Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: MWAHAHAHA - Island4 persp quote
Posted By: Ben Schodek <schodek@mediaone.net>Date: 10/26/99 2:39 p.m.

In Response To: MWAHAHAHA - Island4 persp quote (Lodurr)

> "I think Bungie has probably made no permanent plans on
> whether to offer such a perspective - not that I would know, but
> judging from their general silence, it's my best guess. It's how
> they usually are when they're still deciding something - which
> is almost all the time it seems. ;-) Throwing in 1st-person is
> pretty easy (I think) programming-wise, so I'm sure they want to
> wait and see how the game plays out in 3rd-person before making
> a final decision."
> -Island Four, posted on July 4th

> So there, 3rd person AND 1st person perspective ... no reason
> they shouldn't let you play in 1st person if you wanna. If
> anything this quote should be given to dissuade posters about
> perspective. Now this could've been contradicted later, but ...
> let me just live in this dream world a little longer. Please ...
> oh please...

> -Rapid eye-movement Lodurr

I don't mean to open an old wound here but...

There is a reason for not allowing both perspectives. It is better to design a game with one perspective in mind, so it can take full advantage of what that perspective has to offer.

Half life would make an awfull 3rd person game, because your in allot of tight coridors, airducts, and mainly indoor environments where you don't need the better periferal vision that 3rd person might have to offer. Halflife as a third person game would just not work.

On the other hand, lets look at oni. Would a dual system work for oni? I highly doubt it. In oni, you can do all sorts of stuff that you just cannot do in first person, like doing all sorts of cool jumps, being able to do flying kicks, ect... Oni was designed to be a 3rd person game, and just wouldn't work in first person mode.

What has happened in one to many games is this; They create an action game. A first person action game. Then, once the game is near completion, they say "hmm, maybe we should tack on 3rd person mode as well..." And then, you end up with exactly that. An afterthought perspective that doesn't fit in with the gamplay of the game.

This is exactly my concern. IMO, I think that bungie should go for iether: One, the other, or an integrated combination of both, But they SHOULD NOT give you the option of iether/or.

It all depends on what they wish to accomplish in halo. if they find it to be of some sort of importance for you to be doing back flips while your guns are blazing like in oni, or they have other things in mind, like maybe a necesity for better periferal vision, or driving, then I think they should iether do the game all in 3rd person, or an integration of both third and first person (ex. 3rd p. view, with a fps scope or something...). Or, if they wish to accomplish other things, like if your gonna be crawling arround allot of dark tunnels and airducts, I think they should go for 1st person. I do not think however that they should give you the option to use iether. Because when this happens, stuff is sacrificed. None of the perspectives can be used to their fulles capacities, or, One may be perfect for the game, and the other may not work at all.

If bungie designes one perspective for the game, they can utilize everything that perspective has to offer, and cator the game to do that. When you have both, this is not possible.

I'm not saying that one perspective is better or worse, I'm just saying that they should choose the ONE that works best. If 3rd person just doesnt work out for halo, then I think they should scrap it and choose first. If 3rd person works out perfectly for halo, then I think they should stick with it, and not tack on another perspective.

Message Index

Replies:

MWAHAHAHA - Island4 persp quoteLodurr 10/26/99 1:15 a.m.
     Re: MWAHAHAHA - Island4 persp quoteNathan 10/26/99 1:18 a.m.
           Re: MWAHAHAHA - Island4 persp quoteFrost 10/26/99 1:32 a.m.
     Re: MWAHAHAHA - Island4 persp quoteDirkDaring 10/26/99 6:03 a.m.
     Re: MWAHAHAHA - Island4 persp quoteMark Levin 10/26/99 8:47 a.m.
     Re: MWAHAHAHA - Island4 persp quoteBen Schodek 10/26/99 2:39 p.m.
           Re: MWAHAHAHA - Island4 persp quoteLodurr 10/26/99 6:51 p.m.
     Thanks goes to TsaoLodurr 10/27/99 1:06 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.