Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: EDGE Article Now Online!
Posted By: chargeorge <chargeorge@gmail.com>Date: 1/18/07 6:33 p.m.

In Response To: Re: EDGE Article Now Online! (Cody Miller)

: “I fucking cannot play Halo 2 multiplayer. I cannot do it. And that’s why I
: know Halo 3 is going to be so much better."

: I was really suprised to read this! Was the situation really that dire? I
: know of the faults with the campaign, but I always thought the muliplayer
: went smoothly and as intended by Bungie. This is really interesting. On
: one level, it doesn't really sit well with me knowing that a member of the
: team hated a portion of the game this feverishly… I mean, I wonder how
: that could happen in a studio where everybody interacts as they say they
: do: line of sight communication, close knit desks etc.

Bungie's matchmaking servic, ranking system, and stat tracking was smooth sailing, and has yet to be surpassed. There were some major flaws in the MP, especially V1.0 where you HAD to DW to survive, grenades and melee were pointless, and the BR was barely useful at midrange. Post 1.1 the game still suffers from a few bugs, and bad design choices. No Nade jumping off host? Super jumping? Animation Cancels? All problematic. There's still too much auto aim, and still too much of a focus on Dual Wielding in some places. And the weapon spawning system is still fundamentally broken.

Despite all that, it's a great Multiplayer game. Flaws and all, it's an amazing, emotional experience. So I can see where Butcher has a problem, it can be really hard to look at something you created and feel like it's not all it could be. To see all the regrets you have about the game, and be totally frank about them.

It's easy to get into that situation, just get so deep into something, feel good about it, release it and, start seeing it from the other side. Come back two years later and dislike it in the end. I've had a couple projects here at work that I thought were great, and then I just couldn't stand it a few months later. What's important is that you learn from those mistakes, and figure out how to do it better the next time around.

Char

Message Index

Replies:

EDGE Article Now Online!Drakkari 1/18/07 5:08 p.m.
     Re: EDGE Article Now Online!Black Guard 1/18/07 5:51 p.m.
     Re: EDGE Article Now Online!Cody Miller 1/18/07 6:16 p.m.
           Re: EDGE Article Now Online!chargeorge 1/18/07 6:33 p.m.
                 The most important thing in the world...Jman 1/18/07 7:09 p.m.
                       Re: The most important thing in the world...Captain Spark 1/18/07 9:01 p.m.
                             Re: The most important thing in the world...Jman 1/18/07 9:24 p.m.
                                   Re: The most important thing in the world...TelTura 1/18/07 10:51 p.m.
                             You know what was honestly missing that? *s-OT*Spartan Jag 1/18/07 11:03 p.m.
                                   Re: You know what was honestly missing that? *s-OTCaptain Spark 1/18/07 11:37 p.m.
                                   Needs more Cowbell *NM*Schedonnardus 1/19/07 8:58 a.m.
                                   Re: You know what was honestly missing that? *s-OTRed_Breast 1/19/07 10:54 a.m.
                                         If any HL game has that 30 sec, Portal might *NM*mercury 1/19/07 2:14 p.m.
                                         Re: You know what was honestly missing that? *s-OTBlack Guard 1/19/07 7:38 p.m.
                                               Re: You know what was honestly missing that? *s-OTRed_Breast 1/20/07 12:39 p.m.
     Re: EDGE Article Now Online!GhaleonEB 1/18/07 7:36 p.m.
     Re: EDGE Article Now Online!Ducain 1/18/07 9:29 p.m.
           Re: EDGE Article Now Online!Jman 1/18/07 10:02 p.m.
                 Re: EDGE Article Now Online!Louis Wu 1/19/07 5:52 a.m.
     Re: EDGE Article Now Online!Drakkari 1/18/07 11:00 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.