Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Tooling around in a Pelican...
Posted By: Falcon_868 <kjfalcon@gmail.com>Date: 5/12/07 11:08 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Tooling around in a Pelican... (Mid7night)

: You make some good points, and believe me, choosing where to put that bay
: wasn't done on a whim! I considered the undercut area you mention, but it
: was too close the the engines for my taste. I imagine that that area
: directly in front of the engines would be for engineering and such. I did
: consider the window locations, and I tried to not go too far foward,
: leaving room for crews quarters and the like up front.

: I know it seems like I've taken up a huge chunk of the ship, but there is
: still SO much more internal volume in that thing! If you fly through the
: forward bay wall into the front "cavities" of the ship, it's
: enormous. There is so much freekin space up there. My problem was, where
: else could I put a BIG flat box in which to park airplanes?

: Not to get on Bungie's case too much, but it does seem like some of their
: really big ships actually need to be a bit bigger in order to accomodate
: all that they say they do. OR; maybe on the inside of every UNSC cruiser
: there's one of those spheres that compresses time and space! (like at the
: end of Ghosts of Onyx) :-) Ok maybe not.

: ~ Mid7night
Great work Mid7night, I know from modding FS9 and FSX how much work that must have been! However I would like to share my thoughts on single ship combat/existence in the halo universe

The single ship aspect of space combat in the Halo universe is something that has fascinated me and something that I've though about quit a lot. Perhaps it’s because it's that I fly airplanes in real life and have always been trilled by dogfights and air combat (my first true love in games is military flight simulators) added to my interest in space you get a love for future space combat. Now the halo universe is the only one (save perhaps BSG which although I like I don't like as much) in which I see a semi-realistic idea of future space combat. That being said bungie has left this area of the UNSC military relatively untouched. So Here are my two cents on the issue based on my own experience with flying and limitations of space physics (I know it's different in space) and with my knowledge of current military tactics and how I see them applied in the halo universe.

UNSC Single Ships:

First off I do not believe that longswords, shortsword*, pelicans and albatrosses compose the UNSC navy's full compliment of single ship designs. While the pelican and albatross are able to fit the supply needs of the UNSC the longsword as you already noted is quite large and thus leads me to conclude that the UNSC has a smaller single seat fighter for the purpose of fleet defense, while the longsword acts as more of a fighter bomber and the shortsword (speculation that it is also space capable) acts as a heavy bomber. I see the need for this smaller fighter as two fold, one the longsword is too big to act as an effective fighter especially in a dogfight even though in space size matters not (), mass does and a large fighter like the longsword would still be out maneuvered by smaller craft and two the longsword because of its size is too expensive to produce in the numbers needed to fight the insurrection the UNSC has on its hands let alone the covenant. As for the design of this single ship I have with my poor 3D modeling skills created a general idea of what it would look like.

http://server7.pictiger.com/img/91310/picture-hosting/raven.php

Fighting:
In the Halo Universe I see single ship combat as two very different approaches for the UNSC and the covenant. I see the UNSC as mainly missile based stand-off fighting with dogfighting as more of a less favorable option but by no means a last resort if the enemy gets in close, the missiles are most likely of medium size and have a 80-85% chance of a complete kill against a seraph perhaps less against covenant bombers (possibility) and transports. The missiles are stored internally on drum launchers with plenty to sustain the fighter for about 30-45 minuets of fighting. As far as the covenant their reliance on plasma technology means that single ships lack enough power generation capabilities to sport effective weapons(large plasma weapons able to be guided and still deal appreciable damage), instead the covenant really on numbers to overwhelm UNSC forces. Because of this UNSC kill ratios in single ship combat are most likely favorable in the range of 15-1.

Capital vs. Singleship combat:
As far as singleships taking on capital ships it is clear the Covenant point defenses are far better and therefore make bombing runs against full strength captial ships suicide, on the other hand UNSC point defence can be overwhelmed by covenant attacks and swarms of fighters and bombers pose a threat to under powered UNSC captial ships without support.

Fight carrying capacities.
UNSC capital ships with the exception of frigates and destroyers most carry a compliment of single ship fighters and bombers as far as number I would expect either 4-6 longswords and about 14-16 single fighters as well as it's compliment of pelicans that would make either 1 squadron of longswords or 2 squadrons of smaller fighters for medium sized capital ships and 1 squadron of longswords and 2 squadrons of smaller fighters for larger capital ships or 3-4 squadrons of smaller fighters for larger capital ships. Then for UNSC carriers I would expect several squadrons of small fighters 3-4 and 2 squadrons of longswords for assault or regular carriers and an entire fighter wing for a super carrier aprox 8 squadrons of single ship fighters and 3 squadrons of longswords plus possibly short swords as well.

In parting here are a few of my badly modeled ideas of different UNSC capital ships I hope to improve them after I finish all my AP tests this week (note: some of the class names I created due to lack of halo cannon and I still need to come up with names for some):

http://server6.pictiger.com/img/91979/picture-hosting/missile-destroyer.php

http://server6.pictiger.com/img/91980/picture-hosting/trafalgar-class-super-carrier-.php

http://server6.pictiger.com/img/91981/picture-hosting/light-cruiser-.php

http://server6.pictiger.com/img/91982/picture-hosting/firefly-class-assult-carrier-.php

Please feel free to use them or base designs off them I would love to see them textured and put in a game of some sort.

Message Index

Replies:

Tooling around in a Pelican...Mid7night 5/12/07 4:03 a.m.
     Re: Tooling around in a Pelican...DuBbLe 5/12/07 4:18 a.m.
           Re: Tooling around in a Pelican...Mid7night 5/12/07 4:23 a.m.
                 Re: Tooling around in a Pelican...DuBbLe 5/12/07 4:27 a.m.
           Re: Tooling around in a Pelican...master J.G. 5/13/07 7:28 a.m.
     Now THAT was awesome.RVideo 5/12/07 8:22 a.m.
     Re: Tooling around in a Pelican...Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 5/12/07 8:48 a.m.
           Re: Tooling around in a Pelican...Mid7night 5/12/07 12:42 p.m.
                 Re: Tooling around in a Pelican...Falcon_868 5/12/07 11:08 p.m.
                       P.S.Falcon_868 5/12/07 11:11 p.m.
           Re: Tooling around in a Pelican...Wierd guy off the street 5/12/07 10:52 p.m.
                 Re: Tooling around in a Pelican...Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 5/13/07 8:53 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.