/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Eternal Volunteers - Stark Raven Mad
Posted By: Adam AshwellDate: 1/5/05 1:45 p.m.

Eternal's third level, Stark Raven Mad, takes place on the Pfhor ship. For some reason we don't yet know, we're on the Pfhor ship, and the beginning of the level really shoves that fact right in our face. You start out in a big room with a juggernaut right in front of you, with some drones and enforcers on the side. Just jump down and run through the big opening. After a quick dip through some Pfhor goo, you'll find yourself on either the right or left side of the next area. This is an interesting area, and the strategies involved can be quite fun. Note here: When the enforcers fire from far away, no noise is heard at all. Whether or not this was true in M1 I don't know, but I don't like it. I understand that it's because you're far away enough to be out of earshot of the firing, but it just feels really weird getting shot with no sound at all.

At the top there's a switch opening two areas, one on each side of the area. Both have switches and pattern buffers inside, and flipping both switches gives you access to the upper area. There's a 3x shield recharger up there - it seems very generous at first glance, but what with all the level's enforcers, it's very nice to have. There's also an 02 recharger here - if you don't have full oxygen, FILL UP. You'll want every bit of oxygen you can get on the next level. Soon you come to an area with five branches. After an enforcer ambush, head up to the right, where you'll find the only working teleporter. Using it sends you into the juggernaut storage area. I'm glad there are some enemies in here now - it was pretty boring in the previous versions. There are also some Pfhor down in the pits who don't seem to be able to activate the elevators. It'd be cool if they could, and if they were activated only when the player neared, making it look like they were coming in to intercept the player.

Continue on and find a big hallway with some fighters. The only unlocked door leads to a rather big room with two enforcers guarding a switch, terminal, and 2x recharger. Flip the switch, fill up your shields, and read the terminal to be teleported back to the room with five branches. This time go straight ahead into the newly opened up teleporter, and back to the Marathon...

This level is, in most areas, very bright, in stark contrast to the Pfhor ship in M1. The brightness makes it look very alien in one sense, but very non-alien in another sense. It's a blast to play, though. All in all a fun level, I do have some problems with this level on the matter of level design, much as I have problems with that in all of Chapter 1.

Thus ends this volunteers post. Tomorrow will be level four, "G3 Moontanning".

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal Volunteers - Stark Raven MadAdam Ashwell 1/5/05 1:45 p.m.
     Re: Eternal Volunteers - Stark Raven Madblake37 1/5/05 4:34 p.m.
           Re: Eternal Volunteers - Stark Raven MadAdam Ashwell 1/5/05 4:41 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal Volunteers - Stark Raven Madblake37 1/5/05 5:03 p.m.
     Re: Eternal Volunteers - Stark Raven MadSteve Levinson 1/5/05 4:40 p.m.
           Re: Eternal Volunteers - Stark Raven MadDr. John Sumner 1/5/05 5:13 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal Volunteers - Stark Raven MadSteve Levinson 1/6/05 6:17 a.m.
                       Re: Eternal Volunteers - Stark Raven MadDr. John Sumner 1/6/05 7:55 a.m.
     Re: Eternal Volunteers - Stark Raven MadD-M.A. 1/8/05 12:56 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.