/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*
Posted By: PerseusSpartacusDate: 8/13/13 6:00 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG* (Martin)

: Water you're okay with, phew :). Now to wait for a few levels and see if
: you've changed your mind about lava!

Water is awesome - it both makes sense and has a nice implementation.

Lava also makes sense for many of the places we find it in (What About Bob, Six Thousand Feet Under), but the implementation is still sucky, even if it's a bit better than M1. Sometimes it doesn't even make sense in terms of placement (The Hard Stuff Rules being the worst offender in that regard).

: The BoBs wipe out the Fighters easily even on TC here.

Interesting. In my recollection of Vidmastering this level (yes, it and The Big House are the only levels I've managed to Vidmaster, though the latter is just plain easy on any difficulty), I seem to recall that the BoBs would deal massive damage, but eventually get killed off when the Fighters get close enough. On the other hand, I may have just killed one or two of them myself, thereby weakening them to the point that the Fighters could finish the job - I'm real friendly like that, you know. ;)

: Okay that answers that question! I'd get you to have a look at your map for
: Ex Cathedra in advance - there's a 2x charger marked as a 1x, a 1x charger
: not marked at all, and a few letter indicators that aren't really all that
: interesting - oxygen refills? :)

I can't really remember exactly all the reasons I put those letter annotations down, but yes, a few of them are probably for oxygen tanks and/or ammo stashes. As for the mis-marked (is that the word?) chargers, I was probably going by the Spoiler Guide for this level, especially considering that I don't particularly enjoy it. Of course, the natural result is that any mistakes made by the Spoiler Guide (and by god there are a lot of mistakes!) end up getting recreated in my own maps. At some point I'll probably get around to fixing things; thanks.

: I was thinking of them as a cross between wasps and MADDs - after all, we do
: get some that are on our side in a little while :). Also - on Ex Cathedra
: there's a PICT about them: "Security/Defense Remote Units". I'm
: not sure if the text on that one has been deciphered; I can only ever make
: out a few words in those damned things.

Good point. Hadn't thought about that, but now that you mention it, it sure does make sense.

: Yeah that is true to an extent. As regards puzzles, a lot of it is just
: because Durandal holds our hand much more in this game. As for the
: difficulty, right near the start you find out that the new magnum can stop
: a Major Fighter from hitting you at all, even on TC - compare this with
: the madness that is the introduction to M1 on TC!

Some day I'll try to Vidmaster Arrival, and die horribly - over and over.

: I move we grenade ourselves up to point C on the map first, and collect the
: ammo through the secret door to the room to where it seems all secrets
: lead.

AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!

I meant to show that, but totally forgot. Indeed, I specifically put point C there just for that secret, but all my memories got lost in time, like Tears in Rain. ;)

If I remember, Jim Mitchell's vid film of this level showed him reaching point C without even using a grenade; he just jumps straight down from the terminal and somehow reaches it. I haven't been able to duplicate this, but I'll keep trying.

: Okay I'll post my script for Slings & Arrows in a day or two :).

Goody. Can't wait.

Vale,
Perseus

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*PerseusSpartacus 8/12/13 8:48 p.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*Martin 8/13/13 3:31 a.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*Godot 8/13/13 4:39 a.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*Antarctico 8/13/13 5:06 a.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*PerseusSpartacus 8/13/13 6:06 a.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*Antarctico 8/13/13 6:22 a.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*PerseusSpartacus 8/13/13 6:32 a.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*Martin 8/13/13 11:52 a.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*PerseusSpartacus 8/13/13 6:00 a.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*treellama 8/13/13 3:54 a.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*Godot 8/13/13 4:43 a.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*Antarctico 8/13/13 5:09 a.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*Godot 8/13/13 6:02 a.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*treellama 8/13/13 6:10 a.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*Godot 8/13/13 6:35 a.m.
                                   Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*PerseusSpartacus 8/13/13 6:41 a.m.
                                         Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*Godot 8/13/13 7:26 a.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*Jabberwok 8/13/13 7:29 a.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*PerseusSpartacus 8/13/13 8:28 a.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*PerseusSpartacus 8/13/13 8:31 a.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*treellama 8/13/13 8:33 a.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*PerseusSpartacus 8/14/13 10:18 a.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*Godot 8/14/13 11:03 a.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*PerseusSpartacus 8/14/13 12:01 p.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*Godot 8/13/13 11:00 a.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*jonny 8/13/13 11:16 a.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty - Waterloo Waterpark *LONG*Godot 8/13/13 11:22 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.