/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public Transit
Posted By: mattschenkDate: 8/22/04 2:52 p.m.

In Response To: Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public Transit (Cheerful)

First Maglev Magnum:

The whole "trick" with the arriving train was very hard to do with the limitations of the M1 engine; but here's how it is done (this will come into play when I explain the rest of the level).

The level is set on "extermination" and the number of baddies is tightly controlled to minimize an arrived train but reluctant exit terminal. The whole thing relies on the player killing the aliens as he comes across them. This will lead the player to the train platform where the beginning train platform is activated. This platform cannot be seen by the player, unless they use a mapeditor, and is set on a delay. This delay allows the player time to kill the remaining aliens, recharge shields, read the terminal, and save. Then this starter platform activates killing over 8 aliens. Why over 8? Because it is an extermination level, so this platform must be actiavated to leave the level. Once this alien-crushing platform activates, it activates a series of platforms that are synchronized to give the appearance of horizontal movement. Thus the train arrives, the aliens are dead, and the terminal is now switched to the "briefing" phase to exit the level.

So, this is why the large maze portion of the level is uninhabited. The player does not need to go there so if there were monsters, then the train could arrive but the terminal would not allow the player to leave. I suppose I could remedy this by placing a switch deep in the maze that would activate the door to the train platform. Or I could leave this area uninhabited but add a secret or two and/or an important terminal so that the area is not necessary but a bonus of sorts. Actually, Andy designed the main section of this level. I helped make the train trick and such; but there were so many polys left that I HAD to add something. I decided to "flesh out" the complex by adding the dark maintenance sublevels. But then I realized I could not populate them without ruining the train trick. I did not want to outright delete them either. So, let me know which you would prefer: a switch that needs to be activated in the maze and monsters guarding it; OR make that area just a bonus area without any monsters but something or other to make it worthwhile to explore.

Once again, limitations of the marathon engine keep me from making the exit ON the train. Trust me, I tried, but nothing satisfactory works. I then decided to use the terminal but was hoping it was more understood that you read Osinder's message and then during that time the next level is loading, your character just leaves the terminal and walks onto the train. If there was some way of altering the level transition so that you didn't "teleport" everytime I would have just used a fade out or something similar.

So we're now on the train. First off, the horizontal textures move as fast as they can. Sorry, I can't make them faster :( I will see what I can do about the crushing platform; it should not be that hard to do and it is a good idea.
Finally, did anybody notice anything strange about those hunters at the end? If not, try opening the door to the last car, activating the enemies, then close the door and keep it closed. When they KILL eachother go in, if any troopers remain destroy them. If any hunters remain, stand still for a while without attacking them. Hmmmm.... something doesn't seem right with these aliens....

Well, my time alloted to the computer has greatly diminished as I have to start packing to go back home and then to school. I'm trying to keep a list of things to fix and consider, but it may be some time before I can get to actually working on them.
-matt

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

PF – Maglev Magnum/Public TransitSteve Levinson 8/21/04 10:06 p.m.
     Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public TransitDr. John Sumner 8/22/04 12:45 a.m.
           Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public TransitDr. John Sumner 8/22/04 12:58 a.m.
                 Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public TransitCheerful 8/22/04 11:41 a.m.
                       Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public Transitmattschenk 8/22/04 2:52 p.m.
                             Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public TransitDr. John Sumner 8/22/04 3:56 p.m.
                             Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public TransitSteve Levinson 8/22/04 5:42 p.m.
                                   Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public TransitMista_B 8/22/04 6:16 p.m.
                                         Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public TransitSteve Levinson 8/22/04 7:22 p.m.
                                   Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public Transitmattschenk 8/22/04 6:26 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.