/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Tour of Duty - Nuke and Pave
Posted By: MartinDate: 8/22/13 4:02 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Tour of Duty - Nuke and Pave (FiddlerOnARoof)

: If I may offer one piece of constructive criticism, the writeups are far too
: taxing on my spatial visualization capabilities. It's "now turn left,
: look up this ledge, go right, etc." Out of the entire trilogy, I
: certainly remember Marathon 2 the best, but I'm still having trouble
: following these writeups, and usually just don't bother.

I guess it comes down to figuring out why we are undertaking this series. From the start I felt that it was closely tied to the real experience of playing the game. PS's early posts made me want to play M1 again, and so I did ... and then M2, Infinity and half of Tempus Irae before I got into posting as well and had to revise M1 again :).

For my part I am spending a good amount of time replaying each level I write up, as I write it up, and the intention is to comment on just about everything about which one could comment - pooling all of the information, speculation and humour in one place. To me the posts read as though one is playing, and so to get the most out of it, it is probably necessary to have played more recently. As I have, I don't have any problem keeping up with PS's content, for instance.

It will be interesting to see what the rampancy guys have to say when they start using the guides more. With luck it will guide them to discover all the secrets and possibly not die as much :).

: Out of my years of trying to write stuff and present things, the one enduring
: lesson I've learned (and am still learning) is the limited capability of
: people to process information and keep attention. You need keep it simple
: and non-taxing to the brain as possible, while still keeping the essence
: of what you want to say. If you really want to present detail, then you
: need to be entertaining and engaging. Writing/presenting well is hard.

My hope is that people will contribute their own thoughts, much like happened in Volunteers; I have certainly learnt things from both series, including repeated readings of Volunteers over the years (especially Infinity). To me these posts stand like that as well, to be enjoyed (endured?) over a long period of time - perhaps next you play some of the content will come back to you, some of our interpretation maybe, or something you see differently. Of course if it was happening concurrently, it would work better in such a forum environment, but that isn't so realistic for busy real life people :).

As for presenting well, and being entertaining, I feel we have been pretty entertaining where it makes sense to be, but it is not my general intention. Getting the technical details down is priority, even if people end up skimming/skipping. Perhaps we can put indicators where the boring parts start and end :)?

Thanks. I'd be interested to hear PS's take on this vis a vis his ideas behind what ToD means in all of this! And see, even a post like this ends up long-winded ... so strange, in real life I'm pretty concise!

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Tour of Duty - Nuke and PavePerseusSpartacus 8/21/13 10:54 a.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty - Nuke and PaveMartin 8/21/13 1:51 p.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty - Nuke and PavePerseusSpartacus 8/21/13 3:25 p.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty - Nuke and PaveMartin 8/21/13 4:27 p.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty - Nuke and PavePerseusSpartacus 8/21/13 6:47 p.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty - Nuke and PaveFiddlerOnARoof 8/21/13 8:16 p.m.
                                   Re: Tour of Duty - Nuke and PaveMartin 8/22/13 4:02 a.m.
                                         Re: Tour of Duty - Nuke and PaveAntarctico 8/23/13 11:46 p.m.
                                               Re: Tour of Duty - Nuke and PaveVikingBoyBilly 11/4/13 3:53 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.