glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

mrbananas last theory part 2 (continued)
Posted By: mrbananas <mryappa@yahoo.com>Date: 4/5/07 2:29 p.m.

In Response To: mrbananas last theory part 1 (long) (mrbananas)

Additions from Halo Graphic Novel

From the Last voyage of the infinite succor Non-sentient animals keep in a hunting preserve on board the covenant ship become infected by the flood. Not only does this prove that Cognitive capabilities doesn't mean sentience, but it also supports my claim that the halo ring must target based upon sufficient biomass and not sentience. Since non-sentient animals can be infect by the flood, in order for halo to effectively work it could not be a weapon that only kills sentient life forms. This also strikes a hard blow at the possibility for separate race of Reclaimers to have survived Halo's activation due to being under evolved to just below sentience. Human ancestors would have been a potential vector.

Also from the same story is support that the Flood operate as a collective mind that can communicate amongst themselves. This comes from the fact that once team mates were infected the Flood were able unlock doors and use the codes to access all of the ships systems. This collective capability to think also points toward the flood as a sentient species considering that the flood is capable of reading knowledge from a hosts mind and then being able to apply it and share it amongst its comrades, all of which are then able to apply it. While anyone can train a dog, its different story to see dogs sharing technological information a between themselves and teaching each other advanced concepts and ideas.

From Second Sunrise over New Mombassa a Covenant Elite says this:

32 "We need to clear this area before we can secure access to The Ark"

This confirms that the ark is indeed on earth and that is in or near New Mombassa.
Considering that the halo 3 trailer takes place in New Mombassa we can conclude that the forerunner structure seen either is the Ark or is some how related to the Ark. This also confirms that the prophet of Regret’s reasons for coming to Earth was because he was looking for the Ark and that it was most likely that the Covenant learned about earth's coordinates simply because it was the recorded location of an important Forerunner structure. The Covenant probably did not know about the name of the planet that the ark was on or the fact that the planet was humanities’ home world.

*SPOILERS* Ghost of Onyx

I have keep all pieces of evidence in regards to Onyx separate from the main bulk because firstly the main bulk was written before GoO and also because some people have not read the book yet. While everything above is capable of standing on its own, everything below only adds to. The events from GoO can be applied in many different ways and a deeper look into the events occurring there can be made for now I am just going to look at the things which affect the ancient past of Halo, not the present time politics.

33 The drone crept closer. His own voice blasted though his helmet’s speaker: “Fhejelet’Pnught Juber.”
Ash shook his head clear. “I don’t understand.” He held up his hands spread wide and shrugged – the universal I-don’t-know gesture.
“Fhejelet non sequitur, now?”
“I got part of that,” Ash said. “Non sequitur- that’s Latin, right?”
Pg 133

In quote #33 a Sentinel confronts one of the Spartan IIIs and speaks to him. What I found interesting is that the default language spoken has speakable words, vs. being something completely alien like high pitched squeals or barking or etc… Think about it for a second. Humans are capable of producing billions of different sounds from our tongue. As a result we have tons of different foreign language. While I can’t understand Chinese, they are still words/sounds capable of being reproduced by my tongue. The fact that the sentinel is speaking understandable words somewhat supports that possibility that the forerunner language is just another human foreign language. Considering that if humans are forerunners, since the tongue has not changed, then both should be capable of speaking the others language. The fact that the sentinel spoke Latin in seeking a base language is also surprising. What’s even more surprising is that the sentinel understood the universal I-don’t-know gesture which is universal amongst humans.

What’s even more surprising about the Latin is that it spoke it perfectly, without ever hearing Latin spoken to it. If someone spoke Spanish to you, I would find it odd if managed to then perfectly speak Spanish without any prior history with the language, or even the languages spoke by the human race. While Latin my not have been the language of the forerunners, this goes to show that the sentinels have had enough knowledge about the various types of languages or tongues can produce and being able to recognize a specie’s and its capable languages by just a brief listening sample.

34 “Non sequitur,” it said. “reclassification of targets as non-Reclaimers. Aboriginal subspecies. Collect for further analysis-else neutralize as possible infection vector.” Pg. 133

In quote #34 the biggest thing is the use of the term subspecies. For those of you who don’t know the scientific meaning behind subspecies, subspecies are groups of organisms which are still members of the same species and capable of interbreeding to produce fertile offspring. In essence dog breeds are subspecies since different breeds can intermix to produce hybrid offspring.

