/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Eternal X Commentary: "The Tangent Universe"
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 5/9/08 9:15 p.m.

In Response To: Eternal volunteers: "Roots" & "Tangent Universe" (pfhore)

Level 07: "The Tangent Universe"

(Created by Goran Svensson. The title of this level and all its other incarnations are my invention though, harkening to the fictional book "The Philosophy of Time Travel", from the movie "Donnie Darko", which was a bit of an inspiration for Eternal. In particular, "The Tangent Universe" is fitting as this is the first level in Eternal that shows you the ends of a "failed" timeline, which is precisely what Donnie Darko's "Tangent Universe" is.)

(Originally I wanted this and all other dream levels to be in true black and white as well as fisheye vision, to seem extra dreamy, but while I could change the FOV via MML, the black and white effect required a modified Infravision powerup that would either not last the entire level or last into the next level as well. All the better, because enough people complain that Eternal is "black and white" as it is, with how subtly I use colors in many places; and the brilliant red fireball of the sun just wouldn't be the same without color.)

You are in a room on a spacestation apparently in a very low solar orbit, as a giant red fireball looms outside the window. Your vision is distorted and dreamlike. Nearby is a terminal.

[L07-T1-Unfinished]

(This station is called Inti Station because of its proximity to the sun. Inti was the god of the sun in ancient Incan mythology.)

Around the level, various Bobs stand guard. Eventually you find another terminal.

[L07-T0-Unfinished]

You teleport back to Level 4: "Sakhmet Rising"

(This and all terminal text for "Jjarandal", as I've nicknamed the merged Durandal-Thoth entity from the end of Infinity, was written almost entirely by Matthew "Yossarian" Francis, and edited only slightly by me. I'm very fond of his writing style. It's not supposed to be explicit that this is Durandal; players just need to recognize his "voice", so to speak. I think Yoss did an awesome job of capturing the feel of Bungie's original character well enough for that to work.)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal volunteers: "Roots" & "Tangent Universe"pfhore 5/7/08 1:09 a.m.
     Re: Eternal volunteers: "Roots" & "Tangent UniversForrest of B.org 5/7/08 10:57 p.m.
           Re: Eternal volunteers: "Roots" & "Tangent Universpfhore 5/8/08 12:53 a.m.
                 Re: Eternal volunteers: "Roots" & "Tangent UniversCyber Controller 5/8/08 12:15 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal volunteers: "Roots" & "Tangent UniversForrest of B.org 5/8/08 2:53 p.m.
     Eternal X Commentary: "Roots and Radicals"Forrest of B.org 5/9/08 9:12 p.m.
     Eternal X Commentary: "The Tangent Universe"Forrest of B.org 5/9/08 9:15 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.