/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Possibly Crazy Addition to Volunteers Idea
Posted By: DarksbaneDate: 11/30/01 3:11 p.m.

I've played through all of M1 and M2, and half of Infinity (I got stuck on Post Naval Trauma on Major Damage and couldn't bring myself to lower the difficulty), and I've watched vid-master films of nearly every level in existence, but there's something I've never seen.

Are there any films somplace of someone beating the game the way a NORMAL person would do it?

;-)

The fist-fights are truly beautiful to behold, but I've often wondered what it would be like to watch the extreme chaos unleashed when a vidmaster utilizes the full marathon arsenal. Someone mentioned (jokingly) the idea of starting a normal difficulty network game of marathon 2 and playing through the whole thing in one game. Has anyone considered actually doing this? It would be an interesting accompaniment to the whole Volunteers idea; you could watch the game unfold as it would for a normal player.

It also might help people learn some new tricks, or help my n00b cousins catch on the game more quickly ;-) I learned SO much about fist-fighting from vid films, but all of my weapon skills are self-taught.

Is anyone even remotely interested in this sort of thing? I forget exactly how well/poorly Marathon 2 and Infinity mix saved game files with films, so I don't know if doing things one level at a time would be possible or not. It still sounds as if it might be a fun lan-party diversion. If I could get my stupid PeeCee friends to try marathon, I'd do it myself ;-)

Just throwing out the idea. I just know that in some of the vidmaster films, the feeling of suspense and terror found in actually playing the game is lost, (although I know actually MAKING a vidmaster film feels much different; heh, *I* freak out just trying to vid "Bigger Guns Nearby.") and I wonder if seeing the game through the eyes of a player using a more standard style would restore it.

Darks

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Possibly Crazy Addition to Volunteers IdeaDarksbane 11/30/01 3:11 p.m.
     Re: Possibly Crazy Addition to Volunteers Ideaarchon 11/30/01 7:12 p.m.
           Re: Possibly Crazy Addition to Volunteers IdeaSNoblitt 12/1/01 6:02 a.m.
     Re: Possibly Crazy Addition to Volunteers IdeaBen Potter 12/1/01 3:04 p.m.
           Re: Possibly Crazy Addition to Volunteers IdeaDarksbane 12/2/01 3:19 p.m.
                 Re: Possibly Crazy Addition to Volunteers IdeaSteve Levinson 12/2/01 4:27 p.m.
                 Re: Possibly Crazy Addition to Volunteers IdeaMazilurik 12/2/01 4:37 p.m.
                       Re: Possibly Crazy Addition to Volunteers IdeaDarksbane 12/3/01 5:38 p.m.
                             Re: Possibly Crazy Addition to Volunteers IdeaSteve Levinson 12/3/01 6:58 p.m.
     Re: Possibly Crazy Addition to Volunteers IdeaSidoh 12/3/01 9:58 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.