Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Rebuttal
Posted By: LietLivesDate: 2/11/04 5:58 p.m.

In Response To: Rebuttal (Shishka)

: They don't just "attack from space," you know. Invasion requires
: specialized vehicles. This would include water.

Well, since most people don't live on water, but on solid ground, boats and such wouldn't be the first thing I would think to bring with me when attacking another planet. But like I said, when you think about it, it does make sense, you just have to understand why.

: *rolls up his sleeves*

: ...

: *rolls them back down because he's only wearting a short-sleeve T*

Funny, I never figured you for the kind of guy who wears close while he's on the computer.

: Owned by Bungie:

: That's the concept art for the Shadow, which should be appearing in Halo 2.
: Note the seating arrangement. ;)

Where did I read that the Shadow was going to have a pilot, a gunner, and be able to hold two passengers? I can't recall, but I'm sure I did somewhere. As to the seating, is there some kind of windshield on that thing, do you think, or does it use an energy shield of some kind. 'Cause personally, I wouldn't be too keen on driving right into battle with nothing between me and all those bullets but a sleek look. I think that's one of the cool things about Covie vehicles, that the pilot is protected, and views things from a monitor. Even the Shade seems to have a small one, although it isn't large. It seems like part of the Covenant style to me, and I like the idea of one pilot better, personally.

: Ever climbed into a boat from a dock before? That's exactly what it is-
: climbing. Besides, We're talking about 8 foot tall bunches of muscle and
: anger, here. An elite would have NO trouble getting into this boat.

Probably not, and like I said, it probably looks worse than it would be. I just said something because the vehicles in Halo are rather easy to get into, by the looks of them. But you're right, boats aren't the same. Maybe a ladder built into the back of the boat would work?

: Even a hovercraft touches the water from time to time. You were wrong about
: your idea in the first paragraph that hovering over water would take less
: energy than over land. Over land, when you push against the earth, it
: resists, and pushes back at you. Over water, you actually scatter water
: away from you because it is not strong enough to resist the force of your
: push. In order to compensate, current hover technology uses a rubber lip
: to both decrease the surface area to which the air is being pushed
: increase the focus of the air. Essentially, it requires more power to keep
: yourself afloat.

This one is your fault Shish, not mine. While you are right about modern, real hovercraft, I meant Covie hovercraft, which seem to me to use a field of some kind to repel themselves away from other matter. If a Covie ground vehicle went over water that was too deep, I am sure it would sink quickly. But real boats are able to be much heavier than any land vehicle because of the boyancy and lubricant properties of liquid water. Now add to a normal boat a hovering system that uses some kind of repulsion field, and less of the mass of the boat is exerted upon the water that bouies(sp?) the boat, assuming you have placed the hoverfield generators over water that isn't too near the submerged portions of the hull. If you direct that field to push the boat forward or backward, like a Ghost, or use a seperate system like the Banshee has, I would think you could move a Covie boat more quickly than a human one of equal mass, and possible even with less expenditure of energy.

: However, I can't argue against hover as a proper design for a covenant craft,
: as there's no craft in the Covenant armada that doesn't.

Good, as long as you know you can't beat me in an arguement.

: See: Shadow. =)

Yeah, I see it, already! You have a point, but then so do I. I still think it seems more like the Covie vehicles to have the pilot protected from the front, and be alone in the cockpit, but that's me. And anyway, if you're piloting your assault boat towards the enemy so that your gunner can shoot them, do you really want to be sniped in the head and killed in one shot. Even the 'Hog protects the driver from the front. Plus as the pilot you're going to take damage when the vehicle gets hit anyway, since this is Halo and not Halo 2.

: The ghost doesn't really cover a person a lot, either. From the front they're
: fine, but from the sides, they're wide open.

Bad writing, we both know the Ghost doesn't have any side protection. What I meant is that the cockpit should be like a pit in some ways, you walk into or at least sit down in it from behind and the front of the cockpit and its sides protect you from direct damage, but from behind and above you are vulnerable. My point was that most Covie vehicles we've actually seen in action provide excellent protection to the pilot. The Ghost doesn't because it is a reconnaissance vehicle, it wasn't designed to be used in as a main battle vehicle.

: 3 works. Again, with the Shadow. Further, it's an answer to the Warthog,
: which seats 3. The passenger can simply shoot their own weapon.

Actually, I was specifically trying to avoid direct Warthog parity. Plus, we all know how hard it is for an actual person to shoot out the passenger seat with any acurracy. If you want three, then that's fine. I just figured that with an actual cockpit, there might not be a place to put a forward-facing person without risking being shot by the mounted gun. But if you can find a way to do it and you want to, go ahead.

: I've never ridden a catamaran with a low profile, and I've used them to go
: island hopping of the coast of southeast Alaska. ;) The idea behind a
: catamaran is a combination of speed and stability. However, they're not
: the most maneuverable ships and would be a poor choice for war.

