| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

Re: Let's talk about Dial #6!

Posted By: Mav <web_tester226@yahoo.com>
Date: 4 June 2001, 16:07

In Response To: Re: Let's talk about Dial #6! (Tursas)

[double snip ; )]

> It could also represent the roman numeral of 100.

---That's true, but I'm going to assume everything that the puzzle people did was deliberate. If that's the case, I'll make a somewhat risky assumption and favor the speed of light constant (which does round out to a very nice 3 x 10^5 km/s) since that constant is always expressed as a lower-case symbol. I've never seen lower-case "c" used as 100, though I guess it might be possible. Given that the "e" symbol is obviously lower-case, and "c" looks based on the same case-type (it's the same height as the "e"), I'll guess "c" was also intended as lower-case, so I'm still thinkin' it's the speed of light.

(Glad you agree about the "e," btw : P.)

> There has been some discussion about this and it is my belief that it is
> chinese/japanese for the number 8.

---Hmm. It sorta seemed that way to me, too. But you know, it does and it doesn't. It's problematic because the puzzle is so small, and detail might necessarily need to be sacrificed (though...the symbol in dial #5 looks pretty nice : P). Here's the kicker for me. If you strain your eyes to look at that symbol (ehheh), you'll find what seems to be an arrow pointing upward on the right-side rising curve (the "line" that rises up to the left). I also see an arrow-like shape, but smaller, on the curve to the left which rises up to the right. This very strongly reminds me of some type of more complex math graph. Any people who're good with calculus around here?!? = )

(It'd be helpful, of course, hint hint ; ), if someone would step in and clarify the ambiguity for us!)

> You're correct. It is held by many that this number is sumerian (or
> babylonian, can't remember which) for 14.

---Ooh, really? Cool, thanks. Got a link I can look at, though?

> The problem now is to figure out what the big plus sign in the center
> represents. I think it's some kind of operator, but I have no idea what
> kind of operator.

---Yeah. Mysteries abound : P.

--Mav

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

Bungie Fanfest Board is maintained by with WebBBS 3.21.