/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead box
Posted By: W'rkncacnterDate: 1/31/19 6:21 p.m.

In Response To: Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead box (xcalibur)

: In the 'opening game' of PiD, you need to conserve Walther ammo, so adding
: more magazines would definitely make things easier.

Eh, I don't really consider using your knife "difficult" in any way, other than simply knowing to actually do it. If you don't know to use your knife, you'll screw yourself over later and have to start all over, which is one major problem with the game. Oh well.

I guess my thoughts are:
1) If you're going to play the game on TC, you're not looking for a particularly authentic experience.
2) If you're going to play the game on TC, you probably don't mind amping the action up a little and skipping the slower paced knife fights.

: You said earlier that
: sped-up headlesses break though the 'stunlock' of the knife, are you sure
: that's the case? I can stunlock ghouls with the knife, it takes execution
: but it's doable (you have to press attack every time they flinch, rather
: than hold down the key).

Pretty sure. To be clear, I'm talking about Total Carnage here, which causes the delay in between attacks to get shortened significantly.

In the original I can just hold down the key and it works 99% of the time against headlesses and ghouls. Aleph One doesn't allow you to skip part of any animations, so I don't know how anything could be faster than holding the button down. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Interestingly, I don't have any trouble using my knife against ghouls in TC, just headlesses.

: This leads me to ask whether you're using the
: knife efficiently, or whether something else gets skewed when you speed up
: headlesses -- perhaps firing window? Maybe the 'attack frames' are faster,
: and you could make the knife viable by slowing down the firing sequence
: (while maintaining higher speed and attack rate). Or perhaps the devs
: didn't intend for you to attack headlesses more than twice with the knife,
: so there's a condition ghouls have that headlesses don't.

My main priority is that the game matches the original as close as possible on Normal difficulty. Assuming I have the timing right of everything on Normal, I don't really have much say in how things get sped up in TC. That logic is built into the engine. I could maybe uncheck the "alien" checkbox for headlesses so they don't scale up with difficulty, but I kind of feel like that would defeat the purpose of playing on TC in the first place.

Feel free to try it yourself and double check that I got the timing of things right when I release this. I can't say for certain everything is 100% accurate. This will probably be publicly available in a week or two.

: The time-limit is also a convenient mechanic for adjusting difficulty. While
: the Friday deadline is generous, I wouldn't call it a 'joke'. It's there
: to keep a certain degree of pressure on for completing the game and
: acquiring bonus points. Adding/subtracting days would work -- moving it
: further back would give you more bonus points and even more room for
: error, while moving it closer would make the game more hectic. While
: Thursday is still within the 'moderate window', a Wednesday deadline would
: make for a more hectic game; Tuesday even more so. Monday would be highly
: demanding for anyone who's not an expert. Thus, I'd say there's a
: 'difficulty slope' regarding time-limits, which quickly becomes steeper as
: it's moved closer in.

: Resting is an important mechanic in this game, and it factors into the
: time-limit. Each unit of rest restores 1/7 of your health over 7 minutes
: of time (there's the number 7 again!). The more hits you take, the more
: rest you'll need, which burns through more of your time. There's an
: important connection here between difficulty and time-limit -- if monster
: shots hit harder or are more difficult to dodge, this will require more
: rest (depending on the players skill) thus shifting the 'moderate window'
: for the time-limit.

: This leads me to another idea -- you could alter resting periods so that each
: interval costs more or less minutes of time (I would leave the 1/7 health
: increase as-is). This would work in tandem with the time-limit to adjust
: difficulty in a way that would feel natural. In fact, I would recommend
: this.

I think I'll wait to see if anyone plays this, and if they do, I'd be open to suggestions of what could be improved in terms of how to improve the difficulty levels. Your ideas aren't bad, but I'm not motivated at this time to really make changes, since I'm 99% sure no one will even play this thing. I mostly ported it for myself.

