Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Freelancer-specific backstory *Long* *Spoilers*
Posted By: 7he grunt w/a plasma pistolDate: 6/21/11 3:45 p.m.

In Response To: I need to rewatch the entire series. (Dustbunny27)

: I have NO idea what is going on. I slightly remember some of the Freelancers,
: but not enough to understand their importance.

I'm currently re-watching the series myself, getting caught up on everything. But here's the gist of the Freelancer-specific stuff from Recovery One and Reconstruction, without connecting it to the Blood Gulch Chronicles. From memory:

Project Freelancer was the RvB Verse equivalent to the Spartan Program. However, they were created specifically to fight the Covenant, rather than being re-purposed rebellion crushers. Genetically-enhanced soldiers augmented with powered armor. In addition, they also possessed armor abilities (cloaking, advanced motion trackers, bubble shields, etc.) and artificial intelligence programs to help run the abilities. Each Freelancer Agent was given a codename based upon one of the U.S. States, (i.e. Texas, Washington, South Dakota) and each A.I. was named after a letter of the Greek alphabet (i.e. Delta, Omega, Epsilon).

Unfortunately, the program was only able to get a single A.I. to use. This A.I. was the Alpha, patterned after the mind of the Director of Project Freelancer. Since they needed many more A.I. for their experimental program, they tried to copy it. When that didn't work, torture was used instead. The AI, Alpha, broke down like a multiple personality disorder and fragmented itself into many smaller A.I. programs. These fragments were, in essence, the compartmentalized emotions of Alpha: Logic, Creativity, Deceit, Rage, etc. They were then assigned to the various Freelancer Agents.

Things did not go perfectly, however. Agent Carolina was assigned two A.I.s, in a smaller experiment within the Freelancer Program. She was soon driven mad by having three minds inside her head at once. Epsilon, being the memories of Alpha, was unable to cope with knowing of the horrors inflicted on it by the Director and his staff. His assigned Agent, Washington, learned of these horrors during Epsilons breakdown. Fearing another A.I. would be able to learn of this, Wash refused to have another assigned to him. His superiors mistakenly believed that this meant he could be trusted, and so Wash was assigned to retrieving the A.I. units from Agents killed in the field.

The worst of these was arguably Agent Maine. For unidentified reasons, he started hunting and killing his fellow Freelancers. Maine would then strip their armor of any abilities, and download the A.I. into his own. Agent Washington was set on the trail of Maine, now calling himself the Meta, whose ultimate goal appeared to be the remnants of Alpha. Following an attack on a training outpost by the Meta, Wash decided to bring in some help in the form of soldiers who'd dealt with Freelancers before. Specifically, a small group of soldiers from a little box canyon in the middle of nowhere...

And that's pretty much the significance of the Freelancers in Red vs Blue. I tied it in to BGC at the end, because there's not much more I think I could say without connecting RvB seasons 1-5 to RvB season 6 and beyond.

Message Index

Replies:

New Red vs Blue up7he grunt w/a plasma pistol 6/20/11 9:24 p.m.
     Re: New Red vs Blue upTDSpiral 6/20/11 9:49 p.m.
           Re: New Red vs Blue upSqorck 6/20/11 10:10 p.m.
                 Re: New Red vs Blue upTDSpiral 6/21/11 12:10 a.m.
                       Re: New Red vs Blue upSqorck 6/21/11 1:18 a.m.
                             'Attention, Assholes:'Tex 6/21/11 1:48 a.m.
                                   Re: 'Attention, iliketocallnames:'Sqorck 6/21/11 2:21 a.m.
                                         Re: 'Attention, iliketocallnames:'Tex 6/21/11 2:30 a.m.
                                               Re: 'Attention, iliketocallnames:'Sqorck 6/21/11 2:57 a.m.
                                                     Re: 'Attention, iliketocallnames:'Li11y32 6/21/11 1:31 p.m.
                                                           Re: 'Attention, iliketocallnames:'Sqorck 6/22/11 3:15 a.m.
                                   Re: 'Attention, Assholes:'mattroe 6/21/11 6:36 a.m.
                             Re: New Red vs Blue upsithhead 6/21/11 2:45 a.m.
                             Re: New Red vs Blue upBanditORR 6/21/11 6:34 a.m.
                             RvBSSN9isNotCanon.net *NM*JDQuackers 6/21/11 7:57 a.m.
                 Re: New Red vs Blue upJDQuackers 6/21/11 7:20 a.m.
           Indeed it was *Spoilers*7he grunt w/a plasma pistol 6/21/11 8:20 a.m.
                 I need to rewatch the entire series.Dustbunny27 6/21/11 11:59 a.m.
                       Freelancer-specific backstory *Long* *Spoilers*7he grunt w/a plasma pistol 6/21/11 3:45 p.m.
                 Re: Indeed it was *Spoilers*MoltenSlowa 6/21/11 3:34 p.m.
     Re: New Red vs Blue upFoolsRun 6/22/11 9:06 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.