/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Total Carnage bug or feature?
Posted By: Dr. John SumnerDate: 8/2/13 5:20 a.m.

In Response To: Total Carnage bug or feature? (Godot)

In an ideal world, I would have Aleph One Marathon be exactly like the original. Reproduce every bug, oddity, quirkiness, advantage, disadvantage the game has to offer. That's the way is was produced whether Bungie intended it or not. That is the game I grew up with.

Having said that, I realize I am living in a dream world and some of this is not possible short of acquiring the M1 source code. Still I would love for the final product to be as close to the original as feasibly possible.

There are certain things you mention Hamish that I confess greatly affect my game play. The one that most comes to mind is being able to use almost all of the ammo in your current AR and then pick up another AR lying around, receive a fully restocked AR and *not* have your ammo count change. I make use of that many times throughout the game in a very coordinated strategic way. For someone who could care less about ammo counts, and utilizes a strategy of blasting away at everything probably wouldn't care to preserve this bug. But I would.

The other of course is the unfortunate ability to pick up multiple Alien weapons. It would be nice if that was not part of the game. But it is. And as bad as it is, it does provide an interesting facet of the game that wouldn't be there otherwise. It forces the player to think carefully about how and where to fight the Enforcers.

Of course, I appreciate all that treellama et al. are doing to preserve the ability to play Marathon. Without their tireless, thankless efforts, we'd lose one of the best computer games out there.

John

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Total Carnage bug or feature?Godot 8/2/13 2:42 a.m.
     Re: Total Carnage bug or feature?Dr. John Sumner 8/2/13 5:20 a.m.
     Re: Total Carnage bug or feature?Antarctico 8/2/13 10:36 a.m.
           Re: Total Carnage bug or feature?Godot 8/3/13 3:14 a.m.
                 Re: Total Carnage bug or feature?treellama 8/3/13 4:56 a.m.
                       Re: Total Carnage bug or feature?Godot 8/3/13 5:13 a.m.
                             Re: Total Carnage bug or feature?treellama 8/3/13 6:55 a.m.
                                   Re: Total Carnage bug or feature?Godot 8/3/13 6:57 a.m.
                                   Re: Total Carnage bug or feature?Dr. John Sumner 8/3/13 10:22 a.m.
                       Re: Total Carnage bug or feature?Antarctico 8/3/13 9:06 a.m.
     Re: Total Carnage bug or feature?Document 8/6/13 2:59 p.m.
           Re: Total Carnage bug or feature?PerseusSpartacus 8/6/13 7:01 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.