Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo Reach Forge Map (Altered Gravity) Cubeske
Posted By: Lee Georgeton <lgeorgeton@bendbroadband.com>Date: 6/18/11 12:17 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Halo Reach Forge Map (Altered Gravity) Cubeske (Hedgemony)

I finished the first Cubeskew a few weeks after Reach came out. I actually hadn't initially intended to include the spiral portions in the map. I had been experimenting simultaneously, but separately, with Escher-esque stairs/architecture and spiral aesthetics. When I finished the cube portion, I had actually intended to continue the jumping puzzles on the immediate exterior of the cube (mostly underneath so that a fall resulted in falling to your death). I think I just got burnt out on it and really wanted to introduce those spiral constructions to the community. The way I rationalized it at the time was to think of the pretty spirals as a kind of aesthetic reward for making it out of the cube.

For this new one, the exterior portion will be a mix of that aesthetic reward and more complicated puzzle solving. There is a portion of the experience I think everyone will really enjoy, but I think discussing it now will lessen the effect. As far as what I've learned from making the first, I'd say that there are no real shortcuts to creating a fun, engaging experience for players. Both these maps are really taxing as far a puzzle creation and forging is concerned, especially this new one. I'll definitely be considering your comments as I finish up over the next few weeks.

Halo Reach Forge Map (Altered Gravity) Cubeskew 2

Message Index

Replies:

Halo Reach Forge Map (Altered Gravity) Cubeskew 2Lee Georgeton 6/17/11 2:14 a.m.
     Re: Halo Reach Forge Map (Altered Gravity) CubeskeHedgemony 6/17/11 2:25 a.m.
           Re: Halo Reach Forge Map (Altered Gravity) CubeskeLee Georgeton 6/18/11 12:17 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.