Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: My thoughts on Halo 4
Posted By: thebruce0 <g.may@thebruce.net>Date: 2/26/13 9:41 a.m.

In Response To: Re: My thoughts on Halo 4 (Stephen L. (SoundEffect))

: As a general comment, not directed at anyone in particular in this thread or
: otherwise,

: If you have an issue with kids being exposed to nudity or partial nudity but
: are OK with your kids watching violence, then you may want to check your
: priorities in life.
: ...
: Nudity --- > Natural.
: Violence---- > not ok.

First, just want to reiterate what arithmomaniac said - about desensitization effects differing in the real world between violence and sex. Especially in the case of fantasy violence - most of it really is beyond believability; extreme (not gore extreme, just the kind of content one probably won't see in real life in a lifetime), so it's easier to justify the "fantasy violence" *depending on the child of course, which is entirely a judgement call by the parents.

But when it comes to sex, being desensitized can become a downward spiral everyone can suffer from, regardless of age, just in their own thoughts. And in the same way, it depends on the child, what effect those sort of visuals can have on their moral compass (from where they're already at, and where it could take them) in the real world. Nonetheless, for myself in this particular game, I would of course never promote the game to kids, precisely because of the violent and sexualized nature of its content, even in the fantasy setting - there's still a line to be drawn :) However, it's harder for me simply to share or rave about Halo (4) to my general audience, as it were, if the first thing they may find is an all-but completely naked attractive woman. In western culture, depiction of women is still a very strong issue in video games; and Cortana's image simply stood out from the rest of the game's content, based on the bar that was set by previous games.

I do remember when 3 came out and there was a bit of controversy about her appearance being more anatomically correct and visually 'nude'... but while that difference may have been large at the time, I still think the change from 3 to 4 was far more... eye-catching. =/

For someone's who's been immersed in Halo since its birth, I get the character, and love the concept behind the Smart AI choosing their appearance. But for someone who's never been exposed, that's a very bold visual. In a sense you could say the issue goes beyond just the moral perspective on 'violence', and now comes more blatantly at the 'sexuality' perspective as well.

One or both of those may be non-issues to many people. To others, they are. It's just harder to be a raving fan of Halo without feeling like I could offend other friends by directing their attention to the game, or coming off as if I condone something that they consider offensive. I don't like offending people :(

I have had parents ask me if Halo would be a good game for their teens (as in 12-18), an enjoyable game with a great story. But now, in addition to describing the type of (typical) fantasy violence it portrays, I have to add the disclaimer about the realism of Cortana's image (at least compared to previous games), just in case that's a deal breaker.
Regardless of anyone's opinion of violence and nudity in western culture, it is an issue. But the line of acceptability keeps getting moved as controversial choices keep becoming more commonplace (whether pertaining to violence, language, or sexuality).

Anyway, the point remains, Halo is rated M. So... really, it is a personal matter of how and to whom you decide to rave about it. I guess it was just easier for parents to write off the 'fantasy violence' and let their youth play it - but Cortana's popping out more and more (twss) beyond that subject, and raising the bar (twss) of sexual content.

(PS as for the violence, I'd certainly be far more hesitant to rave to my general audience about say COD than Halo, due to the nature of violence; for me, fantasy violence is far more acceptable than real-world, or human/human violence in video games... but that's just my preference. I'm not an advocate of violence, as a whole, by any means)

: Don't want this comment to start a pissing war, just wanted to get that off
: my chest.

Indeed, ditto, it's one of those infamous hot-button topics, about which I can ramble on and on and on... ack! /:)

http://halo.thebruce.net

Message Index

Replies:

