Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: My thoughts on Halo 4
Posted By: thebruce0 <g.may@thebruce.net>Date: 2/26/13 7:51 p.m.

In Response To: Re: My thoughts on Halo 4 (General Vagueness)

:: But when it comes to sex, being desensitized can become a downward spiral
:: everyone can suffer from, regardless of age, just in their own thoughts.
: I don't know what you're talking about.

Lust.

: That's been the case since the first game came out though. I was thinking
: about saying this before and didn't because I didn't want to stir things
: too much and Stephen Loftus came in and expressed a lot of what I was
: thinking, but if you didn't realize Cortana's hologram was a naked woman
: before (not in a bodysuit, naked), you were seeing what you wanted to see,
: or maybe more like what you wanted others to see.

There's a difference between implication and blatant visual imagery. Yes it was clear she was intending to present herself as a female figure without adornment, apart from the nature of her existence - holographic digital lines and bits of data. And her initial depiction was visually undeniably different than how realistic she's being depicted now (and it's not just due to an improved graphics engine). Surely you can grasp that difference... =/

:: you could say the issue goes beyond just the moral
:: perspective on 'violence', and now comes more blatantly at the 'sexuality'
:: perspective as well

: Only in the most benign way

YMMV. As I said, it depends both on culture and the person viewing said media. In western culture and particularly the circles I people I often associate with, her display is extremely sexualized. Unnecessarily so. Before, she was a holographic feminine figure. Now she's an anatomically accurate naked woman who even appears as if she has substance, not just formed of..whatever she was formed of in HCE =P

: which is to say, that males and females, particularly their bodies, are different

o_O

: Nothing about Cortana's
: appearance or personality or dialog presents as anything more.

Seriously?
Whether it's camera angles, or shading, or level of detail, or innuendo, or just the fact that she's, you know, not wearing clothes, there is very much about her that's presented in a sexualized fashion, in context of our culture. Far more-so than if her shape were slightly less 'detailed'

: If you like something your friends think is offensive, IDK why you'd be
: friends with them.

erm... please don't get into the realm of implying with whom I should or shouldn't be friends. You probably want to steer clear of that in this discussion.
First impressions and lack of context play a huge role in understanding.

: You're right, that's how our culture is. No culture of more than a few people
: is monolithic or unchanging though, and logic has a role to play in
: culture (that is, it's valid and sometimes valuable to ask, "Does
: this aspect of our culture make sense?").

And that is the ongoing discussion in western culture.
And no, from my position, if it's not already clear, the growing realism of Cortana's nudity doesn't make sense given the character I've grown to know and love, and given the type of video game in which she's a character.

Here's a quick image I brushed up from one common image I grabbed, making a few minor adjustments and such, just to show how a few small changes and can make a big different, while still retaining her classic Cortana presence, but without what many may consider unnecessary attention to realistic detail.
And as usual, YMMV (you do know what that means, right? and that there's a reason I put them in my comments in the places I do =P)

That is still Cortana.
And a less blatantly naked attractive woman. =P

http://halo.thebruce.net

Message Index

Replies:

