Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

My wife the investigative reporter...
Posted By: Miguel Chavez <bs@bungie.org>Date: 3/10/02 12:19 p.m.

Claude, Mahlon and myself left Friday afternoon on a 5 hour drive to Altoona, PA. We were on our way to play for almost 17 hours of non-stop Halo action at Brian/Ars-Isulder's "End of Chemo Halo Party" More about that in a future post.

Anyway, no later than 30 minutes after hitting the road my cell phone rings. My lovely wife Frieda is calling to fill me in on something. And folks, this is a perfect example of when you know you've found the perfect mate.

It seems right after we left, she checked our mailbox and found the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly. The one with country singer Alan Jackson on the cover. As she was flipping through the pages, what did she find? A mention of Halo. But not just any old mention of Halo. A special kind that's been a long time coming. Phase 2 of the Bungie plan for World Domination is picking up steam folks!

A scan of this small blurb will be posted soon, once the issue is no longer on the newstands, as per the laws of BORG. (I've sent Louis Wu the scans) The accompanying graphic is really cute, with a nice cartoony rendition of folks playing Halo and a bunch of MC's running around in a TV. From the looks of the image, I'd say it's a rendition of the map Hang 'em High. ;-)

In the meantime, here's a copy/paste of the text. This is in EW's "Scout" section, where they highlight 'new and cool' things:

GAME BOYS

This Saturday, a dozen guys are going to waste each other. No, it's not a local fight club, but the latest in macho tech: a Halo Party. Played with the alien-splattering videogame Halo, Xbox's best seller, the parties involve up to 16 people simultaneously connected to four Xbox game consoles (with system link cables). Players team up for carnage-filled rounds of virtual games like Capture the Flag or Slayer. The thrill? "You hear the agony of the person you just killed," says Sega.com design manager Josh Milligan, who powered up the effects for a recent gathering by hooking the Xboxes to projectors and plugging the game into the surround-sound systems. "I have a ton of friends who are asking about the next [party]." - Noah Robischon

How amazing is it to see that not the game per se, but the EVENTS SURROUNDING THE GAME are being highlighted in a weekly entertainment magazine, read by millions of folks around the country? When Matt heard about this article he was ecstatic. And why not? We all knew Halo was going to kick ass long ago, right folks? :-)

Kudos to Bungie, of course, for making this game all that it is. After our experience these past 2 days, Claude and I are absolutely in awe of the amount of fun you can get out one $50 piece of DVD-ROM. The Halo parties will not die down anytime soon.

I wish they had gotten a quote from some other folks, as I think there's more to the Halo parties then just hearing 'the agony of the person you just killed.' I know how these small blurb pieces are put together though, so more than likely he DID say something more meaningful but in the interests of wordspace and getting the most bang in the article, they picked only that quote. And yes, I'm aware that the system link cable thing is incorrect.

In closing, another sign that you have found the perfect mate: When completely out of the blue she asks, "Honey, when are you going to throw your own Halo party?" Soon, very soon. :-)

And one last thing: Brian, you, your brother, and your folks absolutely ROCK! I had the BEST time.

Message Index

Replies:

My wife the investigative reporter...Miguel Chavez 3/10/02 12:19 p.m.
     Re: Soon(tm) eh?... I'll be there! :) *NM*Lophan 3/10/02 1:37 p.m.
     Hey*Ar-Isildur of *WP* 3/10/02 1:45 p.m.
     Re: My wife the investigative reporter...Louis Wu 3/10/02 3:24 p.m.
     this makes it all worthwhilebutcher 3/10/02 4:39 p.m.
           Re: this makes it all worthwhileLouis Wu 3/10/02 7:45 p.m.
     Brian's Party - Webcam!!Miguel Chavez 3/11/02 3:46 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.