My thoughts on Halo 4Rockslider 2/21/13 1:05 p.m.
     Re: Door TroubleSonGoharotto 2/21/13 2:05 p.m.
           Re: Door TroubleRockslider 2/21/13 2:29 p.m.
           Re: Door TroubleDef Guru 7777 2/21/13 5:09 p.m.
     Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Kermit 2/21/13 9:48 p.m.
           Re: My thoughts on Halo 4SonGoharotto 2/21/13 10:10 p.m.
                 Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Def Guru 7777 2/22/13 2:34 a.m.
     Disposable Entertainment after allCody Miller 2/22/13 2:00 a.m.
           Re: Disposable Entertainment after allRockslider 2/22/13 4:23 p.m.
     Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Mirel 2/22/13 6:00 a.m.
     Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/22/13 1:09 p.m.
           Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Quirel 2/22/13 2:13 p.m.
                 Re: My thoughts on Halo 4uberfoop 2/22/13 2:28 p.m.
                 She had a navel in H1Rockslider 2/22/13 7:30 p.m.
                       Re: She had a navel in H1Kermit 2/22/13 7:36 p.m.
                             Re: She had a navel in H1RC Master 2/22/13 9:21 p.m.
                       Re: She had a navel in H1Quirel 2/23/13 5:30 p.m.
                 Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/23/13 10:07 a.m.
           Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Rockslider 2/22/13 3:58 p.m.
                 Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/23/13 11:10 a.m.
                       Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Rockslider 2/23/13 12:02 p.m.
                             Re: My thoughts on Halo 4scarab 2/24/13 5:35 a.m.
                                   Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Rockslider 2/24/13 6:37 a.m.
                                         Re: My thoughts on Halo 4scarab 2/24/13 11:41 a.m.
                                               Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Rockslider 2/24/13 12:24 p.m.
                                   Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/24/13 3:43 p.m.
                                         Re: My thoughts on Halo 4thebruce0 2/25/13 10:04 a.m.
                                               Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/25/13 10:55 a.m.
                                                     Down the rabbit hole...Arithmomaniac 2/25/13 2:20 p.m.
                                                           Re: Down the rabbit hole...General Vagueness 2/25/13 5:34 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Down the rabbit hole...Arithmomaniac 2/26/13 2:58 a.m.
                                                           Re: Down the rabbit hole...General Vagueness 2/25/13 5:36 p.m.
                                                     Re: My thoughts on Halo 4thebruce0 2/26/13 9:41 a.m.
                                                           Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/26/13 3:37 p.m.
                                                                 Re: My thoughts on Halo 4thebruce0 2/26/13 7:51 p.m.
                                                                       Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Kermit 2/26/13 8:37 p.m.
                                                                             I didn't say thatRockslider 2/27/13 6:29 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: I didn't say thatKermit 2/27/13 2:33 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: I didn't say thatKermit 2/27/13 10:17 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: I didn't say thatRockslider 2/28/13 2:19 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I didn't say thatKermit 3/1/13 6:24 p.m.
                                                                       Nicely done!Rockslider 2/27/13 6:49 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Nicely done!thebruce0 2/27/13 8:27 a.m.
                                                                       Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/28/13 4:45 p.m.
                                                                             Re: My thoughts on Halo 4thebruce0 3/1/13 9:43 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 3/1/13 4:16 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: My thoughts on Halo 4thebruce0 3/1/13 5:37 p.m.
                                                     Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Cody Miller 2/27/13 12:02 a.m.
                                                           Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/27/13 5:35 a.m.
                                                                 Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Bry 2/27/13 7:02 a.m.
                                                                       Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/28/13 5:08 p.m.
                                                                 Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Cody Miller 2/27/13 6:58 p.m.
                                                                       Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/27/13 7:06 p.m.
                                                                             Re: My thoughts on Halo 4DEEP NNN 2/27/13 11:01 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Quirel 2/28/13 12:20 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: My thoughts on Halo 4DEEP NNN 2/28/13 7:41 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/28/13 5:20 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Quirel 2/28/13 11:55 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 3/1/13 3:53 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Kermit 3/1/13 6:56 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Cody Miller 3/1/13 1:34 a.m.
                                                                       Re: My thoughts on Halo 4RC Master 2/27/13 7:48 p.m.
                                                                       Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/28/13 5:11 p.m.
                                         Re: My thoughts on Halo 4scarab 2/28/13 5:54 a.m.
                                               Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/28/13 5:25 p.m.
                             Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/24/13 2:56 p.m.
                                   Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Rockslider 2/24/13 3:33 p.m.
                                         Re: My thoughts on Halo 4General Vagueness 2/24/13 4:05 p.m.
                                               Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Rockslider 2/24/13 4:27 p.m.
                 Re: My thoughts on Halo 4uberfoop 2/23/13 12:40 p.m.
                       Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Rockslider 2/23/13 1:28 p.m.
     Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Gravemind 2/22/13 2:43 p.m.
           Re: My thoughts on Halo 4Rockslider 2/22/13 4:20 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.