/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Did anyone see the pfhor as evil?
Posted By: Andrew NagyDate: 6/26/01 11:11 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Did anyone see the pfhor as evil? (Tynskel)

: Personally, no the pfhor are not evil! They are just another race on their bid for power.

What makes them act differently from the humans, then? As far as we know, they just left the surviving Pfhor alone after sacking their homeworld. They didn't enslave them, or the Drinnol captives they took in M1. And we have no evidence to suggest that they afterwards went on a rampage conquering the Nebulons, Nar, and other alien cultures.

: Nobody is evil, there is no evil. Evil is an idea
: created by humans to justify human actions. If I say "that is
: evil" then preceed to destroy it, I am justified! So in that sense,
: the pfhor are "evil". Otherwise, there is no such thing!!!

Hey, I can play cynical too: "There is no evil" is an idea created by humans to justify evil human actions. That makes a lot more sense too, since you don't have to account for all the evil that the people you're talking to may have heard of. Anyway, if the guidelines on what is evil and what is good were set for that purpose, why didn't we make them say that dodos or rainforests were evil, for example? Or anything weaker than yourself?

Another hole that theory leaves is why humans were destroying things in the first place, if that came before Evil.

Even if Evil didn't exist, the Pfhor don't exist either. Their real-world aspects aren't evil at all, because it's good for vidbois to have more pixels to shoot, besides Angry Bobs, Ticks and F'lickta.

Eliminating the idea of Evil from everyone's mind would result in near anarchy. You wouldn't be able to trust anybody, since anyone who could get away with breaking local laws wouldn't think twice about doing it. Now that Marathon is available on PCs, you probably wouldn't be able to get people to quit using them, without being able to convince them that Microsoft monopolization is evil.

Aside from all that, Evil is a scenario that I was playing just this morning, and which I can describe in vivid detail, even though I have hardly any mapmaking talent myself. And I wasn't trying to destroy it, so how do you explain why it's called Evil then?

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Did anyone see the pfhor as evil?Some guy 6/19/01 2:44 p.m.
     Re: Did anyone see the pfhor as evil?Soapstone 6/19/01 3:37 p.m.
           Re: Did anyone see the pfhor as evil?[Tycho?] 6/19/01 4:11 p.m.
                 Errr...Grasshopper 6/19/01 7:34 p.m.
                       Re: Errr...Razel 6/19/01 10:35 p.m.
                             Re: Errr...Andrew Nagy 6/20/01 3:40 a.m.
                             Re: Errr...Grasshopper 6/20/01 5:21 a.m.
                                   Evil? Depends...William Spencer 6/20/01 6:55 a.m.
                                         Re: Evil? Depends...Andrew Nagy 6/20/01 5:32 p.m.
                                   On the other hand...William Spencer 6/20/01 7:02 a.m.
                                         Re: On the other hand...Aben Zin 6/27/01 2:13 p.m.
                                               Re: On the other hand...Locucious 6/27/01 4:32 p.m.
                                   Re: Errr...[Tycho?] 6/21/01 10:45 a.m.
                                         Re: Errr...Forrest of B.org 6/24/01 9:33 a.m.
                                               Re: Errr...Alexander S7range 6/25/01 7:22 a.m.
                                                     Re: Errr...Andrew Nagy 6/26/01 11:17 a.m.
                 Re: Did anyone see the pfhor as evil?Tynskel 6/25/01 1:29 a.m.
                       Re: Did anyone see the pfhor as evil?Locucious 6/25/01 6:35 a.m.
                             Re: Did anyone see the pfhor as evil?Jonah 6/25/01 8:06 a.m.
                       Re: Did anyone see the pfhor as evil?[Tycho?] 6/25/01 11:15 a.m.
                             Re: Did anyone see the pfhor as evil?Andrew Nagy 6/26/01 10:15 a.m.
                                   Re: Did anyone see the pfhor as evil?Joe Mahma 6/26/01 10:27 a.m.
                                         Re: Did anyone see the pfhor as evil?Andrew Nagy 6/26/01 11:19 a.m.
                                               Re: Did anyone see the pfhor as evil?Joe Mahma 6/26/01 12:18 p.m.
                                                     Re: Did anyone see the pfhor as evil?Andrew Nagy 6/27/01 6:43 a.m.
                                                           Re: Did anyone see the pfhor as evil?7revor Smith 6/27/01 7:34 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Did anyone see the pfhor as evil?Andrew Nagy 6/29/01 11:08 a.m.
                       Re: Did anyone see the pfhor as evil?Andrew Nagy 6/26/01 11:11 a.m.
                             Re: Did anyone see the pfhor as evil?Andrew Nagy 6/26/01 11:26 a.m.
                             Re: Did anyone see the pfhor as evil?[Tycho?] 6/26/01 4:00 p.m.
     Re: Did anyone see the pfhor as evil?Rincewind MoG 6/20/01 10:38 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.