/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 5 Stage 1
Posted By: Lion O CyborgDate: 12/5/20 9:59 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 5 Stage 1 (VikingBoyBilly)

: Alright, sure, go ahead and do those parts. I already finished the scenario a
: couple nights ago.

: I hate to say it didn't feel as much fun to replay as it was the first time
: around on the pre-makeover version (the ancient hulks wear tunics now! did
: we forget to mention that?)

: It's sorely missing the SPNKR rocket launcher, and the first time I thought I
: was choosing my own dynamic adventure in a bunch of branching paths, but
: it turned out to be fake nonlinearity to drive home the determinism. All
: that, and it gets bloody hard. It's still the best of the best marathon
: scenarios out there and pushes the engine to its limit (as seen on my
: crash when there were too many objects on a map). Maybe the magic's just
: gone. But now I've seen the failure maps that I missed the first time. I
: hope a replay of Rubicon X and finding all the secret maps is still a
: blast.

I miss the RPG too, though the Wave Motion Cannon/Portable Halo does make up for it somewhat, being able to one-shot Jugs. For me, 1.2 was also less fun to replay in some levels but more fun in others as it was more seeing what changes from 1.1 & 1.03 I liked and which I didn't. Some of the musical changes were bad such as both Freedom in Map 13 and something else in We Met Once in the Garden replacing Rushing. Fatman in Run Coward was a good music swap however as the song's chaotic tone (especially the original MIDI) fits that map perfectly.

Other good changes were the conveyor belt physics, Lia's rain/snow etc. scripts, partial vacuum the few times it's not used to screw over the player, a lot of the terrain changes (except getting rid of the Jell-O hell glitch in Third Rock From Lh'owon) and the HD textures.

The rain in the later builds on the Pfhor colony world in Chapter 2 is purple now as well, referencing a 1984 film.

On a side note, before you start your Halo 2 writeups, I do recommend checking out the SPV3 ones I did if you aren't afraid of spoilers (starting with the primer that covers the prequel books leading up to Halo 1 in chronological order, for better context than I gave when I commmented on your Halo 1 PC ones). It's a lot less ficcy than my share of Eternal's Tour too though it doesn't get away completely unscathed. That's mostly toward the end however and it's nothing than some silly text or image sketches comparing an old TV show's (third) pilot movie I like to Halo 1.

I've got a link to every part on the Pfhorums:

https://www.pfhorums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=54125

Another important thing to bear in mind: Don't play Halo 2 on the harder difficulties for the first time. Seriously, it's way harder than Halo 1. I did recently beat it on Legendary via Project Cartographer, and I'm going to do it on Halo 2 Anniversary as well on PC, but in both cases I was using a patch to make Legendary in Halo 2 not suck. Even then it was no cakewalk, just beatable.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wbS__bcOHE1e7LusFFONMaUa932RDYMD/view

There's a separate one for Halo 2A on MCC too: https://www.nexusmods.com/halothemasterchiefcollection/mods/362

Another thing is that the Warthog run restoration I've mentioned in the past I learned after I posted about it here before was that it actually replaces the High Charity level completely as opposed to just the end map chunk of that level, so covering it would require doing the normal level first, installing the mod after backing up the original level file, and then switching it back afterward.

The worst part other than it replacing the entire level is that it's not compatible with the Rebalanced Legendary mod.

Check it out:

https://www.xboxchaos.com/topic/5333-halo-2-warthog-run-restored/

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 5 Stage 1Lion O Cyborg 12/1/20 8:16 a.m.
     Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 5 Stage 1VikingBoyBilly 12/5/20 7:36 a.m.
           Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 5 Stage 1Lion O Cyborg 12/5/20 7:53 a.m.
                 Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 5 Stage 1VikingBoyBilly 12/5/20 8:53 a.m.
                       Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 5 Stage 1Lion O Cyborg 12/5/20 9:59 a.m.
                             Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 5 Stage 1VikingBoyBilly 12/5/20 1:26 p.m.
                                   Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 5 Stage 1Lion O Cyborg 12/5/20 2:42 p.m.
                                         Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 5 Stage 1VikingBoyBilly 12/6/20 6:30 a.m.
                                               Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 5 Stage 1Lion O Cyborg 12/6/20 8:04 a.m.
                                                     Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 5 Stage 1VikingBoyBilly 12/6/20 8:34 a.m.
                                                           Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 5 Stage 1Lion O Cyborg 12/6/20 2:59 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.