/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the Intro
Posted By: GodotDate: 12/11/20 12:07 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the Intro (Philtron)

: Also, if I remember correctly in M2, Thoth doesn't speak until he's fully
: activated. So why would he be fully coherent when only partially
: activated? Or is that just a change in Thoth's nature made by Double Aught
: (artistic license, so to speak)?

There is a Thoth message on M2's "We're Everywhere" long before he is activated. Some have suggested that it is a recorded message to try and explain its appearance at this early stage in the game. But I don't buy this as the intent of the message appears to be directed at you. Personally I believe it is a mistake linked to the messed up breakable panels at this location. Indeed there is evidence to suggest that the terminal was originally a breakable panel that got substituted out for a terminal. But instead of an innocuous S'pht history terminal we got a bizarre Thoth message. And no one spotted it during testing.

And this is the big problem we face with the Marathon series. There are many mistakes throughout all 3 games. Spelling errors, wrongly coloured terminal text, wrong images used, inconsistencies in narrative, etc etc. Some like the dates in M1 got fixed post release. Others have never been corrected and indeed are now impossible to correct since no one remembers what it should have been. Infinity suffers the most. I remember the Infinity beta testers documenting pages and pages of these. But in the rush to get the game out of the door many did not get fixed. The DA team were just not big enough to deal with all the last minute stuff. At least the released game did not crash.

When I read the Infinity terminals now I no longer look at the logon graphic, the colour of the text, the spelling of the names etc, but rather I try to understand the intent. If I can't understand this I simply park it and move on.

Cheers
Hamish

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroPhiltron 12/7/20 5:53 p.m.
     Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroGeneral-RADIX 12/7/20 6:12 p.m.
           Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroPhiltron 12/7/20 7:23 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the Intropfhore 12/7/20 8:05 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroGeneral-RADIX 12/7/20 9:51 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroDurandal_1707 12/8/20 3:07 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroGeneral-RADIX 12/8/20 8:49 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroGeneral-RADIX 12/7/20 9:45 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroGodot 12/7/20 11:38 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroPhiltron 12/8/20 4:14 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroGeneral-RADIX 12/8/20 4:51 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroVikingBoyBilly 12/8/20 11:19 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroPhiltron 12/8/20 4:29 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroVikingBoyBilly 12/9/20 4:11 a.m.
                                         Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroVikingBoyBilly 12/9/20 4:17 a.m.
                                               Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroDurandal_1707 12/9/20 5:01 a.m.
                                                     Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroVikingBoyBilly 12/9/20 7:00 a.m.
                                                           Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroAaron Freed 12/9/20 4:57 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroVikingBoyBilly 12/10/20 2:00 p.m.
                                                     Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroBob-B-Q 12/10/20 8:31 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroForrest of B.org 12/7/20 11:44 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroForrest of B.org 12/7/20 11:50 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroGeneral-RADIX 12/8/20 1:15 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroDurandal_1707 12/8/20 3:29 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroGeneral-RADIX 12/8/20 5:56 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroPhiltron 12/8/20 4:05 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroDurandal_1707 12/8/20 3:33 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroPhiltron 12/8/20 4:35 p.m.
                                         Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the Intropfhore 12/8/20 7:42 p.m.
                                               Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroPhiltron 12/10/20 6:45 p.m.
                                                     Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroGeneral-RADIX 12/10/20 8:16 p.m.
                                                           Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroPhiltron 12/12/20 8:42 a.m.
                                                     Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroGodot 12/11/20 12:07 a.m.
                                                           Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroBob-B-Q 12/11/20 8:23 a.m.
                                                           Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroDurandal_1707 12/11/20 1:57 p.m.
                                                     Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the Intropfhore 12/11/20 1:24 a.m.
     Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroGodot 12/7/20 11:24 p.m.
     Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: the IntroVikingBoyBilly 12/8/20 10:42 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.