Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Mostly agree
Posted By: davidfuchs <davelikesdinos@gmail.com>Date: 6/6/12 3:46 p.m.

In Response To: Violence in E3 games and lack of creativity. (mneo)

: Halo 4 gets a positive mention in this 1Up article . They discuss how most
: "big" games were marketed with very violent scenes, but Halo
: didn't.

: That's what I like about the way Halo has always been marketed, they don't
: have to show an elephant being stabbed in the face (God of War), nor does
: the Master Chief curse every three seconds for no reason (Literally every
: shooter shown in this E3).

I think while the argument was a bit muddled, there was a coherent piece of truth to it. "The Last of Us" and "Tomb Raider" sounded appealing to me because they were going to emphasize more survival.

What always bothered me about ND's "Uncharted" was the massive disconnect between the cinematic "Don't hurt my friends with your bullets" Nathan Drake and the gameplay "I've killed 300+ enemies in this one play through, according to stats" Nathan Drake. It undermined the entire story, especially since everyone acted like it was no big deal. And here "The Last of Us" shows a guy taking multiple gunshots and unloading dozens of rounds with no regards to the fact that those bullets don't fall from trees.

Whether or not the stabbing/shooting in the face is the norm for the games, the fact that the devs are emphasizing it is still bothersome. Don't you want to sell people on your game's true merits? If the violence isn't the main focus why are you representing it as such?

I'd also say Halo doesn't meet the same threshold as most of these games because the amount of blood is pretty constrained (and not smeared on your screen) and, in a welcome break from reality, we don't have Spartans and enemies being blown apart by grenades or rockets.

Forward Unto Dawn

Message Index

Replies:

Violence in E3 games and lack of creativity.mneo 6/6/12 3:06 p.m.
     Re: Violence in E3 games and lack of creativity.Beckx 6/6/12 3:17 p.m.
           Re: Violence in E3 games and lack of creativity.mneo 6/6/12 3:24 p.m.
                 Re: Violence in E3 games and lack of creativity.Beckx 6/6/12 3:27 p.m.
     Mostly agreedavidfuchs 6/6/12 3:46 p.m.
           Re: Mostly agreeBeckx 6/6/12 3:51 p.m.
                 Re: Mostly agreedavidfuchs 6/6/12 3:59 p.m.
                       Re: Mostly agreeBeckx 6/6/12 4:15 p.m.
                             Re: Mostly agreebluerunner 6/6/12 4:23 p.m.
                                   Re: Mostly agreeGeneral Vagueness 6/6/12 7:49 p.m.
     Re: Violence in E3 games and lack of creativity.General Vagueness 6/6/12 4:06 p.m.
           Re: Violence in E3 games and lack of creativity.mneo 6/6/12 4:18 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.