Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Mo Ye Connection in Halo
Posted By: AngelicLionheart <AngelicLionheart@gmail.com>Date: 2/27/10 12:36 a.m.

In Response To: Re: (yet more) Evolutions thoughts/questions (Louis Wu)

: Incidentally, did anyone figure out what or whom Mo Ye is named after? And
: what the connection to the story is?

~The Frankster

: Interesting. Google comes up with this - but I'm not sure that I can find a
: connection to the story in that.

~Ghengis Wu, Khan of the East

I have been essentially offline for a while now, not able to surf the tubes as I'd like, but I saw this from my Mom's old dinosaur of a PC and just had to pop in, even though the forum will now (because I've logged in in order to post) mark ALL posts as not needing the "haven't read this one yet!" gray background that I so enjoy the convenience of :( . I will catch up on the rest of the forum, Halo Evolutions and Halo Legends discussions especially, later (I hope), but for now, let me suggest this possible connection, Claude:

From Wikipedja:
"Gan Jiang (Chinese: 干將; pinyin: Gān Jiàng) and Mo Ye (Chinese: 莫邪; pinyin: Mò Yé) was the name of a famous swordsmith couple in the Spring and Autumn Period of China, and also the name of the famed twin blades named after the two."

"The ... two swords were called "Gan Jiang" and "Mo Ye" after the two blacksmiths who forged them."

"In some interpretations of the tale, Mo Ye was said to have sacrificed herself in the furnace to melt the metal so that the sword could be forged."

Which reminded me of the connection between Smart AIs and the human brains that were used to forge them. Which is very cool, because you have this connection between Smart AIs and swords, much like Cortana and the sword her namesake finds its origin in. Not only that, but perhaps this less-than-absolutely-canonical visualization of someone willingly giving up their life (or maybe just their brain lol) to make this special kind of "blade" possible; I got that visualization from the interpretation of the tale where Mo Ye was said to have sacrificed herself in the furnace to melt the metal so that the sword could be forged.

So was the Smart AI Mo Ye from a brain of someone named Mo Ye? Was the "blade" named after her maker? If so, I wonder what the story behind the human Mo Ye was....?

I haven't gotten a chance to read that really cool post by Cortana5 about Bungie's connection to Legendary Swords, but, having a name that literally means "Sword" (Brandon-> Nordish word for "sword" was "brand") I very much look forward to it. Just waiting on a hard drive RMA process right now... :\ (my WD Raptor X died)

I really like how this kinda also ties into the old Samurai belief in the connection between the sword and its wielder... as though the soul of the warrior was in his blade. Very poetic.

So am I off in left field, Frankie?

Message Index

Replies:

(yet more) Evolutions thoughts/questionsArithmomaniac 2/24/10 9:16 p.m.
     Re: (yet more) Evolutions thoughts/questionsStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/24/10 10:12 p.m.
           Re: (yet more) Evolutions thoughts/questionsArithmomaniac 2/25/10 11:48 a.m.
     Re: (yet more) Evolutions thoughts/questionsFrankie 2/26/10 12:32 p.m.
     Re: (yet more) Evolutions thoughts/questionsFrankie 2/26/10 12:33 p.m.
           Re: (yet more) Evolutions thoughts/questionsLouis Wu 2/26/10 1:12 p.m.
                 Re: (yet more) Evolutions thoughts/questionsMercury 2/26/10 1:31 p.m.
                 Mo Ye Connection in HaloAngelicLionheart 2/27/10 12:36 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.