glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: I think something is gravely misunderstood...
Posted By: 3Suns <mrguenter@hotmail.com>Date: 9/30/06 7:08 a.m.

In Response To: I think something is gravely misunderstood... (Hawaiian Pig)

: Why does everyone assume Bungie is going to be "all up ons" these
: new projects? They've said it countless times "it's their project not
: ours, we're excited to see what comes out of it."

: They may drop in with a few "Hey, that's way off" here or there,
: but don't think Bungie is going to have a few reps in Ensemble or Wingnut
: every day keeping the direction in line.

: There seems to be much faith in both developers by Bungie, perhaps thats
: enough for some peace of mind (then again, could they really say "omg
: we have no faith!" ...don't think they'd get away with that).

Actually, I am not assuming anything. Bungie has stated over and over again that they love their Halo universe more than we do, and want to see that IP (its canon) treated with the same care and respect that they have already invested in it. They have reassured us numerous times that consistency in the Halo universe is of great importance to them.

I wholeheartedly agree with Bungie's approach to handling their valuable IP (though I have no idea what degree of faith or overseeing that requires). I agree with them that consistency is of great import, and I shout a loud, "Make it so" to Bungie. If they have the Halo 2 battle rifle show up in Halo Wars, explanations (or even a "Ensemble made an error") are going to be expected by the hardcore story lovers. If, on the other hand, the Arbiter from Halo 2 shows up in Halo Wars, it is going to turn off a large portion of the fanbase. That is not an error, that is just plain ignorance and laziness on the part of the developer. It shows tremendous disrespect for the canon and, more importantly, any gamer who has invested any time in the story.

I don't know how stretched they are. Their statement that these projects have not added an hour to the development of Halo 3, needs to be taken as it is intended - an assurance to the impatiently waiting fans that Halo 3 will be out just as soon as they can finish it, and that they are insulating the development process as best they can from all the other extra curricular activities going on. That none of what has been announced at X06 hasn't impacted the development calendar at all - now that is stretching it. Perhaps it won't impact the calendar from here on in, but you can bet it had an impact during the year before they were even willing to announce that they were making Halo 3. At some point in time, a lot of people spent a whole lot of time working on these things and in meetings. I don't think even Bungie is so efficient that they never pulled anyone away from their work on Halo 3 to discuss other projects. However, I do believe ;) that from here on in, development of Halo 3 will not be significantly impacted by any other activities Bungie is involved in. I have faith in them. ;)

: Perhaps Jackson's project will be more promising since he's spent much time
: with Staten and the movie which seems to have plenty of Bungie influence.
: At this point, I get the impression that he may as well be part of the
: Bungie team. However, while Ensemble may be a great RTS game producer, I
: don't know if they have the same "Bungie influence." What
: constitutes Bungie-influence? What occurs within those walls that makes
: these games so distinct? I do not know, and I'm not sure Enesemble will
: fully understand that. That trailer alone seemed very... non-bungie (We'll
: give them war? :/, Cool looking though).

I don't think we have much to worry about with the RTS as regards story, simply because it is an RTS. Ensemble basically takes a moment in space/time in the Halo universe and then gives the gamer the opportunity to see what kind of future can be created out of that moment (within the very limited . (It is possible that I am completely misunderstanding the RTS genre here - haven't ever played on myself).

As for PJ's games, he has greatly proven that he respects source material. My criticism of LoTR has little to do with how he treated the books, what he cut or added. He won't ruin any story stuff. I have faith in him in that regard.

: Bungie isn't stretching, they're watching. You're certainly right that these
: new games will have their own distinctive styles seperate from what we
: know to be "Halo." Which was my point all along.

Cool. I actually didn't get to your News-ed post until after I got into this thread. Good stuff!

Michael

Message Index

Replies:

Bungie Spread too Thin?dolbex 9/29/06 8:41 p.m.
     Oh... and Germans?dolbex 9/29/06 8:46 p.m.
           Re: Oh... and Germans?Ross Mills [subnova] 9/29/06 8:55 p.m.
           You're only partially right, Dolbex.Spenser 9/30/06 1:15 a.m.
                 Partially? I don't even know what it means... *NM*dolbex 9/30/06 9:29 a.m.
     Re: Bungie Spread too Thin?KP 9/29/06 8:53 p.m.
     a story for everyone and consistency is key3Suns 9/29/06 9:33 p.m.
     I think something is gravely misunderstood...Hawaiian Pig 9/30/06 12:02 a.m.
           Re: I think something is gravely misunderstood...Ross Mills [subnova] 9/30/06 1:05 a.m.
                 Re: I think something is gravely misunderstood...HipboyScott 9/30/06 11:52 a.m.
           Re: I think something is gravely misunderstood...3Suns 9/30/06 7:08 a.m.
           Re: I think something is gravely misunderstood...dolbex 9/30/06 9:20 a.m.
                 Agreed.Hawaiian Pig 9/30/06 3:10 p.m.
     Re: Bungie Spread too Thin?Jim Shorts 9/30/06 12:32 a.m.
           Re: Bungie Spread too Thin?KP 9/30/06 2:34 a.m.
                 Re: Bungie Spread too Thin?Stuntmutt 9/30/06 2:47 a.m.
                       Re: Bungie Spread too Thin?KP 9/30/06 4:01 a.m.
                 Re: Bungie Spread too Thin?Jim Shorts 9/30/06 8:56 a.m.
           Try to be more positive....OK.Captain Spark 9/30/06 10:00 a.m.
                 Re: Try to be more positive....OK.Jim Shorts 9/30/06 10:04 a.m.
                       Dammit Jim.....stop this negative shit.Captain Spark 9/30/06 10:38 a.m.
                             Hehehe.Saint 9/30/06 11:44 a.m.
                                   Re: Hehehe.Captain Spark 9/30/06 6:54 p.m.
                             I got a weird mental picture from this post. *NM*Document 9/30/06 2:14 p.m.
                                   Re: I got a weird mental picture from this post.Jim Shorts 9/30/06 2:43 p.m.
                                         Feh!Stuntmutt 9/30/06 2:57 p.m.
     Re: Bungie Spread too Thin?Jillybean 9/30/06 6:46 a.m.
     Re: Bungie Spread too Thin?Sep7imus [subnova] 9/30/06 8:06 a.m.
           Re: Bungie Spread too Thin?dolbex 9/30/06 9:28 a.m.
                 Re: Bungie Spread too Thin?Jim Shorts 9/30/06 9:40 a.m.
                       Re: Bungie Spread too Thin?Sep7imus [subnova] 9/30/06 9:50 a.m.
                       Re: Bungie Spread too Thin?Stuntmutt 9/30/06 9:51 a.m.
                             Re: Bungie Spread too Thin?Jillybean 9/30/06 10:38 a.m.
                                   Re: Bungie Spread too Thin?Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 9/30/06 10:49 a.m.
                                   Re: Bungie Spread too Thin?Document 9/30/06 2:11 p.m.
                 Re: Bungie Spread too Thin?Spenser 9/30/06 9:55 a.m.
                       My thoughts exactly. *NM* *NM*Saint 9/30/06 10:16 a.m.
                       Re: Bungie Spread too Thin?Document 9/30/06 2:13 p.m.
                       Re: Bungie Spread too Thin?Hawaiian Pig 9/30/06 3:15 p.m.
                             To coin a phrase...Saint 9/30/06 3:35 p.m.
                 Amen *NM*Hawaiian Pig 9/30/06 3:12 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.