glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo AI: has it progressed? Where could it go?
Posted By: RocksliderDate: 11/3/11 5:20 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Halo AI: has it progressed? Where could it go? (scarab)

I didn't see any need to break things up into separate posts, but here's a bit of response to the combined result.

: I knew when they were afraid and had advance warning of a switch to the offensive.

But in regard to exchanges such as "Back me up" / "I'm with you" - which were certainly welcome and amusing - I think those were often cosmetic. For example, in AOTCR where Grunts and Jackals wait in a long passage after the first of the twin bridges, you get such exchanges if you wait back around the corner, but it doesn't mean they're coming after you. On the other hand, I've also heard that exchange as Grunts creep up unseen towards the plateau in the rockslide megabattle; so there's some advancing there at least.

: Because, after all, the AI is just a clumsy collection of code that doesn't
: think. But through a process of smoke and mirrors manages to convince us
: that we are fighting "people" and anything that can help this
: will improve gameplay for campaign players.

It's certainly important for me. Basically I want to be able to forget about the videogame nature of things as far as I reasonably can, to be immersed in a virtual reality. I don't want things to keep breaking my belief in the NPCs as beings. Of course, AI shortcomings don't help, but to some extent it's possible to interpret those as forms of stupidity in the beings, even if it's stretching credibility somewhat.

: The fact that Halo NPCs never look at each other undermines any notion that
: they are thinking beings.

I don't really agree with this in regard to combat situations. In battle I wouldn't expect allied combatants to be looking at each other to any significant degree. Better to keep an eye on the enemy I think! Communication can occur nevertheless. Glances could make for a small refinement of the simulation, but I don't think it would add significantly to my experience - so I think it would be way down on my list of possible improvements.

Bad Cyborg

Message Index

Replies:

Halo AI: has it progressed? Where could it go?scarab 11/1/11 7:16 a.m.
     Re: Halo AI: has it progressed? Where could it go?scarab 11/1/11 7:36 a.m.
           Re: Halo AI: has it progressed? Where could it go?davidfuchs 11/1/11 8:55 a.m.
                 Re: Halo AI: has it progressed? Where could it go?scarab 11/1/11 10:07 a.m.
                       I thought of somethingscarab 11/1/11 10:52 a.m.
                             That's actually pretty good!ZackDark 11/1/11 8:14 p.m.
                             Re: I thought of somethingQuirel 11/1/11 11:46 p.m.
                                   Re: I thought of somethingscarab 11/2/11 4:04 a.m.
                       Re: Halo AI: has it progressed? Where could it go?General Vagueness 11/1/11 5:47 p.m.
           Re: Halo AI: has it progressed? Where could it go?Rockslider 11/3/11 5:20 p.m.
     AI: What games currently set the benchmark? *NM*Beckx 11/1/11 11:33 a.m.
           Re: AI: What games currently set the benchmark?scarab 11/1/11 5:57 p.m.
                 Re: AI: What games currently set the benchmark?SonofMacPhisto 11/1/11 7:41 p.m.
                       Re: AI: What games currently set the benchmark?scarab 11/2/11 4:23 a.m.
                             Re: AI: What games currently set the benchmark?SonofMacPhisto 11/2/11 2:01 p.m.
                                   Re: AI: What games currently set the benchmark?scarab 11/3/11 2:40 a.m.
                 Re: AI: What games currently set the benchmark?Beckx 11/2/11 2:24 p.m.
                       Re: AI: What games currently set the benchmark?scarab 11/3/11 2:35 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.