glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re:Mattick still with MS in 1-2 months (long rant)
Posted By: geekinabox <geekinabox@gmail.com>Date: 7/27/08 3:04 p.m.

In Response To: Mattrick still with MS in 1-2 months? (SonofMacPhisto)

: In about 2-3 months, we need to check and see if any of these Microsoft VP
: knuckleheads are still with the company, or at least if they are no longer
: in the game publishing department.

I've been thinking a lot about this, too, and here's where I think it gets more complicated. Depsite leading off E3 with features for the 'hardcore' (fallout, GoW, etc.), MS made it clear in the latter 2/3s of their presentation that this E3 was really about broadening the 360's market, especially in the casual/social space. The weird thing is that this is not how E3 '08 was marketed -- little 'mainstream' media was invited, the public was not invited -- it was largely the dedicated gaming media.

I can't image Mattick or anyone getting canned over this -- at least not in the next 2-6 months. Because right now they can (legitimately) say that they are trying to rebuild the brand in a way to grab a new customer base. Like it or not, I think all of the current-gen consoles are likely to follow some of that model, for financial reasons if no other.

Thus we get stuck in this weird dichotomy where then need to devote substantial time to the casual/non-traditional gamer. And whatever energies don't go that way get devoted to satisfying the needs of near-term-games & studios (ie, those in '08) -- hence, Fallout, GoW, Fable. Couple that will the need to justify the hardcorishness of the 360 as being 'more than the Halo console' I'm not surprised that they did what they did.

Not being apologetic, but I don't think deep inside business halls of MS that they really view this as a bad thing. Face it: though they pissed off us Halo technorati, have they really negatively affected the console? Aren't you going to buy the next Bungie-emblazoned Superintended property *no*matter*what*? If anything, they know that they have us as a captive (though pissed off) audience, and, if anything, hope that their overall presentation got them *NEW* business.

I view the biggest danger for MS as being that of (eventually) loosing their 'ownership' of Bungie properties ... ride now Bungie seems largely contractually bound to Ballmer's House -- piss off Luke enough, though, and you're gonna see him holding a yard sale for the next Bungie IP.

Message Index

Replies:

Microsoft [err Frankie] hints at 'HaloCon' eventgeekinabox 7/26/08 7:39 p.m.
     Re: Microsoft [err Frankie] hints at 'HaloCon' eveAvateur 7/26/08 7:51 p.m.
           Re: Microsoft [err Frankie] hints at 'HaloCon' eveVVM 7/26/08 7:59 p.m.
                 Re: Microsoft [err Frankie] hints at 'HaloCon' eveSiber 7/26/08 8:11 p.m.
                 Mattrick still with MS in 1-2 months?SonofMacPhisto 7/26/08 11:05 p.m.
                       Re: Mattrick still with MS in 1-2 months?bedlam 7/27/08 2:13 a.m.
                       Re:Mattick still with MS in 1-2 months (long rant)geekinabox 7/27/08 3:04 p.m.
                             Devil's AdvocateNarcogen 7/27/08 11:34 p.m.
           Re: Microsoft [err Frankie] hints at 'HaloCon' evePsychophan7 7/26/08 8:14 p.m.
           Marty ArmyNarcogen 7/27/08 11:23 p.m.
                 Re: Marty Armyj41m3z 7/27/08 11:42 p.m.
     *sniff* I miss Frankie343winks. 7/26/08 9:10 p.m.
           *sniff* I miss MattNarcogen 7/27/08 11:35 p.m.
                 Re: *sniff* I miss MattThorsHammer 7/28/08 8:06 a.m.
     Re: Microsoft [err Frankie] hints at 'HaloCon' eveurk 7/27/08 12:15 a.m.
           Re: Microsoft [err Frankie] hints at 'HaloCon' evegeekinabox 7/27/08 2:49 p.m.
                 Re: Microsoft [err Frankie] hints at 'HaloCon' eveNarcogen 7/29/08 3:19 a.m.
     I would be there in a flash. *NM*Urban Reflex 7/27/08 3:26 a.m.
     between the linesMiguel Chavez 7/27/08 9:11 p.m.
           even more between the linesNarcogen 7/27/08 11:38 p.m.
                 Re: even more between the linesMiguel Chavez 7/28/08 12:41 a.m.
                       Re: even more between the linesNarcogen 7/28/08 2:34 a.m.
                             Re: even more between the linesTygron 7/28/08 2:59 a.m.
           Re: between the linesRoss Mills 7/28/08 5:19 p.m.
                 Re: between the linesMarty the Elder 7/28/08 9:12 p.m.
                       Re: between the linesNarcogen 7/28/08 11:24 p.m.
                       Re: between the linesRoss Mills 7/29/08 2:24 p.m.
                             Re: between the linesLouis Wu 7/29/08 2:27 p.m.
     How awesome would BungieCon be?! *NM*General Vagueness 7/28/08 7:17 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.