As you can tell, I'm no boating expert. Now obviously a catamaran isn't the Monitor or Merrimack, but the idea is that the deck (that's the word I want, right?) has a large surface area for the amount of boat below the water, especially in comparison to a normal boat. Aside from the sail, do they have particularly high profiles, or do they just lack low profiles?

You know those racing boats that have a hull that touches the water in only two places, the one that they love to show flipping into the air and disintegrating on impact? Would a longer, thinner look like that resolve some of those maneuverability issues, do you think? Also, a Covie boat would have suspensors to aid in turning and balancing weight, and might be able to compensate for certain weaknesses inherent in real designs.

Even if it wouldn't work for a fast attack craft, a modified catamaran design might be appropriate for large troop transports, for which maneuverability isn't as important as for a combat vessel.

: Guh, no. ;)

The idea here was that, instead of a solid, flat deck, the two hulls (did I say that right?) would be seperated from the crew area by supports that are at an angle or curved. How sharp the angle is and how large the supports are would be variable.

: You should talk less and design more. MAKE IT! =) I'm curious to see if you
: could make a feasible ship from this.

Let me save you the suspense and assure you I couldn't. Aside from the lack of a proper computer program or the capacity to use one well, I have a basic lack of artistic talent of any kind. My chief aesthetic and creative ability seems to be criticism, as I have already displayed. I can tell you what looks good and what needs work, but actually doing it myself is beyond my capabilities. But I encourage you to pirate my ideas. It is your field of expertise, isn't it? Pirating, I mean.

: bentllama's all about influencing thought.

: Er, I'm sorry, what I meant to say was bentllama's always under the
: influence.

Pancakes: Canadian crack.

Message Index

Replies:

Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Wraith 2/4/04 5:53 p.m.
     Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Walshicus 2/4/04 6:00 p.m.
           Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*spleen muncher 2/5/04 9:08 p.m.
     Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*makaveli the don 2/4/04 6:10 p.m.
           Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Poppy 2/5/04 8:58 p.m.
     Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Shishka 2/4/04 6:24 p.m.
           Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*KOPD 2/4/04 6:37 p.m.
           Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Wraith 2/4/04 8:44 p.m.
                 Sorry for the delay.Shishka 2/6/04 3:32 a.m.
                       Agreement...LordHex 2/7/04 4:48 a.m.
     Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Madda Cheeb 2/4/04 6:24 p.m.
           Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Lt Devon 2/4/04 7:31 p.m.
           Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Lone_Sniper_SG 2/4/04 10:07 p.m.
     Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*FOrunnER 2/4/04 7:52 p.m.
           Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Frensa Geran 2/4/04 8:13 p.m.
           Sure they can...Wraith 2/4/04 8:37 p.m.
     Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*mrsmiley 2/4/04 8:06 p.m.
     Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*bentllama 2/4/04 8:13 p.m.
           holy crapBenRoth 2/4/04 8:35 p.m.
           Wow!Wraith 2/4/04 8:36 p.m.
                 Re: Wow!Lt Devon 2/4/04 8:40 p.m.
           Who are you and what have you done with bentllama?Hikaru-119 2/4/04 9:03 p.m.
                 Re: Who are you and what have you done with bentllbentllama 2/5/04 10:48 a.m.
                       Re: Who are you and what have you done with bentllKOPD 2/5/04 12:15 p.m.
                             Put this ingameDigikid 2/8/04 9:10 a.m.
                                   Re: Put this ingameSanchezTheLlama 2/8/04 11:54 a.m.
                                         Re: Put this ingameWraith 2/8/04 2:44 p.m.
                       Re: Who are you and what have you done with bentllmrsmiley 2/5/04 1:33 p.m.
                       Re: Who are you and what have you done with bentllWalshicus 2/5/04 1:48 p.m.
                       Re: Who are you and what have you done with bentllLt Devon 2/5/04 1:59 p.m.
                       I absolutly KNEW you would say that :-D *NM*Blown-Upp 2/5/04 7:59 p.m.
           Congrats Wraith!mikeman445 2/4/04 9:07 p.m.
     Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Alx 2/4/04 10:08 p.m.
     Erm.. you linked to the wrong page, Louis, lol *NM*Wraith 2/5/04 1:31 p.m.
           Oops... fixed. *NM*Louis Wu 2/5/04 2:45 p.m.
     Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Elfster 2/5/04 1:45 p.m.
     Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*BLOOD 2/5/04 3:14 p.m.
           Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Wraith 2/5/04 5:16 p.m.
     Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*PH-Hipboyscott 2/5/04 3:20 p.m.
     Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Infininja 2/5/04 3:58 p.m.
           Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Wraith 2/5/04 5:14 p.m.
                 Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Infininja 2/7/04 9:15 p.m.
                       Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Infininja 2/7/04 9:23 p.m.
                 Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Poppy 2/7/04 9:17 p.m.
                       Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Infininja 2/7/04 9:24 p.m.
                             Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Poppy 2/7/04 9:27 p.m.
     Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*58 2/5/04 4:28 p.m.
     Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Dark_Viper205 2/5/04 4:45 p.m.
     Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Dark REd At Skool 2/5/04 5:36 p.m.
           Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Wraith 2/5/04 5:46 p.m.
                 Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*Broe 2/5/04 7:50 p.m.
                       working on it :) *NM*PH-Hipboyscott 2/7/04 8:25 a.m.
     What program did you use to make these? *NM* *NM*tux_max 2/5/04 7:19 p.m.
           A combination of Wings 3D and 3DS MaxWraith 2/5/04 7:36 p.m.
                 Re: A combination of Wings 3D and 3DS Maxbentllama 2/6/04 10:18 a.m.
                       Re: A combination of Wings 3D and 3DS MaxSep7imus [subnova] 2/6/04 11:08 a.m.
     Re: Covenant Assault Boat concept model *IMGS*tali 2/5/04 11:40 p.m.
     problemcards077 2/6/04 11:45 a.m.
           Re: problemWraith 2/6/04 12:03 p.m.
     Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*Wraith 2/6/04 7:42 p.m.
           Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*GruntyThrst 2/6/04 7:46 p.m.
                 Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*HaloNater 2/6/04 7:50 p.m.
                 Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*Hawk7886 2/6/04 8:00 p.m.
           Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*P_40E 2/6/04 7:56 p.m.
                 Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*Banshee Barron 2/6/04 8:14 p.m.
                 Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*Wraith 2/6/04 8:15 p.m.
           Re: Nipples?????Shaolin_Souljah 2/6/04 8:17 p.m.
                 Re: Nipples?????Banshee Barron 2/6/04 8:25 p.m.
                 RoflWraith 2/6/04 8:26 p.m.
                       Glowing Nipples!!!! *NM*Lt Devon 2/11/04 5:25 p.m.
           Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*FOrunnER 2/6/04 8:29 p.m.
           Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*LordHex 2/6/04 8:35 p.m.
                 Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*MarkHawk 2/6/04 8:57 p.m.
                       Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*LordHex 2/7/04 4:40 a.m.
                 Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*Epitameofjudgement aka DJ aka (TRC)Raptor 2/6/04 9:36 p.m.
                       Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*LordHex 2/7/04 5:02 a.m.
                 Do me a favour.MereCatfish 2/7/04 3:24 a.m.
                       Re: Do me a favour.LordHex 2/7/04 5:04 a.m.
                             Everyone stopWraith 2/7/04 9:55 a.m.
                                   Re: Everyone stopLordHex 2/7/04 12:20 p.m.
                                         Re: Everyone stopWraith 2/7/04 1:56 p.m.
           Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*SniperMan27 2/6/04 9:09 p.m.
                 Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*halofan141 2/6/04 9:33 p.m.
           Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*Frensa Geran 2/6/04 10:01 p.m.
                 Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*Wraith 2/6/04 10:05 p.m.
                       Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*Lone_Sniper_SG 2/6/04 11:40 p.m.
                             Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*Wraith 2/6/04 11:55 p.m.
           Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*Jamirus99 2/7/04 9:53 a.m.
           Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*Novakog 2/7/04 11:49 a.m.
                 Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*LordHex 2/7/04 12:25 p.m.
           Nice Job!gd 2/7/04 12:19 p.m.
           Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*bentllama 2/7/04 5:21 p.m.
                 Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*Wraith 2/7/04 5:41 p.m.
                       Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*bentllama 2/7/04 5:45 p.m.
                 Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*oDiN 2/7/04 7:55 p.m.
                       Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*XLNC 2/8/04 1:02 a.m.
                 Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*Shishka 2/7/04 8:39 p.m.
                       Just listening in - Thank you - Fastinating stuff! *NM*3Suns 2/8/04 6:34 a.m.
                 I like the file name for the image ;-) *NM*Blown Upp 2/7/04 10:41 p.m.
                 Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*john 2/8/04 3:56 p.m.
                       Re: Covenant Assault Boat Update *IMGS*diabfann 2/9/04 11:50 a.m.
           Bentllama, I stole your idea!LietLives 2/11/04 2:45 p.m.
                 RebuttalShishka 2/11/04 3:36 p.m.
                       Re: RebuttalLietLives 2/11/04 5:58 p.m.
     I though of a name for it if you're interestedScimitarex 2/8/04 2:02 p.m.
           Re: I though of a name for it if you're interesteddiabfann 2/8/04 2:41 p.m.
                 Re: I though of a name for it if you're interesteddiabfann 2/8/04 2:45 p.m.
                       Re: I though of a name for it if you're interestedBoris 2/8/04 2:52 p.m.
           I like it.Wraith 2/8/04 2:51 p.m.
                 Re: I like it.343winks 2/8/04 5:12 p.m.
                 Thanks =D *NM*Scimitarex 2/8/04 7:43 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.