Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

lol - AI follies *minor sp*
Posted By: Louis Wu <halo@bungie.org>Date: 1/26/02 9:16 a.m.

Heh, dunno that I'd ever see this on my own... the advantage of miniature beta testers.

My son is playing through Halo on his own right now (we co-oped Heroic, but I carried him - now he's playing at Easy, and doing fine. He's 7, if anyone cares, and picked up his first videogame ever a bit over a year ago.)

He was on the first bridge on Assault on the Control Room (the one with the gold swordsman at the end). He sees the commander, freaks, and immediately jumps into a turret. I groan, thinking he's totally dead meat... but he runs into an ai quirk, instead. :)

The elite runs directly towards him - and he's pointing the gun right at the elite. The elite runs into the turret... and keeps running, but it's like one of those cartoons where the big guy holds his hand on the head of the little guy, while the little guy tries vainly to punch him... the elite can't reach with the sword, but it's not willing to look for a longer (but more effective) route.

After watching the silly standoff for a while (the turret's shots going over the commander's head, the commander running futilely towards the base of the turret), I asked Ben to experiment a bit. I was curious to see whether he could reach from a different angle... so he swiveled the base. Yup, no problem - first shot took down his shields, and a good chunk of his health. (Thank goodness for Easy, eh? :) ) The second shot missed Ben, but knocked the Shade half over - it teetered on two legs, then fell back onto all 4. He quickly rotated back so that he was facing the commander again... and the standoff was on again.

Eventually, the commander got killed - every 10 or 15th shot grazed the top of his head, and eventually wore down his health.

I doubt the AI responds this way on any other difficulty (it just seemed so braindead to keep running when it was clear he wasn't getting anywhere)... but maybe someone should test it. :)

Message Index

Replies:

lol - AI follies *minor sp*Louis Wu 1/26/02 9:16 a.m.
     Re: lol - AI follies *minor sp*The Master Chief 1/26/02 4:23 p.m.
           Re: lol - AI follies *minor sp*ferrex 1/26/02 5:08 p.m.
                 Re: lol - AI follies *minor sp*Gorehead 1/26/02 5:27 p.m.
     Similar event.vector4O 1/26/02 6:48 p.m.
           Re: Similar event.vector4O 1/26/02 8:41 p.m.
                 Re: Similar event.DaNewb 1/26/02 10:03 p.m.
                 Re: Similar event.Dark Angel § 1/27/02 9:12 a.m.
     My boy can take your boy (vlt)Miguel Chavez 1/28/02 2:18 a.m.
           Your boy can take ME...Louis Wu 1/28/02 10:41 a.m.
                 Re: Your boy can take ME...FriendlyFire 1/28/02 11:59 a.m.
                 Re: Your boy can take ME...Miguel Chavez 1/28/02 5:59 p.m.
                       Re: Your boy can take ME...Louis Wu 1/28/02 6:08 p.m.
                             Re: Important Question...Lophan 1/29/02 7:20 a.m.
                                   Re: Important Question...Louis Wu 1/29/02 7:39 a.m.
           Re: My boy can take your boy (vlt)Doug Zartman 1/29/02 7:44 p.m.
                 Re: My boy can take your boy (vlt)vector40 1/29/02 8:55 p.m.
                 Re: My boy can take your boy (vlt)Louis Wu 1/29/02 9:11 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.