Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: sword? hmm the BAT
Posted By: Otokam <ueno@its.caltech.edu>Date: 1/6/00 10:46 p.m.

In Response To: Re: sword? hmm the BAT (Uncle Buck)

First off, I know I've seen a different screenshot of the BAT before, but I can't find it. Does anyone have a URL?

> Ok well in one respect I did have the thought that such a large
> weapon will be used much like the German Elephant tank of WWII.
> A large treaded artillary piece that is used for shelling from
> long distances. I have to disagree with you on the point of this
> being FLAK/AAA/SAM platform as the gun is just too damn large
> for such purposes for one, secondly the general purpose for
> mounting a machine gun on a turret is for gunning down infantry
> not enemy aircraft. Surface to air missiles do a much more
> efficent job of that. You may have also noticed the pod with
> several holes to the left of the tank's main gun. On today's
> tanks such weapons exist and they are grenade launchers,
> propelled much like the type you see mounted on today's humvees.
> The purpose once again is anti-infantry. I can only speculate
> that this is in fact what the pod is...but it's simialaritys to
> existing weapons systems looks to coincedental.

Hmm... I assumed that the pod was a missile launcher (hence the SAM)... but then again, the first time I saw the shoulder-mount contraption, I thought *that*, too was a rocket launcher.

It's kind of interesting to note, though, that the Elephant tank and the railway-mounted guns (which the Bat reminded me of, at first) turned out to be military disasters. Remember the German 'Paris Gun'? No matter how you look at it, there really is no reason to have a land vehicle that huge (conventionally thinking, of course). It does look very cool, however.

About the machine gun, note that on a conventional tank, only the main gun elevates up and down, not the entire turret. This way, a tank could shoot a distant tank, while firing the turret-mounted machine gun at a much closer enemy. On the BAT, the entire turret elevates, machine gun and all. Not too effective for gunning down infantry at the angle it's pointing in the screenshot. But now that I've thought about it, its use as a AAA gun isn't very sound, either, considering that the turret will have to be able to traverse pretty fast in order to track low-flying aid units. The word 'agility' doesn't exactly come to mind when I think about the BAT.

And finally, although SAMs are a more efficient way of swatting enemy aircraft out of the air, they are a lot more expensive than your standard gun. The human army is stranded on the halo, so I would imagine that ammunition is hard to come by. Even if it is possible for humans to make their own munitions, it would be a lot more cost-effective to make simple, armor-piercing bullets for an anti-aircraft machine gun than to manufacture sophisticated chips for use in guided missiles. Anyone who's read the "WorldWar" series by Harry Turtledove will recognize the above scenario. Considering these circumstances, it might make more sense for humans to use FLAK and AAA cannon over SAMs.

Message Index

Replies:

New HALO screenshotCorum Jhaelen Irsei 1/6/00 7:58 p.m.
     sword?Corum Jhaelen Irsei 1/6/00 8:01 p.m.
           Re: sword?Mark Levin 1/6/00 8:24 p.m.
                 Re: sword?Otokam 1/6/00 8:28 p.m.
                       You're right....Corum Jhaelen Irsei 1/6/00 8:33 p.m.
                 Re: sword? hmm the BATUncle Buck 1/6/00 9:26 p.m.
                       Re: sword? hmm the BATOtokam 1/6/00 9:57 p.m.
                             Re: sword? hmm the BATUncle Buck 1/6/00 10:10 p.m.
                                   Pod on left side of turret...Corum Jhaelen Irsei 1/6/00 10:19 p.m.
                                         Re: Pod on left side of turret...Uncle Buck 1/6/00 10:25 p.m.
                                         B.O.C.Timmy 1/6/00 10:41 p.m.
                                               BOC = ...Corum Jhaelen Irsei 1/6/00 11:00 p.m.
                                   Re: sword? hmm the BATOtokam 1/6/00 10:46 p.m.
                                         Re: sword? hmm the BATUncle Buck 1/6/00 11:22 p.m.
                                               Re: sword? hmm the BATOtokam 1/7/00 3:32 a.m.
                                                     Re: sword? hmm the BATChris Huff 1/7/00 6:02 a.m.
                                                           Re: sword? hmm the BATForensic 1/7/00 7:02 a.m.
                                                                 Re: sword? hmm the BATChris Huff 1/7/00 9:41 a.m.
                                                                 Re: sword? hmm the BATMark Levin 1/7/00 11:49 a.m.
                                                                       Re: sword? hmm the BATSiliconDream=PN= 1/7/00 2:40 p.m.
                                                                             Re: sword? hmm the BATDan Rudolph 1/7/00 2:52 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: sword? hmm the BATSiliconDream=PN= 1/7/00 8:12 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: space combatMark Levin 1/8/00 12:49 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: space combatSiliconDream=PN= 1/8/00 3:22 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: space combatDan Rudolph 1/8/00 3:36 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: space combatMage 1/8/00 5:07 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: space combatDaft Shadow =PN= 1/8/00 6:44 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: space combatMark Levin 1/8/00 9:23 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: space combatSiliconDream=PN= 1/8/00 11:04 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: space combatDaft Shadow =PN= 1/9/00 12:00 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: space combatSiliconDream=PN= 1/9/00 12:24 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: space combatMark Levin 1/9/00 12:49 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: space combatSiliconDream=PN= 1/9/00 3:55 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: space combatMacGuyver 1/10/00 11:17 a.m.
                                                                 Re: sword? hmm the BATLisan 1/7/00 1:31 p.m.
                                                                       The OTHER edge of the Galaxy.Dispatcher 1/7/00 8:27 p.m.
                                                                             Ooops! Sph't Homeworld eh? (NT)Dispatcher 1/7/00 8:29 p.m.
                             very different idea.. I like it NTMage 1/6/00 10:10 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.