glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Now that we have the Swahili translations...
Posted By: Narcogen <narcogen@rampancy.net>Date: 2/4/05 1:29 p.m.

In Response To: Now that we have the Swahili translations... (replay)

The "doctor" and "barber" provergs remind me of the quotation:

"Physician, heal thyself."

": The lion that goes quietly is the one who eats meat."

This probably is an awkward translation. In English this phrase seems to mean that the quiet lion is one that has already eaten; however, it seems likely to me that this is supposed to mean that it is the stealthy predator that is successful-- something more like "It is the quiet lion that catches its prey" or something similar. Idioms are always difficult to translate.

The "today is today" proverb seems reminiscent of the trailer quote, "there are those who said this day would never come". Perhaps it is suggesting that today is today, not tomorrow-- and therefore that Truth is a liar for suggesting otherwise. Truth is basically saying that tomorrow has come-- that tomorrow is today. I didn't see this as a reference to the broken Covenant, per se.

Whatever else it might be, the "fight fire with fire" proverb might also be an oblique Marathon level name reference.

I think much may hinge on whether or not "maji" has meanings, either denotative or connotative, besides "water".

Sacred Icon

Message Index

Replies:

Now that we have the Swahili translations...replay 2/4/05 2:39 a.m.
     Re: Now that we have the Swahili translations...FrogBlast 2/4/05 5:31 a.m.
     Nifty! This should be on the HSPGrady 2/4/05 8:30 a.m.
     Re: Now that we have the Swahili translations...jharla1 2/4/05 1:28 p.m.
     Re: Now that we have the Swahili translations...Narcogen 2/4/05 1:29 p.m.
           And, the most important part...gspawn 2/4/05 1:56 p.m.
           Re: Now that we have the Swahili translations...Louis Wu 2/4/05 2:13 p.m.
     Re: Now that we have the Swahili translations...Sep7imus [subnova] 2/4/05 1:59 p.m.
           Re: Now that we have the Swahili translations...Mainevent 2/4/05 3:20 p.m.
           DOH!Louis Wu 2/4/05 4:19 p.m.
                 Marty to become a pinata? *NM*Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 2/4/05 4:53 p.m.
                       This whole bit about marty and sticks... *OT*zugy 2/4/05 10:16 p.m.
     Re: Now that we have the Swahili translations...Raigns 2/5/05 10:22 a.m.
     Some additional translations from Rehemareplay 2/5/05 4:02 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.