glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: NPC Design Critique (or, Kat vs. Alyx Vance!)
Posted By: scarabDate: 10/25/10 1:19 p.m.

In Response To: Re: NPC Design Critique (or, Kat vs. Alyx Vance!) (Grunt Hammer)

: More on-topic, I think the Noble NPCs should have BEEN MUCH MUCH BETTER AT
: TAKING COVER!! You're "taking fire"?? Then GTFO and get behind a
: rock, until your shields recharge!

Definitely. It really blows away any suspension of disbelief when you always have to take cover and they can stand in the open complaining about the hits that they are taking.

I feel that having story significant, therefore unkillable, allies is like duel wielding: you can try to come up with ways of mitigating the suck but the gameplay would be so much better if they were just removed altogether. I'm not sure why people wanted to play with a team of Spartans (because I could never see how the gameplay could be made to work) but I doubt that what we got was remotely like what people actually wanted (genuinely kick ass Spartan teammates).

: Another problem is where the NPCs (including marines) INSIST on certain
: stupid actions, like in that one mission with the missile 'hog. I want to
: sit there and strafe the mine building, but Kat INSISTS on getting in and
: driving. I have to shoot her and wait for her to slink off over to the
: marines. Then the other marine insists on driving, and won't stop until I
: *kill* him. And earlier in the mission, if you hop out for ammo or to
: investigate something, everybody *instantly* gets out of the 'hog and take
: their own sweet time about getting back in. Really, seriously, totally
: irritating.

How about using some of the unused buttons when you are gunning.

[A] Toggles movement

if the Hog is moving then [A] tells driver to stop, if he's stopped then [A] tells him to drive

[Y] Toggles position

Triggers an animation* that switches positions with the gunner or driver (depending on if you are gunning or driving)

And the LAAG's handles could have a joystick on them that lets the gunner remotely direct the HOG without a driver or, if that's too good for people to accept, then it could display instructions on the instrument panel to let the driver know which direction to move in. I am thinking more in terms of fine positioning for gunning as opposed to driving the hog from the gunner's position. If there is a tree in the way then you could get the driver to move ten feet to the left, that kind of thing.

*The animation would take two forms

If someone in the passenger seat then he/she grabs the wheel and the gunner does a direct swap withe the driver on the move.

If there is no passenger then the gunner takes that position and then grabs the wheel and scoots across as the driver moves back into the gunnery position.

Message Index

Replies:

NPC Design Critique (or, Kat vs. Alyx Vance!)General Battuta 10/24/10 12:41 p.m.
     Re: NPC Design Critique (or, Kat vs. Alyx Vance!)Cody Miller 10/24/10 12:44 p.m.
           Re: NPC Design Critique (or, Kat vs. Alyx Vance!)General Battuta 10/24/10 12:46 p.m.
                 Re: NPC Design Critique (or, Kat vs. Alyx Vance!)Leviathan 10/24/10 1:48 p.m.
                       Re: NPC Design Critique (or, Kat vs. Alyx Vance!)Jillybean 10/24/10 4:05 p.m.
                       Re: NPC Design Critique (or, Kat vs. Alyx Vance!)Cody Miller 10/24/10 4:13 p.m.
                             Re: NPC Design Critique (or, Kat vs. Alyx Vance!)General Battuta 10/24/10 4:13 p.m.
                                   Re: NPC Design Critique (or, Kat vs. Alyx Vance!)Cody Miller 10/24/10 4:19 p.m.
                 Re: NPC Design Critique (or, Kat vs. Alyx Vance!)Grunt Hammer 10/24/10 3:32 p.m.
                       Re: NPC Design Critique (or, Kat vs. Alyx Vance!)scarab 10/25/10 1:19 p.m.
                             Re: NPC Design Critique (or, Kat vs. Alyx Vance!)scarab 10/25/10 1:29 p.m.
     ...Why isn't this at HRINC?DHalo 10/24/10 1:07 p.m.
           Re: ...Why isn't this at HRINC?General Battuta 10/24/10 1:39 p.m.
                 Re: ...Why isn't this at HRINC?GrimBrother One 10/24/10 2:17 p.m.
     Ah never mind.DHalo 10/24/10 1:10 p.m.
     Re: NPC Design Critique (or, Kat vs. Alyx Vance!)SonofMacPhisto 10/24/10 1:36 p.m.
           Re: NPC Design Critique (or, Kat vs. Alyx Vance!)General Battuta 10/24/10 1:40 p.m.
                 Re: NPC Design Critique (or, Kat vs. Alyx Vance!)Leviathan 10/24/10 2:13 p.m.
                       Re: NPC Design Critique (or, Kat vs. Alyx Vance!)SonofMacPhisto 10/24/10 2:26 p.m.
                             AddendumSonofMacPhisto 10/24/10 2:28 p.m.
                                   Re: AddendumLeviathan 10/24/10 2:44 p.m.
                                         Re: AddendumSonofMacPhisto 10/24/10 3:18 p.m.
                                               Game Exchange ProgramLeviathan 10/24/10 3:33 p.m.
                                                     Re: Game Exchange ProgramSonofMacPhisto 10/24/10 4:49 p.m.
                                               I support this.IccaRa 10/24/10 4:13 p.m.
                                                     Emile + Romeo = BunkJillybean 10/24/10 4:46 p.m.
                                                           Re: Emile + Romeo = BunkSonofMacPhisto 10/24/10 4:52 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Emile + Romeo = BunkJillybean 10/24/10 5:31 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Emile + Romeo = BunkBry 10/24/10 7:31 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Emile + Romeo = BunkSonofMacPhisto 10/24/10 8:23 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Emile + Romeo = BunkThe Loot 10/24/10 8:43 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Emile + Romeo = BunkBry 10/24/10 8:51 p.m.
                                                     Re: I support this.Beckx 10/24/10 7:43 p.m.
                                                           Re: I support this.SonofMacPhisto 10/24/10 8:24 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I support this.Beckx 10/24/10 8:41 p.m.
                                         Re: AddendumLeviathan 10/24/10 3:30 p.m.
                                               Re: AddendumSonofMacPhisto 10/24/10 4:51 p.m.
     NPC Dialogueuberfoop 10/24/10 2:40 p.m.
           Re: NPC DialogueMoorpheusl9 10/24/10 3:23 p.m.
                 Re: NPC DialogueGeneral Battuta 10/24/10 3:27 p.m.
                       Re: NPC DialogueMoorpheusl9 10/24/10 3:30 p.m.
     Re: NPC Design Critique (or, Kat vs. Alyx Vance!)TCKaos 10/24/10 5:30 p.m.
     Re: NPC Design Critique (or, Kat vs. Alyx Vance!)Kermit 10/24/10 5:32 p.m.
     Re: dialogue is repetitivekornman00 10/24/10 5:47 p.m.
           I think my big problemGeneral Battuta 10/24/10 5:55 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.