Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Breaching Bungie's Barriers *IMGs*
Posted By: BlueNinja <kennethdemuyt@msn.com>Date: 1/3/11 1:24 p.m.

As you all know, I love using the pan-cam. I love seeing everything Bungie places in their levels, and learning. I'll probably never become a designer myself, but as an aspiring writer, it can't hurt to know some of this stuff. I mostly just do it for fun: exploring is awesome, after all.

And, as some of you may know, the pan-cam was kind of neutered in Reach. Its speed was severely limited, and it could no longer breach the secondary set of barriers Bungie put up around the map.

Until today.

I was flying around on the level 'Exodus', when I happened upon this little piece of architecture:

CutsceneLocation

As you may recognize, this is a piece of cutscene geometry. In the opening cutscene for the game, you see Noble Six walking up this hill, and looking out over New Alexandria.

CutsceneLocation2

This tiny piece of detail among a vast sea of low-res made me remember the way cutscene-specific areas are always hidden somewhere in the level. But, sadly, I also remembered the pan-cam doesn't allow you to go out that far.

Exodus, however, offered me a loophole. While I was trying my best to break through the outer barriers, I noticed the bottom barrier was missing. I flew underneath the map, and then proceeded to the outer walls. Before I knew it, I was looking out over the whole of Exodus. Or at least, the part of Exodus the game still rendered that far out.

CutoffPancam

MysteryDome

I stumbled across an interesting 'dome' underneath the playable area. At first, I thought the level's opening cutscene took place inside, but I found nothing.

However, the pan-cam coordinates, as we all know, are more than just screen clutter. I restarted the level and wrote down the coordinates for the opening cutscene. I then pulled up a helpful guide, and before I knew it, I was manipulating the numbers and flying underneath the map again. The moment I neared the coordinates I'd written down, I noticed a sliver of black in the corner of my screen. I turned, flew towards it, and huzzah!

MoonRock

As I pondered this moon-like landscape, I wondered: "but where's that awesome backdrop?"
The moment I looked up, my question was answered. Huzzah indeed.

CrashSite

FromtheSurface

And even though I haven't made a panorama in months, I just couldn't resist. I'm not going to put this one up on Views from the Edge, so it's an HBO (and GAF) exclusive for the time being.

CrashSite-1

As is the case with all great explorers, however, my journey is far from done. I will now travel to the far reaches of Lone Wolf, Long Night of Solace, New Alexandria and the Pillar of Autumn, and hopefully find something worth sharing with you guys.

Enjoy the pretty pictures!

Message Index

Replies:

Breaching Bungie's Barriers *IMGs*BlueNinja 1/3/11 1:24 p.m.
     Re: Breaching Bungie's Barriers *IMGs*Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) 1/3/11 1:38 p.m.
     Re: Breaching Bungie's Barriers *IMGs*Bry 1/3/11 1:57 p.m.
           Re: Breaching Bungie's Barriers *IMGs*BlueNinja 1/3/11 2:02 p.m.
     Re: Breaching Bungie's Barriers *IMGs*Decommissioner 1/3/11 2:12 p.m.
     Here is a neat trick...Hyokin 1/3/11 2:29 p.m.
           Re: Here is a neat trick...BlueNinja 1/3/11 2:43 p.m.
                 Re: Here is a neat trick...Hyokin 1/3/11 2:49 p.m.
     Re: Breaching Bungie's Barriers *IMGs*Aglor 1/3/11 2:32 p.m.
     Could anybody test this?BlueNinja 1/3/11 2:47 p.m.
           When do you enter the wompa stompa code? *NM* *NM*Hikaru-119 1/3/11 4:48 p.m.
                 Wow, that brings back memories. *NM*The Loot 1/3/11 4:58 p.m.
     Re: Breaching Bungie's Barriers *IMGs*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/3/11 2:52 p.m.
           Re: Breaching Bungie's Barriers *IMGs*BlueNinja 1/3/11 3:23 p.m.
                 Re: Breaching Bungie's Barriers *IMGs*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/3/11 7:01 p.m.
     Re: Breaching Bungie's Barriers *IMGs*Ducain 1/4/11 9:12 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.