Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: UH-144 Falcon ... Now in X-Plane!
Posted By: Mid7night <pakrat961@yahoo.com>Date: 1/21/12 12:28 p.m.

In Response To: Re: UH-144 Falcon ... Now in X-Plane! (scarab)

: As I understand it X-Plane actually models airflow over the lifting and
: control surfaces so does that mean that we could make a real Falcon and
: expect it to fly? Or have you had to fudge something to make it fly
: in-game?

Yes, X-Plane actually simulates lifting surfaces using Blade Element Theory and all the associated physics. Check out X-Plane.com for a more detailed description.

As for how I made this Falcon, a little of both realism and fudge. Whenever I recreate a Halo-craft in X-Plane (and I've done pretty much all of them so far), my goal is to make the physical flightmodel as REAL as possible, however certain things have to be fudged because we don't live in 2552. The biggest thing that gets fudged is the powerplants, especially on the Hornet and Longsword. For the Hornet, there just aren't engines that small in real life that make the required thrust, and have the required throttle-response to perform as we see it in-game. The other thing that gets fudged is the weights, although this is more due to the fact that there's almost no data on how much things weigh (save for a few ground vehicles and large spacecraft).

For this Falcon, I already had a pretty decent flightmodel going that I made from viewing the Reach trailer way back when. So when No-Triangle came along with their hi-def model for Faith, I just had to animate it and throw it on! So it has a hi-def visual exterior model and a real flightmodel underneath.

- BSAV -

Message Index

Replies:

UH-144 Falcon ... Now in X-Plane!Mid7night 1/21/12 1:58 a.m.
     Re: UH-144 Falcon ... Now in X-Plane!scarab 1/21/12 7:00 a.m.
           Re: UH-144 Falcon ... Now in X-Plane!Mid7night 1/21/12 12:28 p.m.
           Re: UH-144 Falcon ... Now in X-Plane!Bry 1/21/12 2:14 p.m.
                 Re: UH-144 Falcon ... Now in X-Plane!Mid7night 1/21/12 2:54 p.m.
     Re: UH-144 Falcon ... Now in X-Plane!Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/21/12 7:53 a.m.
           Re: UH-144 Falcon ... Now in X-Plane!Mid7night 1/21/12 12:00 p.m.
                 Re: UH-144 Falcon ... Now in X-Plane!Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/21/12 12:58 p.m.
     Re: UH-144 Falcon ... Now in X-Plane! *NM*lol-117 1/22/12 11:14 p.m.
           Re: UH-144 Falcon ... Now in X-Plane!lol-117 1/22/12 11:15 p.m.
                 Re: UH-144 Falcon ... Now in X-Plane!Mid7night 1/22/12 11:48 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.