Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo Wars sexism - frigid Anders
Posted By: Quirel <I_am_quirel@hotmail.com>Date: 4/15/11 12:32 a.m.

In Response To: Halo Wars sexism - frigid Anders (scarab)

: How can anyone discuss sexism and Ellen Anders without mentioning that
: gigantic Freudian Slip?

: Her special ability is the freeze blast. Thats right, her special power is
: frigidity!

You know, it always bothered me how utterly useless her character was.

When you get down to it, Anders getting kidnapped is purely a plot device. When it happens, the Covenant have been defeated on Arcadia with a combination of Deus Ex Machina and sloppy storywriting. There's really no place for the story to get from Point B (Arcadia) to Point C (Dyson-Sphere... thingy) so Anders got kidnapped.

Don't get me wrong; plot devices are not necessarily bad. The difference between a good one and a bad one is how much effort you spend to hide it. The whole thing starts with the Arbiter retrieving Anders for what is, admittedly, a rather contrived reason (Prophet admit he needs a Human to activate Forerunner machinery? Just another dent in the wall). Because of his incompetence (OK, given that Anders and Forge were traveling alone, all-around incompetence) he actually has to accept Anders' offer of "Don't kill him, and I'll come quietly".

The question of Anders' captivity is solved by yet another round of incompetence. When the ultra-dedicated, trained from birth, cream of the crop honor guards are staring off at the sights, Anders runs to a teleporter (How did she know it was there?) says "Surface" (How exactly were the portals in GoO managed?) and instantly appears less than 30 meters from Forge (In a micro-Dyson sphere, which ought to at least have the surface area of the moon...).

What I'm getting at here is, what is worse?
A damsel in distress plot that is fully realized, and integrated into the character of the players in the story?
Or a damsel in distress plot where the damsel essentially manages to slip her fetters and escape her room, but is only used to advance the plot when you don't want to think of anything else?

Message Index

Replies:

Halo Wars sexism - frigid Andersscarab 4/14/11 6:28 a.m.
     Re: Halo Wars sexism - frigid AndersThe More Deluded 4/14/11 10:07 a.m.
     Re: Halo Wars sexism - frigid AndersLurono 4/14/11 4:35 p.m.
           Re: Halo Wars sexism - frigid Andersscarab 4/14/11 5:58 p.m.
           Re: Halo Wars sexism - frigid AndersStephen L. (SoundEffect) 4/14/11 8:46 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Wars sexism - frigid AndersDragonclaws 4/14/11 11:42 p.m.
                       Re: Halo Wars sexism - frigid AndersStephen L. (SoundEffect) 4/15/11 6:27 a.m.
     Re: Halo Wars sexism - frigid AndersDragonclaws 4/14/11 11:35 p.m.
           Re: Halo Wars sexism - frigid AndersDragonclaws 4/15/11 12:33 a.m.
                 Re: Halo Wars sexism - frigid AndersQuirel 4/15/11 12:48 a.m.
                       Re: Halo Wars sexism - frigid AndersDragonclaws 4/15/11 1:18 a.m.
           Re: Halo Wars sexism - frigid Andersscarab 4/15/11 12:37 a.m.
                 Re: Halo Wars sexism - frigid AndersDragonclaws 4/15/11 1:26 a.m.
     Re: Halo Wars sexism - frigid AndersQuirel 4/15/11 12:32 a.m.
           Re: Halo Wars sexism - frigid Andersscarab 4/15/11 12:48 a.m.
                 Re: Halo Wars sexism - frigid AndersQuirel 4/15/11 12:59 a.m.
                       Re: Halo Wars sexism - frigid AndersDragonclaws 4/15/11 1:47 a.m.
                             Re: Halo Wars sexism - frigid AndersQuirel 4/15/11 6:22 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.