/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Lost Episode 3 Part 1
Posted By: Lion O CyborgDate: 12/5/20 8:04 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Lost Episode 3 Part 1 (VikingBoyBilly)

: Wea— the W word is a racist slur now? I thought it was just someone who is
: obsessed with Japanese culture. A neutral meaning on its own, but it gets
: thrown around as an insult on the internet at people who randomly inject
: words like "Ayakeshi" into casual conversation to look smart,
: but it's just pretentious. It's the new "dork" or
: "nerd" since times have changed so much that calling someone a
: nerd isn't an insult anymore.

: I like Japan! I do. Even before anime made it cool. I'm just as obsessed with
: classical Greek mythology and Egyptology, the Norse vikings (hence my
: namesake), and Mesoamerican history (with a special thanks to Pathways
: into Darkness). But if I go around saying "go to Xibalba" or
: call our nearest planet "Quetzalcoatl" instead of Venus, I'd get
: funny looks for being a Mesoboo.

: I'm guessing the word got appropriated and warped like we did to the word
: Otaku. What does the W word mean in Nihongo?

Not sure. My friend didn't specify, though she did say that people from Japan were sick and tired of westerners getting mocked and bullied just for liking their and/or their culture. That may have had some part in it.

I do not appreciate you calling me pretentious however, considering I'm actually learning the language. That was very rude.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal X Tour of Duty Lost Episode 3 Part 1Lion O Cyborg 12/1/20 6:32 a.m.
     Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Lost Episode 3 Part 1VikingBoyBilly 12/4/20 8:37 a.m.
           Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Lost Episode 3 Part 1General-RADIX 12/5/20 12:34 a.m.
           Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Lost Episode 3 Part 1Lion O Cyborg 12/5/20 7:27 a.m.
                 Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Lost Episode 3 Part 1Lion O Cyborg 12/5/20 7:48 a.m.
                 Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Lost Episode 3 Part 1VikingBoyBilly 12/5/20 7:58 a.m.
                       Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Lost Episode 3 Part 1Lion O Cyborg 12/5/20 8:04 a.m.
                             Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Lost Episode 3 Part 1VikingBoyBilly 12/5/20 8:41 a.m.
                 Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Lost Episode 3 Part 1General-RADIX 12/5/20 2:18 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Lost Episode 3 Part 1Lion O Cyborg 12/5/20 2:32 p.m.
                             Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Lost Episode 3 Part 1General-RADIX 12/5/20 3:18 p.m.
                                   Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Lost Episode 3 Part 1Lion O Cyborg 12/5/20 3:25 p.m.
                                         Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Lost Episode 3 Part 1VikingBoyBilly 12/6/20 7:42 a.m.
                                               Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Lost Episode 3 Part 1Lion O Cyborg 12/6/20 8:19 a.m.
                                               Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Lost Episode 3 Part 1General-RADIX 12/6/20 3:42 p.m.
                                                     Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Lost Episode 3 Part 1Lion O Cyborg 12/6/20 4:21 p.m.
                                                           Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Lost Episode 3 Part 1VikingBoyBilly 12/6/20 5:12 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Lost Episode 3 Part 1Lion O Cyborg 12/7/20 2:58 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.