/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

No Doom 2 remaster? Yeah, about that...
Posted By: Lion O CyborgDate: 11/4/23 7:55 a.m.

In Response To: Re: But Wait! That's Not All!. (VikingBoyBilly)

https://www.gog.com/en/game/doom_ii
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2300/DOOM_II/

DOOM II - Enhanced Version
Released in 2019 to celebrate DOOM’s 25th anniversary, this enhanced version makes it even easier for players to enjoy the original game on modern platforms. The re-release version includes:
Upgraded visuals
Improved mouse and keyboard controls
Gamepad/controller support
Widescreen resolution support
Native 60 FPS support
All twenty Master Levels
Local split-screen multiplayer co-op and PvP

It's on Switch too. Granted, this is by Nerve software (the guys who made the XBLA ports and their exclusive Doom 2 expansion episode No Rest for the Living) not Night Dive but the point still stands.

They could easily co-exist but honestly I'd say until a GZ Doom level of features/support/editors sourceport/remaster for Marathon on all platforms comes along, I want the remasters moreso for console than I do PC because Aleph One is the best way to play it and even Doom's remaster isn't as good as GZ Doom: it lacks all the optional bells & whistles GZ Doom adds such as jumping/crouching etc. (including the port's toggle that ties such to WAD type so scenarios that need it can use it but vanilla ones can't unless you set it to always on), support for Brutal Doom (Brutal Doom 64 & BDED included) and uncensored maps & items such as the Health Cross on medipacks (because fuck the red cross & their attempts to copyright a universal symbol) direct references to Wolfenstein albeit less extreme than the XBLA port before it and the nude statues on Back to Saturn X.

The only reason I have the remasters of Doom at all is so I can play them on Switch and I only got them on Steam too because of my Steam Deck for similar reasons (I don't know how easy it is or not to set up my GZ Doom setup on Deck unlike Marathon which I set up on Deck rather well)

I also only have them on GOG because they were automatically added to my library when they came out. I already have classic & GZ so I don't actually need them.

:Games like Dusk and Ion Fury and a bevy of other indie FPS show us that executing the best of both modern and classic game tech can be done. But like, Halo already feels like the natural successor to Marathon, in the way Marathon is a follow-up to PID. Do it wrong with a mediocre and haphazard execution, and you get something like 2011 Duke Nukem Forever.

That is true. I do still want actual sequels despite that though as Halo is more a successor in the way Perfect Dark is to Goldeneye or Freespace to Descent: they're similar enough in themes, tone and gameplay (minus the differences between Halo's gameplay & Marathon's) but they're otherwise their own thing and have no connection to their origins other than that, though Halo was originally going to be connected before that plan was scrapped.

Marathon however isn't just PID's successor but a sequel to it of sorts that's more or less become the new blanket series, like Puyo-Puyo is to this old RPG whose name I forget, or Ultima to Akalabeth: World of Doom.

The bit about it potentially ending up like DNF is certainly true as that does appear to be exactly what's happening with Marathon Survive. The downside is we don't have a DNF 2001 counterpart to give us hope.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Tis a sad day...Lion O Cyborg 11/1/23 11:14 a.m.
     Re: Tis a sad day...VikingBoyBilly 11/1/23 12:19 p.m.
           Re: Tis a sad day...Lion O Cyborg 11/1/23 12:29 p.m.
                 My friend who works at Bungie was sparedVikingBoyBilly 11/4/23 11:42 a.m.
                       Re: My friend who works at Bungie was sparedLion O Cyborg 11/4/23 11:47 a.m.
     But Wait! That's Not All!.Lion O Cyborg 11/1/23 1:22 p.m.
           Re: But Wait! That's Not All!.VikingBoyBilly 11/4/23 4:56 a.m.
                 No Doom 2 remaster? Yeah, about that...Lion O Cyborg 11/4/23 7:55 a.m.
           Lol the video is privateVikingBoyBilly 11/4/23 4:58 a.m.
                 Re: Lol the video is privateLion O Cyborg 11/4/23 7:56 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.