/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: A note on wasps
Posted By: PhiltronDate: 1/27/17 6:09 p.m.

In Response To: Re: A note on wasps (VikingBoyBilly)

: They have internal skeletons. If anything, that makes them closer to
: vertebrates than arthropods. They definitely have a skull, at least, but I
: don't think there's any conclusive evidence they have a spine, although
: their body shape would suggest a central set of bones that each of their
: members are connected at (literally it's muscles holding the bones
: together (if they even have muscles), but you know what I mean).

They don't have endoskeletons. They have chitinous exoskeletons. So, that makes them closer to arthropods.

I know there's a terminal picture on Feel the Noise that shows a swordl sticking in a pile of Pfhor skulls, but I think that image is meant to be more symbolic than a literal representation of reality.

There's also one or two scenery sprites that might be Pfhor skeletons, but I feel like that might be more artistic license than narrative canon when standing alongside explicit mentions of the Pfhor being "insects"** and having "chitin"*.

"To [sic] bad he's most likely lying in that pile of chitin and fluids cooling on the floor behind you." Things What Kick, Marathon 2

"Bugs are so obedient." Rise Robot Rise, Marathon: Infinity
"You're looking at the bug fleet's resident expert in AI counter-insurgency." Rise Robot Rise
"...leads me to believe that Tycho is in league with the bugs." Where Some Rarely Go
"As you can see, the bugs didn't like being robbed of their prize." By Committee

And yes, I did notice that the explicit mentions of the Pfhor being called "bugs" happen only in Marathon Infinity.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

A note on waspsLion O Cyborg 1/26/17 1:36 a.m.
     Re: A note on waspsGeneral-RADIX 1/26/17 2:29 a.m.
           Re: A note on waspsLion O Cyborg 1/26/17 6:32 a.m.
                 Re: A note on waspsPhiltron 1/26/17 12:45 p.m.
                       Re: A note on waspsPhiltron 1/26/17 12:49 p.m.
                             Re: A note on waspsForrest of B.org 1/26/17 2:39 p.m.
                                   Re: A note on waspsPhiltron 1/27/17 7:53 a.m.
                       Re: A note on waspsVikingBoyBilly 1/26/17 4:46 p.m.
                             Re: A note on waspsPhiltron 1/27/17 7:47 a.m.
                                   Re: A note on waspsVikingBoyBilly 1/27/17 12:44 p.m.
                                         Re: A note on waspsPhiltron 1/27/17 6:09 p.m.
                                               Re: A note on waspsVikingBoyBilly 1/28/17 2:51 a.m.
                                                     Re: A note on waspsForrest of B.org 1/28/17 8:26 a.m.
                                                           Re: A note on waspsBob-B-Q 1/28/17 10:26 a.m.
                                                           Re: A note on waspsPhiltron 1/28/17 1:05 p.m.
                                                     Re: A note on waspsPhiltron 1/28/17 1:04 p.m.
                                         Re: A note on waspsYossarian 1/29/17 2:27 a.m.
                                               Re: A note on waspsPhiltron 1/29/17 1:41 p.m.
                                                     Re: A note on waspsYossarian 1/30/17 12:55 a.m.
                                                     Re: A note on waspsVikingBoyBilly 1/30/17 12:13 p.m.
                                                           Re: A note on waspsPhiltron 1/30/17 5:52 p.m.
                                                                 Re: A note on waspsGeneral-RADIX 1/31/17 4:28 a.m.
                                                                       Re: A note on waspsLion O Cyborg 1/31/17 8:20 a.m.
                             Re: A note on waspsLion O Cyborg 1/28/17 3:20 a.m.
                       Re: A note on waspsLion O Cyborg 1/28/17 3:01 a.m.
                             Re: A note on waspsVikingBoyBilly 1/28/17 12:19 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.