/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Volunteers: Aie Mak Sicur
Posted By: ShadeDate: 11/16/01 3:33 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Volunteers: Aie Mak Sicur (TheMaz)

I was thinking about the name, "Aie Mak Sicur". On the level info section of the story page, it is suggested that

"A probable reason "Aie Mak Sicur" is spelt differently from "Aye Mak Sicur" is because it is the fake last level, accessible only through the dream level "Where are monsters in dreams". It is not spelt correctly, indicating falsity."

I was just rereading the seminal "A Sound of Thunder" by Ray Bradbury, and I think that "Aie Mak Sicur" is an allusion to this short story. The plot is that this guy goes back in time on a safari to kill dinosaurs. On the safari, the hunters only kill dinosaurs that were about to die anyway, so as not to alter the future. Unfortunately, the main character breaks one of the rules and steps off the hover-path, killing a bug. When the characters return to the future, everything seems the same ... until they notice the spelling of the safari sign.

TYME SEFARI INC.
SEFARIS TU ANY YEER EN THE PAST.
YU NAIM THE ANIMALL.
WEE TAEK YU THAIR.
YU SHOOT ITT.

Aye Mak Sicur ... Aie Mak Sicur.

As a side note, there was a great Simposons Halloween episode parodying "A Sound of Thunder" where Homer goes back in time and can't get back to his own future.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Volunteers: Aie Mak SicurMark Levin 11/14/01 12:19 p.m.
     Re: Volunteers: Aie Mak SicurRincewind MoG 11/14/01 4:10 p.m.
           Re: Volunteers: Aie Mak SicurDan Aris 11/14/01 4:56 p.m.
                 Re: Volunteers: Aie Mak SicurTheMaz 11/15/01 8:17 p.m.
                       Re: Volunteers: Aie Mak SicurShade 11/16/01 3:33 p.m.
     Re: Volunteers: Aie Mak SicurForrest of B.org 11/19/01 2:56 p.m.
           Re: Volunteers: Aie Mak SicurMark Levin 11/19/01 3:44 p.m.
                 Re: Volunteers: Aie Mak SicurWrock 11/19/01 10:58 p.m.
                       Re: Volunteers: Aie Mak SicurMark Levin 11/19/01 11:53 p.m.
                       Re: Volunteers: Aie Mak SicurGrasshopper 11/20/01 4:47 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.