Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Of Facts and Figurines
Posted By: HawkiDate: 8/13/12 6:06 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Of Facts and Figurines (Quirel)

: *Facedesk*

: Well, yes, of course there's going to be factions like that hanging around,
: though if they're still following the Prophets, I'd expect the Brutes to
: outnumber the Elites.

: But honestly, we've fought these guys before. Bringing the Covenant back as
: they were for 3/5 Halo games verges on creative bankruptcy.

Giving some benefit of the doubt here, I can understand the lack of jiralhanae so far. Brutes have tended to be harder enemies than the other Covenant species, and while they took over from the Elites in 'Halo 3' as your standard, reasonably hard to kill foe, they showed up later in both 'Halo 2' and 'Reach.' At least in the latter they were harder to kill than their Elite variants.

: The fact that the 'Golden Tripod' of the Covenant (Elites, Jackals, Grunts)
: seem to be unchanged, and that they're poking around for Forerunner
: megaweapons at the behest of a Prophet.

: Yes, Elites who still believe in the Great Journey are going to be around.
: Given the attempted genocide by the Prophets and the reveal of what the
: Halo array actually does, they'd be in the minority, but they'd still
: exist. But the fact that 343i's brand spanking new take on the Halo
: universe has these guys as enemies smells too much like a reset button to
: me.

True, it's established that there are some sangheili that still believe in the Great Journey. I'm not disputing that. It's just that IMO, "The Storm" seems like too generic a name and at odds with Covenant naming conventions. Their ships and fleets, for instance, tend to follow a noun/adjective format, such as "Fleet (noun) of "Glorious Consequence (adjective). We also have "Servants" (noun) of "Abiding Truth" (adverb, in that abiding is 'describing' the type of truth). Just "the Storm" seems at odds with this, especially since they're more of an 'old Covenant' (old beliefs) than a new one, in a sense.

It's also what it symbolizes. I don't want to wax lyrical, but one thing I noticed with 'Glasslands' were that things that should have been relevant to the plot (as per its interquel status) were generally thrown in as vague plot points rather than treated as large reveals. Seeing the UNSC having a base above Installation 03 was more of a "by the way, we know where this Halo is now" rather than "OMG...they've found another Halo...I'm very concerned as to what could happen based on what happened at the last two" for instance At the least, the Servants of Abiding Truth were interwoven into the plot. True, we have 'The Thursday War' still to come before 'Halo 4,' but even so...

Message Index

Replies:

Of Facts and FigurinesHawki 8/13/12 5:35 a.m.
     SP ^ *NM*Urban Reflex 8/13/12 7:30 a.m.
     Re: Of Facts and Figurines *SP*NotTheVacuum 8/13/12 8:39 a.m.
     Re: Of Facts and FigurinesQuirel 8/13/12 12:14 p.m.
           Re: Of Facts and FigurinesNotTheVacuum 8/13/12 12:32 p.m.
                 Re: Of Facts and FigurinesQuirel 8/13/12 4:44 p.m.
                       Re: Of Facts and FigurinesHawki 8/13/12 6:06 p.m.
                             Re: Of Facts and FigurinesQuirel 8/14/12 12:33 a.m.
                                   Re: Of Facts and FigurinesHawki 8/14/12 2:37 a.m.
                       Re: Of Facts and FigurinesGeneral Vagueness 8/14/12 12:47 p.m.
                             Re: Of Facts and FigurinesQuirel 8/14/12 3:25 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.