/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead box
Posted By: W'rkncacnterDate: 2/2/19 2:06 p.m.

In Response To: Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead box (VikingBoyBilly)

: Is this like that other PID port that made all the levels linear with one
: exit? I don't want something that's not the true PID experience. Having to
: force in difficulties because they exist in the engine is a worrying sign.

It's nothing like that other port. I used lua to implement all the stuff that makes PiD what it is. Having said that, there are differences due to engine differences. I consider them all to be pretty minor. Here's the list of known differences:

* Monster AI and activation rules are slightly different, although I tried to make it as accurate as I possibly could.
* TURBO and the red cloak don't work exactly the same. TURBO is a cheat, and the red cloak is mostly useless, so I'm not too worried about this.
* The red potion doesn't slow down monster attack animations or lower the pitch of sounds. However, like the original game, it does cause monsters to move slower, attack less often, and projectiles to move slower.
* You can't just drop any item. The Alien Gemstone is the only thing in the game you can drop, because it's the only thing worth dropping. Technical issues prevent being able to drop everything at any time.
* Doors open from top to bottom instead of left to right.
* Ammo does not show up in your inventory (it is in the HUD). You also don't need to micromanage your cedar box, as it will automatically "empty" each time new ammo is created.
* The inventory system is managed differently (obviously).
* This port allows you to change the difficulty, play in full screen, play on more than just macs, and other quality of life things that come with Aleph One.
* Various visual differences.
* Containers don't get full based on weight, I just did it based on number of items. Mostly this was laziness and it just didn't matter to me.
* You cannot pick up partially empty magazines for weapons like the original game. If you pick up a weapon that you already have, you'll be given one full magazine of that type of ammo. In the original game, there was often a partially used magazine inside the gun.
* You cannot skip weapon reload animations (although there is a similar exploit in this port that basically does the same thing).
* The labrynth pulls from a pool of 50 levels rather than generating on the fly. Also, the mazes are probably a little less annoying than the ones the original generated.

So if you feel you need a 100% authentic experience, you're still probably stuck with using a mac emulator. I'm pretty picky about how well the port matches the original, so if it's good enough for me, it's probably good enough for 95% of people.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

PID Tour of Duty Chapter 7Lion O Cyborg 1/19/19 3:09 a.m.
     Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 7Lion O Cyborg 1/19/19 3:31 a.m.
     Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 7General-RADIX 1/19/19 3:43 a.m.
           Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 7Lion O Cyborg 1/19/19 3:47 a.m.
     I escaped the pyramid without a lead box *NM*VikingBoyBilly 1/21/19 11:06 a.m.
           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/21/19 11:41 a.m.
                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/21/19 7:07 p.m.
                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/22/19 8:43 a.m.
                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/22/19 9:53 a.m.
                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/22/19 10:47 a.m.
                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/22/19 11:17 a.m.
                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/22/19 11:42 a.m.
                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/22/19 12:31 p.m.
                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/22/19 12:54 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/22/19 1:03 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/22/19 8:13 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/22/19 8:41 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/23/19 6:28 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/23/19 7:17 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/23/19 7:18 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/23/19 7:17 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/23/19 11:48 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/23/19 2:07 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/23/19 2:50 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/23/19 7:29 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/24/19 1:13 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxtreellama 1/24/19 7:58 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Need a light?VikingBoyBilly 1/24/19 4:13 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/23/19 7:40 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/24/19 1:13 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/24/19 8:28 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/25/19 12:30 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/25/19 8:05 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/25/19 1:51 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/25/19 2:29 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 1/27/19 6:02 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/27/19 8:07 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/27/19 9:56 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 1/31/19 5:53 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/31/19 6:21 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 1/31/19 7:16 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/31/19 7:36 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 2/1/19 7:24 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/1/19 10:33 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 2/1/19 11:05 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/1/19 1:23 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 2/1/19 2:34 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/2/19 1:46 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/2/19 2:06 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/2/19 4:56 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/2/19 5:16 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/3/19 5:40 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 2/3/19 6:34 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/3/19 10:00 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/3/19 10:51 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/3/19 3:26 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/3/19 4:19 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/3/19 6:00 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/4/19 1:33 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/4/19 6:07 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/4/19 7:08 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/4/19 2:32 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/4/19 4:15 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxForrest of B.org 2/4/19 6:26 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/4/19 8:15 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 2/5/19 4:11 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/5/19 6:30 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 2/5/19 7:14 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/4/19 10:18 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/5/19 6:24 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/5/19 2:53 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/5/19 5:18 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/5/19 11:38 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/6/19 1:14 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/6/19 6:13 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/6/19 5:23 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/6/19 8:08 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/7/19 5:56 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/7/19 7:25 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/9/19 5:18 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/6/19 8:48 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/6/19 8:55 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/6/19 11:15 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/7/19 6:15 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/7/19 6:15 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/7/19 7:30 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/7/19 1:07 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/10/19 1:23 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/10/19 2:39 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/10/19 4:07 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/10/19 4:21 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/10/19 4:48 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/10/19 5:51 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/4/19 9:22 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 2/4/19 2:24 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/4/19 8:30 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 2/5/19 10:03 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/9/19 5:21 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/3/19 11:29 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/3/19 11:37 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/3/19 2:01 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 2/4/19 3:00 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: AO PID differencesAndrew Nagy 1/16/20 9:16 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: AO PID differencesW'rkncacnter 1/17/20 3:24 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: AO PID differencesAndrew Nagy 1/18/20 4:33 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: AO PID differencesW'rkncacnter 1/18/20 5:14 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 1/31/19 6:48 p.m.
                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 1/22/19 12:10 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.