Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: The Library aint so bad
Posted By: scarabDate: 3/1/06 7:54 a.m.

In Response To: Re: The Library aint so bad (Narcogen)

: You're getting ahead of me-- there's a feature in the pipes about just this
: question. :-)

I thought there might be :)

: I have plenty of fun doing that. Then again, Halo is an action game, not a
: tactical game, I suppose.

Point is that you have the choice when there are no Covie snipers. Snipers can not be ignored and must be taken out first. They dominate any area. Its worse if they arrive in waves.

Its almost always fatal to jump when there are snipers around. Jinking from side to side throws them off but I think there is special code to punish jumping.

Last night a Red sent a stream of needles my way. I jumped towards him, avoiding most of the needles, gave him a blast from my shottie in mid air, and meleed him as I landed. If there had been a Jackal anywhere in range then my brain pan would have been flash fried as soon as my foot left the ground. GRRR!! that makes game play more, pedestrian :)

: Now that you mention it, you have a point. I also have had problems doing
: that, but I figured it was just because I suck. However, I can see where
: this is a problem that exists because of the limitations of the
: interface--namely, no peripheral vision.

Yup plus the size of the arcs going from horizon to horizon, vert sensitivity has to be as high or higher than horz, hence less accurate aiming. To track from 12 o'clock to six involves pan up, rotate 180 degrees, pan down. And you can't actually point straight up.

And there is less cover in the sky, so no dodging behind sky-crates to reduce exposure. :)

Bungie limited Drones to: ambush attacks, with cover nearby, long distance flying, or gave you allies to fight them in corridors. Or they hide in the walls to give you a chance to hit them. Its just like on easy setting. The npcs try not to shoot you and try to let you shoot them.

If Bungie wanted to be cruel then Drone swarms could be insanely leathal.

: They don't have as much
: personality in combat. The "berserking" thing I thought was used
: too often-- and not particularly unique anyway, as lone Hunters have a
: certain tendency to display similar behavior once the other in the pair
: has been killed.

Its a steal from Halo Elite behaviour. They used to berserk when low on health. It made them doubly dangerous. Removed in H2 and given to Brutes.

: Well, it may just be that the next bit of fighting for the Chief is against
: forces that haven't split yet.

I hope so. A fps needs great enemies. You do the fighting. Having kick-ass allies just means there is less for you to do.

: I suppose there could be other Covenant races, too

Maybe the Prophet race has kick-ass warriors. We shouldn't judge them from their religious leaders. The Pope and the Archbishop of Canterbury don't inspire terror as warriors but the Knights Templar are a different story. Remember the mural that showed a Prophet species warrior and an Elite fighting toe to toe?

: It seems to me, though, that Bungie went out of the way to ensure you are
: never shooting humans in the game-- even when you're the Arbiter, your
: only targets are Flood or other Covenant, and never humans. So I don't
: think they're ever going to do it.

True and its probably a good idea to avoid having the Chief kill Humans.

I know that the Arbiter is the Elite's Christ figure. We saw him crucified at the beginning of H2. So he will probably give his life to redeem his race.

But. I'm not sure if I want to see him redeemed. I always saw him as self centered and self serving. And his actions to date can be seen as merely expedient.

Would his religion survive knowing that Humans were Forerunner descendants? (Assuming for the sake of argument that we are). If he saw that his Gods had feet of clay then he may not be inclined to worship us.

The Covenant is broken, his Gods dethroned, every race pitted against the other, and possession of the Ark may promise power. He may be tempted to seize it for the good of his own race.

Message Index

Replies:

The Library aint so badSlimby 2/27/06 7:42 p.m.
     Yes it is!!!Peronthious 2/27/06 8:09 p.m.
           Re: Yes it is!!!Ibeechu 2/27/06 8:20 p.m.
                 Re: Yes it is!!!Spartan Jag 2/27/06 9:23 p.m.
                       Re: Yes it is!!!Slimby 2/27/06 9:26 p.m.
                       Re: Yes it is!!!Ename Nep 2/27/06 9:27 p.m.
                             truth:bentrider 2/27/06 10:02 p.m.
     Re: The Library aint so badnero 2/27/06 8:53 p.m.
           Re: The Library aint so badSlith 2/27/06 10:47 p.m.
     For anybody who wants to have some fun:downrodeo 2/27/06 10:59 p.m.
     Re: The Library aint so badNarcogen 2/28/06 12:51 a.m.
           Re: The Library aint so badSlimby 2/28/06 1:15 a.m.
                 Re: The Library aint so badNarcogen 2/28/06 1:54 a.m.
                       Re: The Library aint so badscarab 2/28/06 7:39 a.m.
                             Re: The Library aint so badNarcogen 3/1/06 2:39 a.m.
                                   Re: The Library aint so badscarab 3/1/06 7:54 a.m.
                                         Re: The Library aint so badMa1agate 3/1/06 3:41 p.m.
                                               Re: The Library aint so badscarab 3/1/06 4:49 p.m.
                                                     Re: The Library aint so badSpartan Jag 3/1/06 4:51 p.m.
                                                           The odd couplescarab 3/1/06 5:00 p.m.
                                                                 The Motley Crewscarab 3/1/06 5:38 p.m.
                                                     Flashbackscarab 3/1/06 4:57 p.m.
                                                     Re: The Library aint so badMa1agate 3/2/06 7:53 a.m.
           Re: The Library aint so badMa1agate 2/28/06 10:25 a.m.
     I like itscarab 2/28/06 1:28 a.m.
           Me too but I use the pistolRockslider 2/28/06 3:35 p.m.
                 Re: Me too but I use the pistolLoneRanger 2.5 2/28/06 6:15 p.m.
                 Re: Me too but I use the pistolscarab 3/1/06 10:43 a.m.
     Re: The Library aint so badmike miller 2/28/06 4:33 p.m.
     An older Library threadRockslider 2/28/06 4:55 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.