Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo Wars spotted on XBL
Posted By: DHalo <dhalo117@yahoo.com>Date: 4/19/08 8:50 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Halo Wars spotted on XBL (scarab)

: I doubt that there will be too much resource gathering, or unit research
: considering that games will be around 10 - 20 minutes long.

: I really don't know how the usual RTS staples can fit into what I understand
: of the Halo Wars scenario.

: In the books, the Covenant kick ass in space so its hard to understand how
: the Spirit of Fire can hang around in orbit for any length of time.

: The Covenant don't land unless there is something they want. They just 'nuke'
: the planet from orbit.

Remember the intro to Fall of Reach. Jericho 7, was it? Let's put it this way. If we are able to call on Spartans to fight, battles could be at least somewhat won. Which I'm sure we can. Secondly, I have a feeling this storyline is going to reveal a lot of secret ONI crap. I'm sure the covies want something. That, and that Halo in the background in that picture. It has been given the smirk when asked about it. Something is up.

: But anyway, I doubt that any battles on a colony would take very long. What
: research can an outlying colony hope to achieve in a couple of weeks tops?
: How many civies could be trained up to elite unit status?

If researching units is a factor, my assumption is that it will take place over the length of the campaign, so that you might have better units as time goes on.

: How do the Humans win? In the Bungie Haloverse they never did until the end.

: Do Humans 'win' if they kill the first wave?

: Are there objectives? Defend a space port whilst civies escape?

: Board and capture a downed Covie Cruiser (like the Truth &
: Reconciliation)?

: Blow up a Forerunner structure/treasure/artifact?

All good questions. We shall wait and see.

: Should there be much unit replenishment? Does it make any sense to have
: buildings that make vehicles in your UNSC bases? Does it make sense to
: have bases when you could be 'nuked' from orbit?

If the game is like World in Conflict (I don't own it, but man is that game fun), unit points are replenished when they are killed. You can call in drops, but they take a while, and you can't call another till the dropship returns. My idea for what Halo Wars might do is that you might be able to constantly shove out the soldiers you've killed, but you've gotta drive them all the way up to where you died. That, and maybe if the Covenant are trying to march on your base, you're really strapped for time, in that sense.

: Unit replacement could work on a scattered army model. I'm thinking of the
: initial PoA landing on Halo. If you landed on a ring then fog of war makes
: a degree of sense and you discover new units as you explore.

: Will there be fog of war for Humans on a Human colony? You may not know the
: disposition of enemy units but you would know the terrain.

: I wonder if Halo Wars will make sense when it comes out. Will they have
: thought things through and produce a game that makes sense and makes sense
: in the Bungie Haloverse?

: Will they throw away cannon and make a new universe that uses Halo names and
: Warthog physics but doesn't have much else in common with the Bungieverse?

: Will Halo Wars even make sense on its own terms?

I hope so.

Message Index

Replies:

Halo Wars spotted on XBLSpenser 4/18/08 1:46 p.m.
     Re: Halo Wars spotted on XBLmendicantbias00 4/18/08 2:03 p.m.
     Re: Halo Wars spotted on XBLPsychoRaven 4/18/08 3:07 p.m.
           Re: Halo Wars spotted on XBLbluerunner 4/18/08 3:34 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Wars spotted on XBLDHalo 4/18/08 3:43 p.m.
                       Re: Halo Wars spotted on XBLbluerunner 4/18/08 3:59 p.m.
                             Re: Halo Wars spotted on XBLMorpheus 4/18/08 4:01 p.m.
                             Re: Halo Wars spotted on XBLscarab 4/19/08 2:29 a.m.
                                   Re: Halo Wars spotted on XBLDHalo 4/19/08 8:50 a.m.
                                         Re: Halo Wars spotted on XBLscarab 4/19/08 10:00 a.m.
                                               Re: Halo Wars spotted on XBLDHalo 4/19/08 11:04 a.m.
                                                     Re: Halo Wars spotted on XBLelpolloguapo 4/19/08 12:20 p.m.
                                         Re: Halo Wars spotted on XBLelpolloguapo 4/19/08 12:18 p.m.
                                               Re: Halo Wars spotted on XBLDHalo 4/19/08 12:46 p.m.
                                                     Addtional LeverageDHalo 4/19/08 1:03 p.m.
                                                           Re: Addtional LeveragePurity of Desolation 4/21/08 1:49 p.m.
                                                     Want to know why I think it's Delta Halo?elpolloguapo 4/19/08 5:39 p.m.
                                                           Re: Want to know why I think it's Delta Halo?DHalo 4/19/08 5:59 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Want to know why I think it's Delta Halo?elpolloguapo 4/19/08 6:24 p.m.
                                                           Re: Want to know why I think it's Delta Halo?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 4/19/08 8:18 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Want to know why I think it's Delta Halo?DHalo 4/19/08 8:28 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Want to know why I think it's Delta Halo?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 4/19/08 8:40 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Want to know why I think it's Delta Halo?elpolloguapo 4/19/08 8:58 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Want to know why I think it's Delta Halo?DHalo 4/19/08 9:59 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Want to know why I think it's Delta Halo?Echoes 4/20/08 8:14 p.m.
                                                                       IT BURNS!!!! *NM*elpolloguapo 4/20/08 8:19 p.m.
                                   Re: Halo Wars spotted on XBLPsychophan7 4/19/08 9:12 a.m.
                                         Re: Halo Wars spotted on XBLscarab 4/19/08 9:27 a.m.
                             Re: Halo Wars spotted on XBLSgtSatin 4/19/08 11:47 a.m.
     Alpha huh...?stan 4/19/08 2:38 p.m.
           Five to Eight. *NM*DHalo 4/19/08 2:48 p.m.
           Re: Alpha huh...?Psychophan7 4/19/08 3:11 p.m.
                 Re: Alpha huh...?DHalo 4/19/08 3:21 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.