Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Shield and Sword - The Howling Dark *Long, IMG
Posted By: Nikko B201 <unendingdawn@gmail.com>Date: 3/18/12 6:05 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Shield and Sword - The Howling Dark *Long, IMG (Nikko B201)

: Okay :)

: --------------
: (note- I'm not a composer, so I'm following the time-honoured Halo tradition
: of picking tracks from previous OSTs that sound right >.>
: unfortunately, I don't have the OSTs myself, so I can't string together a
: single track. I'll use YouTube links instead.)

: For the opening, I'm assuming there's some sort of establishing shot (the FUD
: drifting, or a quick pan over the cryotube - this is necessary for the
: track to fit), so I'm going for Wake Me When You Need Me from Halo 3 for
: the start. It's appropriate considering it was the last track of Halo 3
: before the credits. If there's no establishing shot, the first track is
: Remembrance from Halo 2 .

: The armour cinematic is Wage from the Halo 2 Delta Halo Suite , with the
: part around 2:30 covering the Chief doing a dramatic walk out of the work
: area (maybe :D).

: --Got interrupted here, next post in a bit--

--Now running without headphones :( my choices might be a bit dodgy from now on--

As the Chief moves on through the FUD, and encounters the Sentinels, the track is Impend from Halo 2. When the explodey-thing happens, the "scare chord" from when the Scarab blasts the tunnel on the Halo 2 level "Outskirts" is heard.

When the beams break into the hangar, Truth And Reconciliation from Halo Legends starts. The Halo Theme part should cover the fighting, while the string part (after the inital horns) could cover a short semi-cutscene (perhaps a HUD-less forced-look) where the Enforcers enter the hangar.

When the Chief jumps and activates the thrusters, the track is The Last Spartan from Halo 2. After that ends, the space combat is covered by Cloaked In Blackness from Halo Combat Evolved: Anniversary.

In the umbilical and tunnels, it's Halo 2 again with Heavy Price Paid, and HCE:A again with Arborea Above. The Enforcer fight is One Final Effort from Halo 3 (the Extended in the title is because the start of the track was accidentally cut when it was uploaded the first time - this isn't a modified version).

-----------Summary & notes-----------
I wanted to use a lot of recognizable music from the Chief Halos, to remind players that we're back with John now, not Six, the Rookie, or Red Team...which is why the space combat section isn't Tip of the Spear, which would have fit quite nicely now I think about it. Halo 2 turned out to be the main source of appropriate tracks for this, thanks to the Delta Halo themes.

- I chose the Halo Legends version of Truth And Reconciliation over the HCE version because it's a bit shorter: the original featured two versions of the Halo Theme and some extra Flood-y bits, neither of which were needed here.

- All these tracks would obviously be remixed a bit in the actual level, rather than straight copies of the originals. I'm just using the originals because I have absolutely no ability to remix anything.

- I'm worried Cloaked In Blackness doesn't fit well with the space combat. I couldn't think of anything else quiet and spacey that I hadn't used elsewhere. Can anyone think of a better fit for this part?

-Whew- I think that's my longest post here ever :O now to wait and see which bits I got horribly wrong =) please don't hesitate to tell me about them!

We fire the WHOLE bullet!

Message Index

Replies:

Shield and Sword - The Howling Dark *Long, IMGs*Leviathan 3/9/12 6:31 p.m.
     *Jaw drops* *NM*Daedalos42 3/9/12 6:37 p.m.
           Let's not do thisJDQuackers 3/9/12 8:02 p.m.
     Leviathan, you genius! *NM*BWO Lone Wolf 3/9/12 6:41 p.m.
     Spectacular as usual, Levi. *NM*ElzarTheBam 3/9/12 6:45 p.m.
     Wonga. *NM*Louis Wu 3/9/12 6:51 p.m.
     I have to ask...Mid7night 3/9/12 7:00 p.m.
           Re: I have to ask...Leviathan 3/9/12 11:06 p.m.
     Cue Applause *NM*Phoenix_9286 3/9/12 7:06 p.m.
     halo4_leaked_concept_art.jpgkanbo 3/9/12 7:11 p.m.
           Re: halo4_leaked_concept_art.jpgLeviathan 3/9/12 11:14 p.m.
                 Key word being "try"The Lionheart 3/10/12 1:08 a.m.
           I called itGeneral Vagueness 3/16/12 12:40 a.m.
                 oh, and I really like this part of the projectGeneral Vagueness 3/16/12 12:45 a.m.
                 Not what I said...Mid7night 3/16/12 9:28 a.m.
                       Re: Not what I said...General Vagueness 3/16/12 7:52 p.m.
     Nice work, thanks *NM*RVideo 3/9/12 7:15 p.m.
     Re: Shield and Sword - The Howling Dark *Long, IMGKermit 3/9/12 7:30 p.m.
           Re: Shield and Sword - The Howling Dark *Long, IMGLeviathan 3/9/12 11:12 p.m.
                 Re: Shield and Sword - The Howling Dark *Long, IMGCaneCutter 3/10/12 9:41 a.m.
     343, hire this manmattroe 3/9/12 9:01 p.m.
           Agreed *NM*BWO Lone Wolf 3/10/12 1:25 p.m.
     Submitting this to CWF under the Win category *NM*The Lionheart 3/10/12 1:05 a.m.
           ... Canadian... Wildlife Federation? *NM*Leviathan 3/10/12 1:46 a.m.
                 CUTE! WIN! FAIL!The Lionheart 3/10/12 11:07 a.m.
     Re: Shield and Sword - The Howling Dark *Long, IMGSEspider 3/10/12 3:41 a.m.
     Re: Shield and Sword - The Howling Dark *Long, IMGBeckx 3/10/12 9:34 a.m.
           Re: Shield and Sword - The Howling Dark *Long, IMGLeviathan 3/10/12 11:47 a.m.
                 Re: Shield and Sword - The Howling Dark *Long, IMGKermit 3/10/12 12:02 p.m.
                 Re: Shield and Sword - The Howling Dark *Long, IMGPyroSporker16 3/11/12 1:18 p.m.
     Re: Shield and Sword - The Howling Dark *Long, IMGSonofMacPhisto 3/10/12 9:40 a.m.
     Wowie Wowsers.padraig08 3/11/12 3:43 a.m.
           Re: Wowie Wowsers.Leviathan 3/11/12 3:53 a.m.
                 Re: Wowie Wowsers.Kermit 3/11/12 10:13 a.m.
                       He got it.padraig08 3/11/12 4:08 p.m.
     Re: Shield and Sword - The Howling Dark *Long, IMGZeouterlimits 3/11/12 11:12 a.m.
     Re: Shield and Sword - The Howling Dark *Long, IMGNikko B201 3/17/12 6:16 p.m.
           Re: Shield and Sword - The Howling Dark *Long, IMGLeviathan 3/17/12 11:19 p.m.
                 Re: Shield and Sword - The Howling Dark *Long, IMGNikko B201 3/18/12 5:13 p.m.
                       Re: Shield and Sword - The Howling Dark *Long, IMGNikko B201 3/18/12 6:05 p.m.
                             *Edit*Nikko B201 3/20/12 6:13 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.