Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Question on visibility in space.
Posted By: UNSC TrafalgarDate: 1/2/12 11:43 p.m.

In Response To: Question on visibility in space. (Postmortem)

Unless it had a significant light source producing enough light to illuminate the exterior I don't believe you'd be able to pick it out against the black of space except for the fact that it would block out a significant disk of stars.

Assuming the object is illuminated and it is reflective I'd say it'd be similar to looking at Jupiter or another planet. I'd imagine we would need to keep in mind that the size of this shield world is huge, so it'd be reasonable to assume that it would look like any other planet at a proportional distance. Sort of like a golf ball and a basketball looking the same size from a different set of distances from the observer.

It'd work like what we can see outside in the northern hemisphere right now; Venus, Jupiter, Rigel and Betelgeuse appear more or less the same size but are all vastly different distances from our view point. I'd imagine that's how this shield world would look from a certain distance away, assumin it was sufficiently illuminated.
Approaching the construct would eventully cause the observers field of view to be completely obstructed by the said object. Even hundreds of thousands of miles away from the surface the view
May be similar to going outside and looking at the dirt and pretending you're in a space ship looking at a shield world!

On the surface of the exterior it'd be similar to our horizon, depending on atmospheric conditions the horizon may be hidden by atmospheric optics and haze since its such a large surface and it's likely to be something akin to the view a grain of same would have on our planet.

The inside most likely would be similar to Halo, except all encompassing and with similar discoloration found on the Ring's far side and similar to the fading found on the ark. It'd be visible if properly illuminated, and atmospheric conditions shouldn't pose a major problem since I'd seriously doubt the entire sphere would have atmospheric pressure. That's be too much pressure on the structure and would be too conductive to safely have a star I'm the center. (I'm pretty sure that's how the shield world was built, although I could be mistaken.)

I hope that is helpful, and hopefully I didn't go way off course and miss your inquiry completely!

Message Index

Replies:

Question on visibility in space.Postmortem 1/2/12 10:46 p.m.
     Re: Question on visibility in space.uberfoop 1/2/12 11:29 p.m.
           Oh, durr...uberfoop 1/2/12 11:39 p.m.
           Re: Question on visibility in space.Metalingus627 1/2/12 11:43 p.m.
     Re: Question on visibility in space.UNSC Trafalgar 1/2/12 11:43 p.m.
           Re: Question on visibility in space.Gravemind 1/3/12 1:34 a.m.
                 Re: Question on visibility in space.Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/3/12 5:49 a.m.
                       Re: Question on visibility in space.UNSC Trafalgar 1/3/12 9:57 a.m.
                             Re: Question on visibility in space.Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/3/12 10:21 a.m.
                                   Re: Question on visibility in space.Gravemind 1/3/12 6:34 p.m.
                                         Re: Question on visibility in space.Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/3/12 6:49 p.m.
                                               Re: Question on visibility in space.Gravemind 1/4/12 3:14 a.m.
                                                     Re: Question on visibility in space.FyreWulff 1/4/12 5:32 a.m.
                                                           Re: Question on visibility in space.Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/4/12 5:51 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Question on visibility in space.FyreWulff 1/5/12 7:57 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Question on visibility in space.Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/5/12 8:10 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Question on visibility in space.DEEP NNN 1/5/12 8:32 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Question on visibility in space.Louis Wu 1/5/12 8:35 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Question on visibility in space.DEEP NNN 1/5/12 8:41 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Question on visibility in space.Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/5/12 9:29 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Question on visibility in space.bluerunner 1/5/12 8:54 a.m.
                                                           Re: Question on visibility in space.Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/4/12 6:45 a.m.
     Re: Question on visibility in space.General Vagueness 1/2/12 11:58 p.m.
           Glasslands Spoilers7he grunt w/a plasma pistol 1/3/12 12:46 a.m.
                 Re: Glasslands SpoilersGeneral Vagueness 1/3/12 11:13 a.m.
     Re: Question on visibility in space.Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/3/12 5:55 a.m.
           Re: Question on visibility in space. *SP*JDQuackers 1/3/12 6:48 a.m.
                 Re: Question on visibility in space. *SP*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/3/12 8:25 a.m.
           3 words: Giant Forerunner umbrellastabbim 1/3/12 12:40 p.m.
                 Re: 3 words: Giant Forerunner umbrellaStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/3/12 1:20 p.m.
                       Re: 3 words: Giant Forerunner umbrellastabbim 1/3/12 2:43 p.m.
                       Re: 3 words: Giant Forerunner umbrellaMetalingus627 1/3/12 2:52 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.