/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public Transit
Posted By: Dr. John SumnerDate: 8/22/04 12:45 a.m.

In Response To: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public Transit (Steve Levinson)

: The problem is that there are
: projectile fighters taking pot shots at you from both sides of the walkway
: and you can't get to them directly - I bet John hates this - you have to
: take them out at a distance if you want to get a free shot at that switch.

Yeah, it does make clearing out the level more difficult. However, there is a way to clear out almost all of these fighters without using ammo, and you gave the hint yourself Steve. Though I would never do this is a vid film, it is real easy to use the fighter bolts to knock you out of the hallway and into the area where they reside. From there you can defeat all but one of the fighters with fists. You need to leave one alive so that it can knock you back into the hallway with its bolt. Speaking of, that is a simple tip to keep in mind in case you are accidently knocked off the hallway. Assuming you have sufficient shields, don't panic. Stand up against the bordering ledge and wait for the fighter bolt to knock you back into the hallway. Using this technique, I was able to defeat all enemies in the entire level except for two projectile fighters (the one in them is in the inaccessible switch room) using no ammo. As for it being a bug, I suppose Matt COULD make it so that it's impossible to be knocked off the hallway. Now that would really stink for me, wouldn't it? :)

: Once
: they're cleared, you can use the 3X shield recharger and save your game,
: and then wait for the train to appear.

Don't forget about the small ammo cache on the other side of the tracks. In case the train has already arrived, no worries mate! You can still get around the train to grab it.

: Yes, there is a somewhat cool looking room to jump down to,
: and a very extensive maze to make your way back up, but there is no real
: reason to visit any of these areas. Matt, you might want to find a way to
: integrate these more into the story - add a secret or two, maybe an
: important terminal that the player wouldn't want to miss - otherwise the
: maze is a waste of time.

Yes, I agree. Since the player can get to the 3x recharger before exploring the maze, there's no reason NOT to beef up that area as much as Matt wants.

: In Public Transit - the player only needs to pass the time while waiting for
: the train to arrive at its destination. Unfortunately, the player isn't
: the only one on board, The objective is to make your way through the train
: from one end to the other.

Ok, I mentioned last time that I had my non-favorite levels. There are only two levels in the entire scenario that I just do not care for. This is one of them. I'll leave the other one unnamed until we get to it. There are two reasons this level is not a favorite of mine at all. One reason is that my style of play (using no ammo if possible) makes this one of the most difficult levels in the scenario for me. Even so, I was able to get through the entire level using no ammo at all. The only other thing that bothers me about this level is the lack of a PB at the end. I do not expect a recharger on this level, so that was not a surprise. I was surprised though that there was no PB at the end. Were there a PB at the beginning of the next level, then I would not be concerned. However, the PB in the next level is not easily accessed. You do have MANY enemies to get through before arriving at it. In Public Transit you have to work your way through 6 narrow train cars containing 15 Troopers and 2 Hunters. I realize the player starts with 3x shields. Can you imagine the frustration of getting through all of those enemies, reaching the end, teleporting to the next level, dying somewhere in the beginning and having to do it all over again? On TC, that is a distinct possibility. Anyway, my request is for Matt to think about putting a PB at the end of Public Transit, or at least putting one nearer the beginning of the next level.

There are also two minor concerns with this level I wanted to mention. It is definitely possible for the Troopers to fall in the crack between consecutive train cars. I had this happen numerous times. It's the same situation as was experienced in Sacking of Troy. The other concern is the same as was experienced in Grey Behind the Red. If a Trooper becomes berserked, it's possible that it will start attacking the train seats. It's not a big deal and does make for a humerous moment, but seems kinda silly. On the other hand, after thinking about it, this makes perfect sense to me to leave this behavior the way it is. Is not this the essence of "berserked"? A berserked enemy should act in an uncontrollable, confused manner. Shooting at bushes or train seats would be something I would expect a berserked enemy to do.

: Should the
: player jump off the back end, they will die a slow death, thanks to the
: floor textures being set to cause major damage. Matt, I think it might be
: more realistic to use a crushing platform back there - death should be
: more instantaneous.

Yes I agree. Also, if you jump out of the train, it's possible to walk toward the front of the MOVING train. So making the player die by a crushing platform would be perfect.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

PF – Maglev Magnum/Public TransitSteve Levinson 8/21/04 10:06 p.m.
     Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public TransitDr. John Sumner 8/22/04 12:45 a.m.
           Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public TransitDr. John Sumner 8/22/04 12:58 a.m.
                 Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public TransitCheerful 8/22/04 11:41 a.m.
                       Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public Transitmattschenk 8/22/04 2:52 p.m.
                             Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public TransitDr. John Sumner 8/22/04 3:56 p.m.
                             Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public TransitSteve Levinson 8/22/04 5:42 p.m.
                                   Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public TransitMista_B 8/22/04 6:16 p.m.
                                         Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public TransitSteve Levinson 8/22/04 7:22 p.m.
                                   Re: PF – Maglev Magnum/Public Transitmattschenk 8/22/04 6:26 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.