By calling Ash a subspecies, Ash is still a member of the same species as Reclaimers. Why is Ash called a subspecies? Part could be due to his ignorance of anything forerunner, but it could also be due to his augmentation. Unlike the Spartans II’s, the third company of Spartan IIIs underwent special augmentations of the brain to give them an increased bestial instinct during periods of great stress in order to improved the Spartan III’s survival rate.

35 She bent closer to the last pod and ran her fingers over the forerunner icons along its side, translating as she did so: “ ‘That which must be protected…behind the sharpened edge of the shield…beyond the reach of the swords…for the reclaimed.’ No, that’s not quite the correct meaning.”
“Reclaimed…” Ash echoed. “Maybe ‘Reclaimer’?”
Pg. 337

36 Holographic icons swarmed over the control surface. Voro read them, shouting the divine passage to his soldiers: “The dark times are upon us…Unsheathe thy swords and smite…The Ark will be your guide…And bless the reclaimers that may take refuge behind the sharpened edge of the Shield…Wonder beyond awaits.” Pg 351

37 “If all this is true, Doctor,” Fred said, “and the Forerunners built this as a refuge, a bomb shelter to protect from the Halos or the Flood, then why aren’t they here?”
Dr. Halsey shrugged and uttered the words no one thought her capable of: “I don’t know.” She closed her laptop. “Did something go wrong with their plan? Or did everything go as planned? We may never know. Why the Flood survives today and where the Forerunners went are complete mysteries we have yet to solve.”
Pg 381

38 “When you said the Forerunner translation for Onyx was ‘shield world,’” he whispered, “that was a literal translation, wasn’t it?” Pg 276

39 “There’s so much here,” Dr. Halsey whispered. “I’ve confirmed this world is part of the Forerunners’ plan together with Halo rings – their ‘sword’ and ‘shield.’ Other parts still elude me. There is a reference to the ‘ark.’ I have yet to determine if something went wrong…why they are not here.” Pg 310

In Quote #39 and #37 it gets clearly established that Halo, Onyx, and the Ark are all part of one bigger plan and each plays an important role in it. When originally just looking at the Halos, from the first Halo game, the only plan that could be seen was that the halos were a weapon of mass destruction for wiping out the flood. However we know now that there was far more to this plan than just defeating the flood. Onyx shows that a part of the much bigger forerunner picture included self preservation as well and not just complete sacrifice of the entire Forerunner race to defeat a foe.

When you look at all of the above quotes, Onyx is called a shield world. Halo was originally called a fortress world but now is being called a sword. Where does this place the Ark in the grade scheme of things?

Well in quote #36, the Covenant’s translations call the Ark a guide. Going back, to the original theory, if the human race truly are the forerunners, then Ark in part would seem like some sort of means for guiding the Reclaimers/new forerunners back to all of their abandoned technologies which are scattered across the galaxy so that they can go reclaim them quickly. The Prophet of Regret discovered the location of Delta Halo while he was on earth looking for/investigating the Ark. The Ark or some ruins around it, told Regret exactly where to find a Halo ring. The Ark is a road map to the Forerunner’s Halo rings. It is also the backup emergency failsafe for remotely activating the Halo rings should they fail to fire on their own. The Ark is already known for these important features but is there more? If Onyx is the starting location for the new Forerunner race called the Reclaimers then why would the Ark be located so far away? How is the emergency failsafe going to be useful if the forerunner are bunkered down and hiding else where, especially when threats like the flood could easily end up standing in between Onyx and the Ark?

37 “If all this is true, Doctor,” Fred said, “and the Forerunners built this as a refuge, a bomb shelter to protect from the Halos or the Flood, then why aren’t they here?”
Dr. Halsey shrugged and uttered the words no one thought her capable of: “I don’t know.” She closed her laptop. “Did something go wrong with their plan? Or did everything go as planned? We may never know. Why the Flood survives today and where the Forerunners went are complete mysteries we have yet to solve.”
Pg 381

39 “There’s so much here,” Dr. Halsey whispered. “I’ve confirmed this world is part of the Forerunners’ plan together with Halo rings – their ‘sword’ and ‘shield.’ Other parts still elude me. There is a reference to the ‘ark.’ I have yet to determine if something went wrong…why they are not here.” Pg 310

In quotes #37 and #39 Halsey establishes the possibility of failure in the forerunners big picture plan, just like I already suggested early on. However, before we can establish if the plan was a failure our not we need to know what the plan is and how all the parts fall together. To this I have several possibilities.