: This post got longer than intended. I'll conclude by saying that I hope my
: ideas were useful. Also, I always thought the poison status should wear
: off after a certain amount of damage -- if you're willing to take
: liberties with the game, that's a change I think most players would
: accept.

I'm not really willing to take liberties with the game, but it may be possible for people to make plugins for changes like this.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

PID Tour of Duty Chapter 7Lion O Cyborg 1/19/19 3:09 a.m.
     Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 7Lion O Cyborg 1/19/19 3:31 a.m.
     Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 7General-RADIX 1/19/19 3:43 a.m.
           Re: PID Tour of Duty Chapter 7Lion O Cyborg 1/19/19 3:47 a.m.
     I escaped the pyramid without a lead box *NM*VikingBoyBilly 1/21/19 11:06 a.m.
           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/21/19 11:41 a.m.
                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/21/19 7:07 p.m.
                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/22/19 8:43 a.m.
                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/22/19 9:53 a.m.
                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/22/19 10:47 a.m.
                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/22/19 11:17 a.m.
                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/22/19 11:42 a.m.
                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/22/19 12:31 p.m.
                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/22/19 12:54 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/22/19 1:03 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/22/19 8:13 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/22/19 8:41 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/23/19 6:28 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/23/19 7:17 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/23/19 7:18 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/23/19 7:17 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/23/19 11:48 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/23/19 2:07 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/23/19 2:50 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/23/19 7:29 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/24/19 1:13 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxtreellama 1/24/19 7:58 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Need a light?VikingBoyBilly 1/24/19 4:13 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/23/19 7:40 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/24/19 1:13 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/24/19 8:28 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/25/19 12:30 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/25/19 8:05 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 1/25/19 1:51 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/25/19 2:29 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 1/27/19 6:02 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 1/27/19 8:07 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/27/19 9:56 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 1/31/19 5:53 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/31/19 6:21 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 1/31/19 7:16 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 1/31/19 7:36 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 2/1/19 7:24 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/1/19 10:33 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 2/1/19 11:05 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/1/19 1:23 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 2/1/19 2:34 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/2/19 1:46 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/2/19 2:06 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/2/19 4:56 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/2/19 5:16 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/3/19 5:40 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 2/3/19 6:34 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/3/19 10:00 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/3/19 10:51 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/3/19 3:26 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/3/19 4:19 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/3/19 6:00 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/4/19 1:33 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/4/19 6:07 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/4/19 7:08 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/4/19 2:32 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/4/19 4:15 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxForrest of B.org 2/4/19 6:26 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/4/19 8:15 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 2/5/19 4:11 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/5/19 6:30 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 2/5/19 7:14 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/4/19 10:18 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/5/19 6:24 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/5/19 2:53 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/5/19 5:18 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/5/19 11:38 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/6/19 1:14 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/6/19 6:13 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/6/19 5:23 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/6/19 8:08 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/7/19 5:56 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/7/19 7:25 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/9/19 5:18 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/6/19 8:48 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/6/19 8:55 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/6/19 11:15 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/7/19 6:15 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/7/19 6:15 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/7/19 7:30 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/7/19 1:07 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/10/19 1:23 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/10/19 2:39 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/10/19 4:07 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/10/19 4:21 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/10/19 4:48 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/10/19 5:51 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/4/19 9:22 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 2/4/19 2:24 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/4/19 8:30 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxLion O Cyborg 2/5/19 10:03 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 2/9/19 5:21 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/3/19 11:29 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxW'rkncacnter 2/3/19 11:37 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxShining Raven 2/3/19 2:01 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 2/4/19 3:00 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: AO PID differencesAndrew Nagy 1/16/20 9:16 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: AO PID differencesW'rkncacnter 1/17/20 3:24 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: AO PID differencesAndrew Nagy 1/18/20 4:33 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: AO PID differencesW'rkncacnter 1/18/20 5:14 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxxcalibur 1/31/19 6:48 p.m.
                 Re: I escaped the pyramid without a lead boxVikingBoyBilly 1/22/19 12:10 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.