/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Eternal Volunteers, G3 Moontanning
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 1/6/05 8:38 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Eternal Volunteers, G3 Moontanning (Steve Levinson)

: We probably ought to do a separate volunteers post on the prologue - it's
: packed with information. It has been a very long time since I read it and
: had forgotten a lot of key details, including the "Marcus"
: nickname for Mark V cyborg. The prologue also significantly helps to tie
: in Ch 5, but we'll get to that later.

Do you think so? ChV seems to me to go about as far away from the premise outlined in the prologue as anything gets in Eternal. That's kinda the point, too; the prologue mission is just a setup, and you wind up chasing Hathor across time and space from there. Leela eventually gets back to the events mentioned in the prologue, but you aren't with her when she does.

: Again, we should probably start a
: separate thread for this, but I find there is a disconnect between the
: Hathor in the Prologue and the one we meet in gameplay. We quickly come to
: realize that she is evil in the game, but without explanation. I know we
: pick up a lot on her later on, but something seems to be missing at this
: stage of the game. Perhaps it would help if there were a hint of Hathor's
: intentions in the prologue - sort of like Durandal's chuckle in the
: prologue in the M1 manual.

There are such hints, but they are very subtle.

Marcus says, "Hathor is ready for departure. She's been delaying the start of the mission for weeks now, much to the chagrin of the leadership around here, and refuses to tell anyone why."

Hathor says, "I can tell the upper brass is anxious to see us get moving (utterly missing the whole concept that we have literally all the time in the universe)", which is meant to sound condescending.

And Hathor reiterates Marcus' earlier statement, "It's getting close to departure time, and I want to make history at just the right moment. I'm sure only you get the significance of it, but it's been fun to frustrate those who think they can tell us what to do and when."

Basically Hathor is playing good girl while she's under watch and needs your help to get her plans under way, but there's hints in there that she really doesn't like the people in charge. As soon as she is wired into the Marathon network, she no longer needs you and throws you over to the Pfhor ship to keep you busy while she makes her move. Unfortunately for her, she takes longer, or you move faster, than she had anticipated, and you begin to foil her plans.

But you do have a point, and I have noticed it before: Hathor's writing style changes so drastically from when she's pretending to be good, and when she's being depressed/melodramatic/evil. Maybe it's just a reflection of my own bipolar personality, because Hathor is largely modeled after myself. But I'm having other people go over the terminals, as well as the maps, for style, spelling, grammar, etc, so hopefully that'll be somewhat improved.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal Volunteers, G3 Moontanningblake37 1/6/05 1:18 p.m.
     Re: Eternal Volunteers, G3 MoontanningAdam Ashwell 1/6/05 1:39 p.m.
           Re: Eternal Volunteers, G3 Moontanningblake37 1/6/05 1:53 p.m.
     Re: Eternal Volunteers, G3 MoontanningSteve Levinson 1/6/05 2:11 p.m.
           Re: Eternal Volunteers, G3 MoontanningForrest of B.org 1/6/05 2:48 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal Volunteers, G3 Moontanningblake37 1/6/05 3:14 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal Volunteers, G3 MoontanningSteve Levinson 1/6/05 7:29 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal Volunteers, G3 MoontanningForrest of B.org 1/6/05 8:38 p.m.
           Re: Eternal Volunteers, G3 Moontanningblake37 1/6/05 3:13 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal Volunteers, G3 MoontanningYossarian 1/6/05 4:16 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal Volunteers, G3 Moontanningblake37 1/6/05 4:55 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal Volunteers, G3 MoontanningSteve Levinson 1/6/05 7:19 p.m.
                             Re: Eternal Volunteers, G3 Moontanningblake37 1/7/05 10:24 a.m.
                                   Re: Eternal Volunteers, G3 MoontanningForrest of B.org 1/7/05 11:01 a.m.
                                         Re: Eternal Volunteers, G3 MoontanningForrest of B.org 1/7/05 11:12 a.m.
                                               Re: Eternal Volunteers, G3 Moontanningblake37 1/7/05 1:20 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal Volunteers, G3 MoontanningD-M.A. 1/8/05 1:15 a.m.
                             Re: Eternal Volunteers, G3 Moontanningblake37 1/8/05 3:45 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.