Right away some of you might have already questioned the need for Reseeding process as described early now that we have an established shield for keeping adults alive. While this might be true, there is also still room for the reseeding. For starters, let us not forget that Humanity started on earth, the location of the ark, not Onyx. If all Reclaimers were to have originated from Onyx or some other shield world, they would have to of somehow gotten to earth and then completely forgotten their quest. While not entirely impossible, it is also not supportable by anything except imaginative speculation.

We also can’t forget about the rest of the galaxy either. The forerunners and flood are not the only ones being wiped out by Halo and thereby needing to be preserved. Onyx might be great for keeping one sustainable planet’s worth environment and animals alive, but certainly not all life in the galaxy. There could be more Onyx like worlds out there, but then there is also the increased difficultly of capturing and containing live adults over unborn children. Every single adult is going have its own individual needs which need to be fore filled all through out capture, transfer to shield world, waiting time, and transfer back, where as an embryo can just be put on ice and takes up far less space than sustainable populations of adults. Also don’t forget about production costs and labor available during this major period of galactic crisis with the flood wars. On top of producing 7 halo super weapons across the galaxy, adding to that the Ark, trying to build an onyx for every planet with life forms on it would be very extreme.

However Onyx exist and plays an important role and so here are a couple of different simplified examples of what the master plan could have included:

-Reseeding process and Onyx combo. The Ark is used as a means to store and then reseed the entire galaxy after the halo activation. On Onyx, a few surviving forerunner adults and possibly even a few adult organism (to remove nannybot to some degree) would leave Onyx after reseeding to teach the larger new forerunner group all of the old culture and technology and knowledge that would have otherwise been lost by the reseeding process alone. This would not only prevent the old way of life from being forgotten, it could also speed up the rate of Reclaiming. The mighty Forerunner Empire would also be able to get back on its feet much earlier.

Also note that it would be more important for the failsafe for remote activation to be with the ark and not Onyx. The Ark would be more important because at least through the reseeding process alone the galaxy and the forerunners would be able to be reborn after Halo’s activation where as The small Group on Onyx alone would not be able to effectively restart life in the galaxy. In the end the scale weighs life vs. knowledge tipped in life’s favor. As for the Error, there could have been a mistake in the location of the ark, the survival of the Onyx members, or both or something else all together.

-Reseeding process alone, with Onyx as a failed experiment. We can not confirm that the forerunners ever actually hide inside of Onyx or that is say use during activation or Halo. Onyx could have been developed first and built, only then later abandoned for the Ark idea or could have been found that it wouldn’t have actually worked. However, considering that Onyx is still mentioned within the bigger forerunner plans, this is least likely. It is still possible that the error from the previous example could have simply been that the forerunners never made it to Onyx in time before activation for unforeseen reasons.

-Onyx without Reseeding. Reseeding seems entirely possible to be done within the halo universe but that doesn’t mean it was ever used or considered. However, let it stand that Humans = forerunner is not dependant upon the reseeding process. The Forerunners survival can then just be explained by using Onyx and then somehow coming to earth. Either way there is still a possible way by which the forerunners could have survived Halo. Waste your efforts on ensuring so other species survival when those same efforts could be used to save your own species.

-The Ark as a shield world like Onyx. Sort of a sub branch of the previous example but also going farther by making the Ark exactly the same as Onyx as an explanation as to why humanities starting location is the Ark and not the surface of Onyx. However, this is also speculation and also becomes difficult to explain how the earth could have been shield world all these years and also this would require to the Sentinels to be going berserk on Earth at the same time as they are on Onyx. Since Onyx timeline overlaps the war on earth when the other Spartans are summoned from earth to answer the distress on Onyx this seems highly unlikely.

mrbananas’s Final Remarks

Without this final section, the theory alone has stretched out to 24 Word document pages. You might be saying, wow mrbananas this is nice work, or geez this guy has no life. But as the title implied, this is the last halo theory I am going to ever write. So I wanted to make sure I said everything I was going to say in a completely formalized manner.

I would just like to state on my defense that this entire theory was not written all at once but was started a year ago with progression going on and off repeatedly. Also, around completion it then just sat around for another several months. The majority of the ideas were taken from all the previous theories I have written and put into a more organized and unified form. While a big part of the theory revolves around humans being forerunners, most of the other parts and pieces are capable of standing alone and applicable in may other paths of speculation.