My thoughts on Halo 4Rockslider 2/21/13 1:05 p.m.
     Re: Door TroubleSonGoharotto 2/21/13 2:05 p.m.
           Re: Door TroubleRockslider 2/21/13 2:29 p.m.
           Re: Door TroubleDef Guru 7777 2/21/13 5:09 p.m.
     Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Kermit 2/21/13 9:48 p.m.
           Re: My thoughts on Halo 4SonGoharotto 2/21/13 10:10 p.m.
                 Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Def Guru 7777 2/22/13 2:34 a.m.
     Disposable Entertainment after allCody Miller 2/22/13 2:00 a.m.
           Re: Disposable Entertainment after allRockslider 2/22/13 4:23 p.m.
     Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Mirel 2/22/13 6:00 a.m.
     Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/22/13 1:09 p.m.
           Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Quirel 2/22/13 2:13 p.m.
                 Re: My thoughts on Halo 4uberfoop 2/22/13 2:28 p.m.
                 She had a navel in H1Rockslider 2/22/13 7:30 p.m.
                       Re: She had a navel in H1Kermit 2/22/13 7:36 p.m.
                             Re: She had a navel in H1RC Master 2/22/13 9:21 p.m.
                       Re: She had a navel in H1Quirel 2/23/13 5:30 p.m.
                 Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/23/13 10:07 a.m.
           Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Rockslider 2/22/13 3:58 p.m.
                 Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/23/13 11:10 a.m.
                       Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Rockslider 2/23/13 12:02 p.m.
                             Re: My thoughts on Halo 4scarab 2/24/13 5:35 a.m.
                                   Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Rockslider 2/24/13 6:37 a.m.
                                         Re: My thoughts on Halo 4scarab 2/24/13 11:41 a.m.
                                               Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Rockslider 2/24/13 12:24 p.m.
                                   Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/24/13 3:43 p.m.
                                         Re: My thoughts on Halo 4thebruce0 2/25/13 10:04 a.m.
                                               Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/25/13 10:55 a.m.
                                                     Down the rabbit hole...Arithmomaniac 2/25/13 2:20 p.m.
                                                           Re: Down the rabbit hole...General Vagueness 2/25/13 5:34 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Down the rabbit hole...Arithmomaniac 2/26/13 2:58 a.m.
                                                           Re: Down the rabbit hole...General Vagueness 2/25/13 5:36 p.m.
                                                     Re: My thoughts on Halo 4thebruce0 2/26/13 9:41 a.m.
                                                           Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/26/13 3:37 p.m.
                                                                 Re: My thoughts on Halo 4thebruce0 2/26/13 7:51 p.m.
                                                                       Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Kermit 2/26/13 8:37 p.m.
                                                                             I didn't say thatRockslider 2/27/13 6:29 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: I didn't say thatKermit 2/27/13 2:33 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: I didn't say thatKermit 2/27/13 10:17 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: I didn't say thatRockslider 2/28/13 2:19 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I didn't say thatKermit 3/1/13 6:24 p.m.
                                                                       Nicely done!Rockslider 2/27/13 6:49 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Nicely done!thebruce0 2/27/13 8:27 a.m.
                                                                       Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/28/13 4:45 p.m.
                                                                             Re: My thoughts on Halo 4thebruce0 3/1/13 9:43 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 3/1/13 4:16 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: My thoughts on Halo 4thebruce0 3/1/13 5:37 p.m.
                                                     Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Cody Miller 2/27/13 12:02 a.m.
                                                           Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/27/13 5:35 a.m.
                                                                 Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Bry 2/27/13 7:02 a.m.
                                                                       Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/28/13 5:08 p.m.
                                                                 Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Cody Miller 2/27/13 6:58 p.m.
                                                                       Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/27/13 7:06 p.m.
                                                                             Re: My thoughts on Halo 4DEEP NNN 2/27/13 11:01 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Quirel 2/28/13 12:20 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: My thoughts on Halo 4DEEP NNN 2/28/13 7:41 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/28/13 5:20 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Quirel 2/28/13 11:55 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 3/1/13 3:53 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Kermit 3/1/13 6:56 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Cody Miller 3/1/13 1:34 a.m.
                                                                       Re: My thoughts on Halo 4RC Master 2/27/13 7:48 p.m.
                                                                       Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/28/13 5:11 p.m.
                                         Re: My thoughts on Halo 4scarab 2/28/13 5:54 a.m.
                                               Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/28/13 5:25 p.m.
                             Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/24/13 2:56 p.m.
                                   Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Rockslider 2/24/13 3:33 p.m.
                                         Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/24/13 4:05 p.m.
                                               Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Rockslider 2/24/13 4:27 p.m.
                 Re: My thoughts on Halo 4uberfoop 2/23/13 12:40 p.m.
                       Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Rockslider 2/23/13 1:28 p.m.
     Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Gravemind 2/22/13 2:43 p.m.
           Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Rockslider 2/22/13 4:20 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.