/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: DiaBD Volunteers - Let's get out of here!
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 6/17/05 6:30 a.m.

In Response To: Re: DiaBD Volunteers - Let's get out of here! (MartiNZ)

: Sure, I'll play it again and write it up some time tomorrow. As for
: Schmackle, I remember hearing about that but it wasn't obvious in playing
: that it was a different level, if I remember. I think I pretty much gave
: up on Evil at that point anyway - not sure I ever finished the level ...
: of course I was playing on TC and it's notoriously one of the hardest;
: damn non-operative pattern buffer!

Schmackle is one of the few if not the only level that John Sumner never was able to vid. I myself finally completed it for the first time on TC when I did the volunteers series - one of the last levels in a major scenario to fall to my charm. It's not that there are two entirely different levels, but there are two completely separate and overlapping maps that have been superimposed and joined in two different places. I've never quite seen anything like it in a 5D implementation. If you remember the room at the top of the first lift, there are two doors. One leads to the room that is filled with cyborgs and mystics. The other is open just a crack so that you can see into the second map layout, but you can't enter it. You finally get to the other layout when you open the final door on the lower level (as in Blasphemy Quaranteen) and jump through the lava falls. It's like jumping into a parallel univers, which is exactly the effect that Frigidman was trying to achieve. This is the first level I think I ever saw that mixed lava and water textures in a single level - and that was before AO. Pretty cool, but I really wish that PB worked! One of the cruelest jokes in the entire Maraverse.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

DiaBD Volunteers - Let's get out of here!Steve Levinson 6/16/05 7:55 a.m.
     Re: DiaBD Volunteers - Let's get out of here!MartiNZ 6/16/05 2:32 p.m.
           Re: DiaBD Volunteers - Let's get out of here!Steve Levinson 6/16/05 5:27 p.m.
                 Re: DiaBD Volunteers - Let's get out of here!MartiNZ 6/16/05 5:48 p.m.
                       Re: DiaBD Volunteers - Let's get out of here!Steve Levinson 6/17/05 6:30 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.