/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Marathon Speedrunning question *LINK*
Posted By: Aaron FreedDate: 5/2/20 11:40 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Marathon Speedrunning question (Godot)

: Good to know that folks still play on Total Carnage. I was wondering if this
: was a generational thing. ;)

: Cheers
: Hamish

I still play TC all the time. My channel has some of my films (link below). Though I’ve got by far the most films for the games I’m actually a developer of, for presumably obvious reasons, I do have about forty vid films of M2 and Infinity as well, of varying quality. If you go to “playlists”, you’ll find my most recent films of each level. (I’ve vidded several levels multiple times; I’ve completed twelve levels of M2 and … yes, seven of Infinity. Though “Confound Delivery” could be counted as an honorary eighth, as it’s a fists-only film, and I didn’t carry enough health over to where I’d have died before I reached a recharger if I’d started with 1x shields. I’m really bad at M1, so I haven’t posted any of my films of that yet.)

I’m still working out some emulator issues for playing back the original M1 films, but the older VidmasterChallenge channel, which is linked in my sidebar, has some of them – not all of them. (Aleph One is unable to replay the original M1 vid films, because it’s not actually running in the M1 engine; it’s an attempt to replicate M1 using a modified M2 engine, but it isn’t an identical recreation of the original engine, and thus it can’t replay M1 films.)

As for speedruns, folks run the games on both Kindergarten and TC because the strategies for the two difficulties are so vastly different. Kindergarten is obviously pathetically easy in casual play, but the strategies for a speedrun are quite difficult, since they’re designed to take the game to its limit. Very little of what you would see in a normal game is left in a Kindergarten speedrun, due to all the grenade skips and other exploits.

Meanwhile, other difficulties besides K and TC usually aren’t run, since there aren’t enough differences from K and TC to make the runs worth it. There are occasional exceptions (I think tbcr did submit a Normal “all main levels” run of Infinity for the latest GDQ, because K didn’t seem exciting enough, but TC might not be “marathon-safe” given how unpredictable it is – no one wants to watch a dozen straight unsuccessful attempts at Acme), but overall, most speedruns are either K or TC.

Trilogy% would be an awesome category, but thus far, I don’t think anyone’s actually run it yet.

As far as speedruns on YouTube go, a lot of the individual runners have channels where they post some of their runs. aperturegrillz and tbcr are by far the most prolific runners of the trilogy and hold most of the records for both full game runs and individual levels, and their channels are also found on my sidebar; a few other people such as ares540 and PfhorShark have run some of the fan games. (Unfortunately, I can’t actually display more than ten channels on my sidebar, but if you go to “channels” and keep clicking right on “featured channels”, you’ll find ares540 and PfhorShark’s channels. …also, I’m certain I’ve forgotten a few runners, and I apologise for doing so.)

There’s also a channel devoted to Marathon speedruns entitled simply “marathonruns” (also found in my sidebar), but I need to add more content to it. (Part of the hold-up is that I’m waiting to see if a potential 60 fps update to the engine gets completed this month; if it does, then I’d end up wanting to re-encode everything, and I’d rather not have to upload re-encodes shortly after the original videos if at all possible.)

Most of the individual level runs these days (that aren’t mine) seem to be speedruns; sometimes this means they may forego rules such as punching switches, since it’s sometimes faster not to, and completing levels as fast as possible is obviously the primary (sometimes only) goal in a speedrun.

However, Hamish will probably be interested to know that aperturegrillz vidded Acme last year; as far as I know, this makes him the twelfth person verified to have vidded it. The number of known films is now up to twenty-six: aperture has vidded it twice and Dr John Sumner has also vidded it twice.

(Dr Sumner has in fact completed vid films of all of M2 and all but two levels of Infinity using only fists; the two exceptions are “Whatever You Please” and “Electric Sheep Three”, both of which require the player to fire a weapon to activate a switch. He has also completed all of M2 without recharging except for the two levels that require lava/goo baths – “Begging for Mercy Makes Me Angry” and “All Roads Lead to Sol” – as well as all of Infinity except for “Hang Brain” and “Try Again”, which I believe goes to demonstrate that even gods must have limitations. His second “Acme” film is both fists only and no recharging – an impressive achievement, though of course Daniel Gentry’s fists only, no hits wonder remains the supreme accomplishment on that level.)

Anyway, I basically *only* play M2 and Infinity on TC these days. I don’t play M1 that much, but I mostly play that on TC as well – badly. As far as fan games, it depends how they’re balanced. Games like Pfh’Joueur, Eternal, and Tempus Irae are fun on TC. Some games like Rubicon and especially Red and Evil are too difficult for me to find them enjoyable on TC all the way through, though. I think I’m going to try a Phoenix playthrough on TC next, but I’m not sure I’ll attempt to vid every level of it – some of those levels look quite unforgiving.

(At least all of the levels in the original Rubicon have been vidded at least once; most of the films are on my channel, except a few that desynced. A lot of levels in Rubicon X have yet to be vidded, however. Note that quite a few levels have substantial differences between Rubicon and Rubicon X; a few can hardly be considered to count as the same level.)

Marathon Vidmaster Challenge on YouTube

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon Speedrunning questionRE7 4/29/20 5:31 p.m.
     Re: Marathon Speedrunning questionGodot 4/30/20 4:36 a.m.
           Re: Marathon Speedrunning questionRE7 4/30/20 1:03 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon Speedrunning questionGodot 5/1/20 2:38 a.m.
                       Re: Marathon Speedrunning questionLion O Cyborg 5/1/20 1:30 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon Speedrunning question *LINK*Aaron Freed 5/2/20 11:40 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon Speedrunning questiontbcr 5/23/20 5:00 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon Speedrunning questionaperturegrillz 5/2/20 5:11 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon Speedrunning questionRE7 5/19/20 4:56 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon Speedrunning questiontbcr 5/23/20 4:39 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.