility is that when Frankie talks about the "original gameplay" and the "actual code" he's talking about a much smaller subset of what Halo 1 does-- that he's talking about the scripting. That kind of approach could produce something that would be much more like an approximation of Halo 1 than a port of Halo 1. The new engine would be approximating what goes on in Halo 1, and offering two separate rendering pipelines-- the old one and the new one. However, I have my doubts that such an approximation could be so accurate that you can allow switching rendering pipelines during the action without introducing any inconsistencies.

A lot, I suppose, depends on where the new rendering layer really came from. If it's the Reach or Halo 3 engine (and that's where the network coop feature comes in) then the latter scenario may be more likely.

If the new engine is, as I've read, the Saber Interactive engine, then the former scenario is more likely-- in which case, it should be as close to Halo 1 as it is possible to get while still getting a graphical update, and I'm unclear as to how network coop gets in, and pessimistic about the possibility of theater mode.

rampancy.net

Message Index

Replies:

Modernized weapons in CEA?Rockslider 6/7/11 9:37 p.m.
     the audio is updatedkidtsunami 6/7/11 9:40 p.m.
           Re: the audio is updatedINSANEdrive 6/7/11 9:47 p.m.
                 Re: the audio is updatedkidtsunami 6/7/11 9:54 p.m.
                       *Noted* *NM*INSANEdrive 6/7/11 9:57 p.m.
                       Re: the audio is updatedPhoenix_9286 6/7/11 10:55 p.m.
                             touchè *NM*kidtsunami 6/7/11 10:58 p.m.
           Re: the audio is updatedNarcogen 6/8/11 3:00 a.m.
           More needler evidenceRockslider 6/9/11 8:13 a.m.
                 Re: More needler evidenceNsU Soldier 6/9/11 11:56 p.m.
                       PAL realizationRockslider 6/10/11 6:58 a.m.
                             Re: PAL realizationThe Loot 6/10/11 2:02 p.m.
                                   Re: PAL realizationRockslider 6/10/11 2:55 p.m.
                                         Re: PAL realizationBry 6/10/11 3:36 p.m.
                                               Re: PAL realizationThe Loot 6/10/11 4:05 p.m.
                                               Re: PAL realizationRockslider 6/10/11 4:26 p.m.
                                                     Re: PAL realizationBry 6/10/11 5:16 p.m.
                                                           Re: PAL realizationRockslider 6/11/11 4:12 a.m.
                                                                 Really Important CEA QuestionNsU Soldier 6/12/11 3:00 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Really Important CEA QuestionRockslider 6/12/11 4:00 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Really Important CEA QuestionNsU Soldier 6/12/11 8:02 p.m.
                                         Re: PAL realizationGeneral Vagueness 6/11/11 3:25 p.m.
                                               Re: PAL realizationGeneral Vagueness 6/11/11 3:32 p.m.
                                                     Re: PAL realizationRockslider 6/11/11 3:45 p.m.
     Re: Modernized weapons in CEA?BanditORR 6/7/11 10:41 p.m.
           Re: Modernized weapons in CEA?Rockslider 6/8/11 8:53 a.m.
                 Re: Modernized weapons in CEA?Narcogen 6/9/11 12:56 a.m.
     Re: Modernized weapons in CEA?Buttskunk 6/7/11 11:24 p.m.
           Re: Modernized weapons in CEA?nomis78 6/8/11 1:36 a.m.
     Funny what aesthetics can do.uberfoop 6/7/11 11:35 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.