Considering that it is a big, long theory, chances are that some questions might be getting answered in other sections. Don’t assume that when you see someone point out a disagreement that they have thoroughly checked the entire piece. The answer to their rebuttal might just lie hidden somewhere inside. I also acknowledge that many quotes are open to more than just the one interpretation I chose. Chances are that I am not going to be around to answer many questions

As far as I am concerned, I don’t even care if the theory turns out to be completely wrong. I have given my personalized educated “guess”, (emphasis on guess) and will be happy if even only a tiny section turns out to be only somewhat close to the truth. I am always open to the realm of possibilities and I don’t plan on having a mental break if I turn out to be wrong. If you have read this far then I thank you for taking the time to do so.

Message Index

Replies:

mrbananas last theory part 1 (long)mrbananas 4/5/07 2:26 p.m.
     mrbananas last theory part 2 (continued)mrbananas 4/5/07 2:29 p.m.
           BrilliantHikaru-119 4/13/07 3:20 p.m.
                 Re: BrilliantDHalo 4/13/07 3:47 p.m.
                       Re: BrilliantHikaru-119 4/13/07 4:00 p.m.
                             Re: BrilliantDHalo 4/13/07 4:02 p.m.
                             Re: BrilliantCthulhu117 4/13/07 4:02 p.m.
                                   Re: BrilliantHikaru-119 4/13/07 4:04 p.m.
                                         Re: BrilliantDHalo 4/13/07 4:06 p.m.
                                               Ah, yes...Cthulhu117 4/13/07 4:15 p.m.
                                                     Re: Ah, yes...mrbananas 4/13/07 7:40 p.m.
                                                           oh great!ActiveCamoElite 4/13/07 10:42 p.m.
                                                                 Re: oh great!mrbananas 4/14/07 12:58 p.m.
                                                                       the first great jouney! *NM*ActiveCamoElite 4/14/07 3:40 p.m.
           My thoughts exactlyHawaiian Pig 4/13/07 7:14 p.m.
           Re: mrbananas last theory part 2 (continued)maxthehedgie 4/13/07 9:45 p.m.
           Re: mrbananas last theory part 2 (continued)UrsusArctos 4/14/07 8:23 p.m.
                 Re: mrbananas last theory part 2 (continued)mrbananas 4/14/07 11:26 p.m.
                 Re: mrbananas last theory part 2 (continued)reprobate 4/22/07 6:25 a.m.
           Re: mrbananas last theory part 2 (continued)Guscon 4/15/07 10:36 a.m.
           To the end of arc, Mr Bananasyakaman 4/16/07 1:54 p.m.
                 Re: To the end of arc, Mr BananasUrsusArctos 4/22/07 8:03 a.m.
           Re: mrbananas last theory part 2 (continued)Davis Beutler 7/16/07 8:21 a.m.
     Re: mrbananas last theory part 1 (long)Ragashingo 4/5/07 11:09 p.m.
           Re: mrbananas last theory part 1 (long)7isdarker 4/13/07 6:20 p.m.
                 Re: mrbananas last theory part 1 (long)Cthulhu117 4/13/07 7:17 p.m.
     Re: mrbananas last theory part 1 (long)Quantum 4/13/07 8:31 p.m.
           Re: mrbananas last theory part 1 (long)Quantum 4/13/07 8:34 p.m.
     Re: mrbananas last theory part 1 (long)BINARYGOD 5/28/07 7:11 p.m.
     Re: mrbananas last theory part 1 (long)BINARYGOD 5/29/07 12:09 a.m.
           Re: mrbananas last theory part 1 (long)mrbananas 5/29/07 4:02 p.m.
     OH, I get it now.Izzinatah 5/29/07 12:58 a.m.
           Re: OH, I get it now.BINARYGOD 5/29/07 1:25 a.m.
                 Re: OH, I get it now.doober187 5/29/07 5:20 a.m.
     Re: mrbananas last theory part 1 (long)Druff 5/29/07 2:35 p.m.
           Re: mrbananas last theory part 1 (long)Tyler Koharik 7/25/07 10:48 p.m.
     One ProblemPak 6/24/07 11:39 a.m.
           Re: One Problem*-^Ghosts-of-Onyx^-* 6/24/07 9:42 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.